Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Namor is an anti-hero. He's easily written as a bad guy. He's attacked surface people, and though his fans who read him and adore him, understand his in-character/in-story decisions.
    But isn't Aquaman ALWAYS a good guy???
    I don't know as I have only read, like, one single Aquaman issue in my life.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I understand it's supposed to be Marvel vs DC, but it could use a disclaimer... for several of the match-ups, one company may have done it before the other, but neither did it "first". Instead, they are both clones of earlier characters. Such as: The Shark (Centaur) predates Namor (and a character that Everett would have been familiar with as he and Carl Burgos were creators for that company); Minimidget (Centaur) and Doll-Man (Quality) both predate the Atom and Ant-man with Doll Man having a successful solo career that lasted over ten years, something neither of the other characters can boast.

The Doom Patrol's similarities are actually more closely aligned with the FF. The closeness of the publication dates and presence of the wheel chair confuse the issue: both teams boast similar power sets, both have a recycled golden-age hero, both have a gruff strong man trapped in a body he does not like, both have that family and bickering dynamic.
    Last edited by Ed Love; 03-03-2015 at 07:51 AM.

I'm just glad they didn't try and compare Batman and Iron Man because they're both billionaires. Plus many other stupid comparisons you often see. At least they got that right. Other than that these things are just fun but not indicative of overall preferences.

I'm not just a Marvel fan...I'm a fan of good characters and stories. Doesn't matter to me when the logo on the front is as long as what's inside is quality. There are cases when the characters compared in this poll are just more fleshed out, and better presented than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    http://emergingverticals.com/comic-clones/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/...dc-first-best/

I don't know who this company is, but they've set up polls for 11 characters who have inspired 'clones' or copies at either Marvel or DC -- asking which is the best version. Marvel is losing, 4 to 7. And it's no wonder, as they also show how Marvel fans and how DC fans voted -- and Marvel fans have voted for DC characters an awful lot.

Especially on the only two characters that are original at Marvel, Namor and Man-Thing. Over half of the Marvel fans think DC did a better job at Marvel's original concepts, with Aquaman and Swamp Thing. Okay, Swamp Thing, I can see, since Alan Moore hasn't written Man-Thing, but Namor??? Really??? Marvel fans want their sea king to talk to fish and be treated as a joke???

Marvel fans also prefer:

Green Lantern Corp to Nova Corp

Catwoman to Black Cat

Superman to Hyperion (okay, this isn't surprising)

And Hawkeye is barely eeking by Green Arrow.

So what's the deal here? If you like DC's characters, better, why wouldn't you label yourself a DC fan?

Also, you can still vote here:

http://emergingverticals.com/comic-clones/
    If I’m understanding what you’re contending, I think your argument is a little flawed. If I’m understanding right, you’re frustrated with the fact that Marvel fans seem to be voting mostly for DC characters on this poll. And if they’re voting for DC characters, why aren’t they labelling themselves DC fans. Well, it seems to me that the poll is very limited, both in terms of the numbers being compared and WHO is being compared. For example, let’s take Swamp Thing and Man-Thing. Well, even though I am a Marvel fan, I prefer Swamp Thing to Man-Thing. But I still prefer dozens of Marvel characters OVER Swamp Thing. Just not Man-Thing. I also far-prefer Superman as an individual character over Hyperion. But I like the idea of Superman in the Marvel Universe and having a bromance with Thor. Where do I get that? In the Marvel Universe. And that’s not taking into account all the other characters that were left off of the list from both publishers.

That's my two-cents on it, anyway.