Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by junir View Post
    A guy after my own heart. Rucka series was made for Netflix. Just needs a few minor tweaks, that's all.
    Yeah, I think the Netflix option would work very well and the Rucka run would be a good one to adapt. I think that seems the most likely way that the Punisher will be introduced and I would be happy with that.

But I still think The Punisher could work as a film. The last two attempts just plain sucked there is no denying it, but they were pretty lousy attempts. If done right, the Punisher could make an excellent movie but it needs to be done in a way that separates it from the average violent revenge flick. I think it should be done as a true origin story this time, instead of just cramming the backstory into twenty minutes at the beginning of the movie. Show Frank on a mission with a special forces unit to establish his skill set. Show the tragedy that made him the Punisher - but modernize it. As others have pointed out, having his family gunned down by mobsters doesn't really work anymore. A whole family being killed seems like too much to me anyway. Just one person dying is more effective in my opinion. And who wants to see Frank slaughtering drug-dealers and gangsters anymore? Terrorists or human traffickers would be more satisfying nowadays. And this time the Punisher movie could be firmly grounded in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In addition to conventional weaponry, battle scenes could include Stark tech, or Shield or Hydra weapons. The Punisher could battle a real Marvel villain at some point - maybe even someone that was previously introduced in another Marvel movie like Brock Rumlow (a.k.a. Crossbones) who had a significant role in Captain America 2 and would be a good match for Frank Castle.

A Punisher film could work really well if Marvel puts the same effort into it that they have their other films instead of just producing a B-movie level cookie-cutter revenge gorefest. And casting the right person would be crucial. Someone with dangerous Clint Eastwood eyes. I'm drawing a blank on who could pull it off.

BANNED

Honestly the Punisher from 2004 was fantastic IMO. I mean to me, Tom Jane got everything right. I really liked his performance along with Travolta's. Really great stories and the last 20 minutes of the film are pure gold. Also it follows Garth Ennis' run very closely. I really appreciated that. The only thing that bothered me was the very end when the cars blowing up created a Punisher symbol out of fire. That was just corny. But everything else was really good, that's probably why I love Dirty Laundry so much.

I think introducing him through Daredevil is the best option.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Fantastic Member

I am reluctant to see him as part of the MCU at all, if I am honest. And not because I dislike him, The Punisher is one of my favourite characters - the Ennis/Aaron MAX iteration at any rate. But his entire shtick is killing people - bad people, yes, but he gets through a LOT of them. To put him into the MCU he'd either end up neutered and the more 'moral' characters would stop him pretty quickly, or he'd 'win' and we'd get moments where an ex-soldier/cop (depending on what they go with) somehow manages to get one over far more powerful characters. Just imagine if we'd had the Punisher in The Avengers movie - he'd go after Loki, run into Thor... and then splat. So long, Frank. Even someone like Spidey would realistically be out of his league.

The only place he really fits would perhaps be in the street level Defenders end of the spectrum, he and DD make for natural antagonists, Cage has a beef with drug dealers so a bit of overlap is natural enough, Iron Fist would tag along with Luke, and so on. But I can't see them keeping true to the Punisher AND getting him to fit into the mainstream MCU. The MCU movies over here in the UK are rated 12A, suitable for kids with supervision, Punisher would need to be an 18 (no-one under that age should get into the cinema to see it.) Perhaps someone who knows these things a bit better could give those as US/other market ratings if it would help.

Spectacular Member

It won't go down this way, but I think the way to bring in the Punisher would be to put him as the secondary protagonist in a Daredevil and Spider-man versus the Kingpin story.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    Honestly the Punisher from 2004 was fantastic IMO. I mean to me, Tom Jane got everything right. I really liked his performance along with Travolta's. Really great stories and the last 20 minutes of the film are pure gold. Also it follows Garth Ennis' run very closely. I really appreciated that. The only thing that bothered me was the very end when the cars blowing up created a Punisher symbol out of fire. That was just corny. But everything else was really good, that's probably why I love Dirty Laundry so much.
    Do you think Jane or Marvel would be up for reprising, having him back, in MCU, but clear that it's their Punisher, unconnected to other films, or that one?

Whatever might be more relevant as targets, I think the smaller and big scope works better, while not transferring him too far, once Punisher. Other countries, sure, but sticking to criminals, crime lords, all that. More than enough, sure, without moving on too far.

Dictators might be alright, and those that break the law, but are within its' borders, if you would.

But, feel terrorists are a kettle of fish better left be for him, but maybe it'd work for someone else.

Too close, too different, and out of his net, let's say.

I would suggest the man who played Crossbones in The Winter Soldier, but not sure if they, as in Marvel, and director, producers etc, would go for that, being two characters in by one actor in one universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Do you think Jane or Marvel would be up for reprising, having him back, in MCU, but clear that it's their Punisher, unconnected to other films, or that one?

Whatever might be more relevant as targets, I think the smaller and big scope works better, while not transferring him too far, once Punisher. Other countries, sure, but sticking to criminals, crime lords, all that. More than enough, sure, without moving on too far.

Dictators might be alright, and those that break the law, but are within its' borders, if you would.

But, feel terrorists are a kettle of fish better left be for him, but maybe it'd work for someone else.

Too close, too different, and out of his net, let's say.

I would suggest the man who played Crossbones in The Winter Soldier, but not sure if they, as in Marvel, and director, producers etc, would go for that, being two characters in by one actor in one universe.
    Nah, Punisher doesn't have any limits. Dude fights terrorists one day, drug dealers the next day, then giant monsters the day after that, and finishes the week with a battle with Doctor Doom. He'll fight anyone he thinks deserves to be punished. There are few instances where he's gone after American politicians as well. It doesn't matter, and I think Marvel knows that.

And no, Crossbones is his own character from the comics. No need to turn him into the Punisher when he's already awesome as he is. I think Marvel has a plan for Frank Castle, I really do, we just have to wait and see.

As for Tom Jane reprising his role, I'm not sure he still wants to, as Dirty Laundry was meant to be his farewell to the character in a way (according to him) but I personally would love to see him come back. He's just the right age for that role too.

Nah, Punisher doesn't have any limits. Dude fights terrorists one day, drug dealers the next day, then giant monsters the day after that, and finishes the week with a battle with Doctor Doom. He'll fight anyone he thinks deserves to be punished. There are few instances where he's gone after American politicians as well. It doesn't matter, and I think Marvel knows that.

And no, Crossbones is his own character from the comics. No need to turn him into the Punisher when he's already awesome as he is. I think Marvel has a plan for Frank Castle, I really do, we just have to wait and see.

As for Tom Jane reprising his role, I'm not sure he still wants to, as Dirty Laundry was meant to be his farewell to the character in a way (according to him) but I personally would love to see him come back. He's just the right age for that role too.
    Ah, alright. Still think what I do, but to each their own, and if it's not the case, that's grand.

I don't mean turning the character Crossbones into Punisher, but having the actor, Frank Grillo, I believe, play him.

And right age for MAX Frank, or another, or in general Frank?

BANNED

Ah, alright. Still think what I do, but to each their own, and if it's not the case, that's grand.

I don't mean turning the character Crossbones into Punisher, but having the actor, Frank Grillo, I believe, play him.

And right age for MAX Frank, or another, or in general Frank?
    Any Frank. In all universes Frank is normally in his mid to late 40's or early 50's, and Jane is 46 which is pretty much the perfect age.

Any Frank. In all universes Frank is normally in his mid to late 40's or early 50's, and Jane is 46 which is pretty much the perfect age.
    Same with Ultimate, or was it unclear on his age therein?

Mm. Maybe they'll cast that way, then, if not Jane.

Interesting how third Punisher's actually, I believe, Volstagg in the Thor films.

Incredible Member

Didn't they introduce him already, via the cartoon movie "Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and The Punisher"? I think it was implied that Fury let's Frank Castle do his thing because Frank does the thing that SHIELD cannot do, and that Fury only intervenes if absolutely necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Didn't they introduce him already, via the cartoon movie "Avengers Confidential: Black Widow and The Punisher"? I think it was implied that Fury let's Frank Castle do his thing because Frank does the thing that SHIELD cannot do, and that Fury only intervenes if absolutely necessary?
    That was, I believe, its' own thing, and, like the other anime film, animated films etc, wouldn't affect the MCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    1) That movie was god-awful, let's all agree to never bring it up again.
    2) It is no way related to the MCU. Let's be thankful for that.

BANNED

Same with Ultimate, or was it unclear on his age therein?

Mm. Maybe they'll cast that way, then, if not Jane.

Interesting how third Punisher's actually, I believe, Volstagg in the Thor films.
    I don't the Ultimate Punisher was developed enough to be able to determine his age. Hopefully they cast Jane, if not him then someone who fits and knows the role as well as he did.

I don't the Ultimate Punisher was developed enough to be able to determine his age. Hopefully they cast Jane, if not him then someone who fits and knows the role as well as he did.
    Out of interest, who was it who played him, other than Jane, Stevenson?

Was it John Travolta, or someone else?

Hopefully, I know there's someone out there for him.