Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Nope!

I didn't like the Red Lanterns before they hijacked Supergirl. Having her join them and their merry murder campaign only made me avoid them more than ever.

There is nothing cool about taking an already unlikable character and making her even MORE unlikable, violent, and brutal than she's already been.
    But you still want to like her, yes? I mean, this is the appreciation thread. Have you read any of the Red Lanterns books? I liked Milligan's run but people seem a lot more fond of Soule.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But you still want to like her, yes? I mean, this is the appreciation thread. Have you read any of the Red Lanterns books? I liked Milligan's run but people seem a lot more fond of Soule.
    Yes, I want to like her. DC has just tried very hard to make her unlikable for three years now. I was growing tired of her unlikable characterization before the Red Lantern nonsense was announced. This was JUST the spur I needed to drop her book altogether. And I'm not even considering following it again until I hear of a definite change for the better in her.

I read every Red Lantern issue right up until the moment that they hijacked Supergirl. I didn't like a single one. The entire Red Lantern concept doesn't appeal to me. Even Charles Soule can't convince me that the Reds are anything other than villains.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Amazing Member

I think it's a problem of DC not knowing what to do with Kara. So, to distance her from the likable, straight minded Kal El they make her angry and rough around the edges.

All it takes is a writer with the right story pitch to make her more likable.

Spectacular Member

a teen age superhero with godlike powers and equally enough chances to mess things up trying to prove herself...either to the world around her or to the only person she can relate to as a kind of a parental mentoring presence

if they did it amazingly well in young justice cartoon i hardly see why it would be a huge issue to pull off in supergirl comics :/

Quote Originally Posted by Super4Ever View Post
    I think it's a problem of DC not knowing what to do with Kara. So, to distance her from the likable, straight minded Kal El they make her angry and rough around the edges.

All it takes is a writer with the right story pitch to make her more likable.
    Yes, I agree.

It's also the fact that DC, like Marvel, is convinced that EVERY teenager in existence is exactly the same character: an angsty, irrational emotional hurricane 24/7.

As far as writers? Jeff Lemire has already stated that he intends to give Kara a home among the Justice League: United. Kara will be around Stargirl and this new Equinox character, both of whom seem much more positive and upbeat. Hopefully, with two positive peers her own age, Kara will improve dramatically in JLU.

And I will give credit where credit is due. Tony Bedard has said that the Red Lantern story is supposed to be the first step in making Kara a more likable character. He and Soule claim that the red ring crap is supposed to work like a "therapy session." I understand what they're going with there, but that's a load of crap. Red rings don't help you DEAL with your anger, they let your anger consume you. You don't "get over" your anger with a red ring. You wallow in it.

But anyway, thankfully the Red Lantern arc is short and once it's over, Bedard claims he's going to work on improving her. So between him and Lemire, I'm hopeful that Kara is heading for some better days.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It's also the fact that DC, like Marvel, is convinced that EVERY teenager in existence is exactly the same character: an angsty, irrational emotional hurricane 24/7.
    The problem with facts like these is that they are not facts. I wouldn't be sure DC is out to make Vanguard-01 angry. I enjoy it, but they're not out to specifically please me, either. There's just no pleasing everyone.

There are a few teen heroes these days that aren't much like Kara at all, but there is still a degree of angst and uncertainty because that's just what teenagers are like. The old Superboy was less assured than the classic Superman, it's just being brought to a different degree since comics are so different now. I personally like adult characters to have it together even if they're not particularly good people, so I think teenagers are the chance to get all that out.

Hopefully Bedard and Soule show that she's strong enough to ascend and grow from literally being drowned in her rage in a manner that pleases as many people as possible. Lemire... eh, I'm less optimistic since his Kara has to share space with like 11 other characters. But by the time Superman writers are ready to make him a doting big cousin, I'm sure we'll come around to a sweeter, more productive little cousin. Maybe when we get to that point you can look back and appreciate the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    a teen age superhero with godlike powers and equally enough chances to mess things up trying to prove herself...either to the world around her or to the only person she can relate to as a kind of a parental mentoring presence

if they did it amazingly well in young justice cartoon i hardly see why it would be a huge issue to pull off in supergirl comics :/
    You just mentioning young justice cartoon makes me sad. Wish we could have it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Humanite View Post
    You just mentioning young justice cartoon makes me sad. Wish we could have it back.
    Good. God. YES!

The first season of that show was pure bliss. I literally loved every episode. Season Two kind of lost me because I didn't like the much darker turn, like Aqualad killing thousands of aliens and letting his friends be tortured in order to maintain his cover or Miss Martian's near-total loss of her sweetness for most of the season, but I'd give just about anything for a Season Three, or a new show that's just as good.

And yeah, Kara would've really benefitted from a Young Justice kind of setting. Big time.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Supergirl by Michael Stribling

Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison