Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I don't think there are a lot of people who identify so strongly with one company that they automatically prefer that company's characters. Sure, there are some, but most "Marvel fans" just happen to be people who read and like more Marvel comics than DC comics.

So I am a "Marvel fan" in that I tend to be more interested in Marvel comics and Marvel characters - but I'm not going to pick the Nova Corps over the Green Lantern Corps or Black Cat over Catwoman; it's no contest which is the better character, even overlooking which one came first.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I think one answer to your question about Namor is that in most appearances a casual reader would see him in, he's either working with the bad guys
    or having a misunderstanding and either attacking humans or fighting a hero every time he pops up. There's also the fact that he acts like a dick. His fans
    may consider that something positive or regal. To others, he's just a dick. Although Aquaman, at least the version a lot of us were first introduced to on
    Super Friends, might be treated as something of a joke, he didn't ever act like a jerk. His characterization these days is more like Namor anyway, and he's
    been powered up, but he doesn't have the years of bad things associated with him like Namor does. If you think about it, Namor is still making shitty choices
    whenever he has options, all the way to current. I doubt he's gaining any fans, and it's a testament to the loyalty of his dedicated fanbase that they can
    still rationalize that he has always been in the right. That's not to insult anybody, but it is the truth, and Aquaman doesn't have so much negative crap
    attached to him.
    Agreed 100%.

I actually much prefer Aquaman to Namor now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    If you like DC's characters, better, why wouldn't you label yourself a DC fan?]
    Because DC sucks?

I think as long as their's enough nuance between the two characters it shouldn't matter which one came first. I like both Catwoman and Black Cat (and I could get into another argument over which one had who's characteristics first but won't) and I think the differences between the two were clear enough (well at least initially). I think Namor's a cool character in his own right and I get he has his fans but I do prefer Aquaman.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Man-Thing isn't all that original. Behold, the Heap,

http://www.comicvine.com/the-heap/4005-30639/
    Yes, plus the fact that Len Wein and Gerry Conway were roommates when they both came up with swamp based monsters at the same time. Marvel just got their version out slightly before DC did.

BANNED

Doomsday

Hulk

BANNED

Brainiac

Ultron

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Yes, plus the fact that Len Wein and Gerry Conway were roommates when they both came up with swamp based monsters at the same time. Marvel just got their version out slightly before DC did.
    I always though that one day they were discussing the Heap and the next thing you know, Man-Thing and Swamp Thing came about. Marvel put out Gerry's "creation" first.

I'm not saying it happened just like that, but that sounds very likely.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    Doomsday

Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansomon View Post
    Brainiac

Ultron

The only thing the Hulk and Doomsday have in common is they're both super strong berserkers.

Brainiac, IIRC, was not a robot or an android originally. That came in the early 80's before Crisis. Ultron was a robot from the jump. Also, their motivations are totally different.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    I always though that one day they were discussing the Heap and the next thing you know, Man-Thing and Swamp Thing came about. Marvel put out Gerry's "creation" first.

I'm not saying it happened just like that, but that sounds very likely.
    I think that's exactly what did happen.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I just read a quick run down on Aquaman's history. This character has been rebooted like 6 or 7 times! How the heck can anyone think DC has done the Sea King better than the original, when they can't make up their mind what the heck he is???
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

To be honest, DC versions are just better.

Catwoman is a far more interesting character than Black Cat ever has been, the Green Lantern corps is an awesome concept and DC has made an intensive use of it (GL books are selling like cookies) and really Superman to Hyperion? People don't even know what a Hyperion is supposed to be.

Now, Green Arrow and Hawkeye is a bit more difficult. Green Arrow is simply not the same character as he used to be so here it's really more thanks to the tv show maybe.

They have done quite an excellent job with Aquaman those past years and well, the dude's name is like one of the most famous (for bad and good reasons) of all comics history.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

To be fair, some of the Marvel characters on this poll didn't stand a chance, considering that it featured some of DC's most popular heroes. If it was Iron Man vs Cyborg or Steel, it would be a different story.
    That said, I still prefer some 'later iterations' of characters. I vastly prefer Thanos (who actually has a personality) to Darkseid, one of the most boring comic book villains in the history of the genre.
    Talking of Thanos and Darkseid, they prove that the 'earlier iterations' aren't always the most famous. I'd say that Joe Public would probably be more likely to recognize Thanos than Darkseid.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

iMan 42s

They didn't even attach a poll for both companies popular characters. I know that wasn't the point but what I'm saying is that of course the poll looks the way it does. A lot of Marvel heroes on that poll are not A or B heroes, so of course people would prefer DC counterparts.

I would still prefer reading about Scott Lang over Ray Palmer.

-"I'm Ray Palmer, welcome to pain."
    -He retreated into Countdown
    -And was apart of the dumb as hell plot that was identity crisis.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Namors fanbase spent always think he is in the right. There are however multiple occassions with his position as a monarch that chocies were justifiable. Most fans just think that the "humans" are always right cause they are them but the citizens of Atlantist what Namor does in their name he is a hero.

It's a matter of perspective in most instances when dealing with Namor.
    It would be easier to understand the attacks on humanity if there was a valid reason for it. Mostly, though, it's been because of a misunderstanding, or one human pisses
    Namor off and he gathers his armies to destroy New York. If Thunderbolt Ross was always waging war against Namor, it would be different. It would also cast humans in a bad
    light if he was being unreasonable about it. But Namor might attack due to a crewman throwing a cigarette butt into the ocean, or something along those lines, and then he
    attacks civilians who don't even know anything happened. That's not really an imperial decision; it's a personal one. A good leader would do everything in their power to find
    a solution without going to war. All you have to do is catch Namor on a bad day, and his temper and pride will cause him to act rashly. And nothing good ever comes of
    it either. Only a die-hard fan would be willing to look past that, but Namor seems to have a lot of those fans. Also, I realize Namor isn't the only character whose fans defend
    everything they do. There just isn't a need to start a pissing match by mentioning any of them here.