Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    for the moment; presumably its intended that she swaps volthoom out for a proper GL ring.

that said; hpw long has it been since we've had a character, any character that wasn't just a revamp of something from the golden. silver and bronze ages or not connected to the aforementioned?
    Well new characters dont sell by and large and if I had an idea for a new character. WHy would I give it to Dc or Marvel and not waltz down to Image?

for the moment; presumably its intended that she swaps volthoom out for a proper GL ring.

that said; hpw long has it been since we've had a character, any character that wasn't just a revamp of something from the golden. silver and bronze ages or not connected to the aforementioned?
    Well, November 2013, February 2014, with Miss Marvel, Kamala Khan, possibly.

Though, I could be wrong, because not sure if Carol or any others fit into those ages mentioned.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Well, November 2013, February 2014, with Miss Marvel, Kamala Khan, possibly.

Though, I could be wrong, because not sure if Carol or any others fit into those ages mentioned.
    carol's rather firmly in the late silver age; she just didn't reach her current prominence until the 2000's

carol's rather firmly in the late silver age; she just didn't reach her current prominence until the 2000's
    Ah. Probably another example out there then.

Like, the X-Man, winged, Welsh and pink haired, Pixie.

Well, I tend to agree with her, despite that she clearly didn't know about there being more Green Lanterns than Hal Jordan. Instead of changing the ethnicity of long-established characters just for the sake of diversity, how about trying to create new characters that fit the story they try to tell. This is probably a terrible example, but in my opinion the one thing that horrendous Catwoman movie didn't fail in, is have Halle Berry not play Selina Kyle. She played a different character that had nothing to do with the Selina Kyle version or the overall Batman/DC mythology. Did it help the movie quality in any way, shape or form? Obviously not, but at least it didn't attempt to diversify for no reason a well-known and long-established character and instead chose to go in its own direction. From that standpoint, I totally understand her claim that filmmakers don't need to be lazy. If you want a minority character, instead of changing someone only to try to attract a broader audience, just create a new one for the story you try to tell. If you want an Asian Green Lantern, his name doesn't have to be Hal Jordan or John Stewart, but a brand new person. I am all for diversity, but not when it comes to diversifying for the sake of doing so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Ah. Probably another example out there then.

Like, the X-Man, winged, Welsh and pink haired, Pixie.
    connected to a team from the silver age; and is created as part of the concepts developed in their bronze age renaissance

connected to a team from the silver age; and is created as part of the concepts developed in their bronze age renaissance
    Ah, but what team wasn't either created in those ages, or long ago?

Bit harsh to go with such terms, as only Marvel Knights, Renegades, Agents of Atlas are recent to my knowledge then.

Defenders, Thunderbolts, Avengers, Champions, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Future Foundation connected to them, and the the team of monsters, which I cannot recall the name of.

Majority were created pre-2000, say, and fair bit connected to the old, like the FF to the FF.

Amazing Member

Do agree with her. For instance there was a great hero called Battlestar from the late 80es/early 90es who could have been built up as a new patriotic superhero, (Even has his own distinctive Shield too) but instead we've sacrificed two characters who were fine as they were, (the Steve Rogers Cap and Falcon) just to play the diversity card.

And what I wouldn't give for us to be getting, (rather than Carol Danvers,) a film of Monica Rambeau, who was certainly a lot more than just a female version of Captain Mar-vell!

Spectacular Member

I am in agreement with her in the fact that Hollywood needs to come up with some original ideas. I like the legacy characters that DC had (JSA was a great example of how to do it, and non-forced diversity, right). I believe that it's hit or miss when casting comic characters. When you try to adhere to exactly what the character looks like, it can either work (RDJ as Iron Man, Hemsworth as Thor, Reeves as Superman), or fail miserably (Alba as Sue Storm looked weird bc they tried to make her blonde/blue; Berry, while beautiful, was a horrible Catwoman; Affleck was so-so as Daredevil). Sometimes the 'out of left field choice' is awesome: Mamoa as Aquaman looks bad-ass. I am not sold yet on Jordan as Johnny Storm, but I haven't seen the movie yet.

All-New Member

I think there should be a female human green lantern...too many men in that pot lol

I do agree with her that Hollywood is a bit lazy and someone should come up with original ethnic characters but as you said most of the characters like Johnny Storm and Green Lantern came about when being white male was the default. White boys were buying to comics and they were the ones catered to back then. They created characters the white boys could see themselves in because that was their market. Now the market is so diverse I do not see any harm with gender are race switching to appeal to other ethnicity or sexes. Ms. marvel is a perfect example of another completely different character carrying the name of a previous white female character. Hollywood now has to be brave and reach other to all forms of viewers.

The Runaways. And then Brian K. Vaughan left us and ran away to Image.

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

I totally agree with her. I hope she isn't bullied into continually re-explaining/modifying her view until it changes enough to satisfy the detractors.

Most of the iconic superheroes were created in a time when racism was the norm and white was the only option. It's a history to be ashamed of, not protect.

Creating original minority heroes is also a good idea, but they will face an uphill battle to be considered at the same level as the classic, decades-old characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    Most of the iconic superheroes were created in a time when racism was the norm and white was the only option. It's a history to be ashamed of, not protect.
    Ding ding ding.

Get ready for detractors though.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

The problem with legacy characters on-screen is you need to establish the original first - unless that original is such a universally known concept that a quick exposition is all you need to explain the setup.

Also, while on the Green Lantern subject, wasn't Kyle Rayner hispanic, even if it didn't show up well in 4 color art?
    Dark does not mean deep.