Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

I'd say Lynda Carter and Perez

Perez and Rucka.

Mighty Member

Marston, Perez and Azzarello.

Marston (for the reasons Javier stated so clearly, among others), Roy Thomas, Perez, Lynda Carter (season one on ABC). Simone and Rucka had some bright moments for me, too.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

What I loved about Rucka's Wonder Woman was how she dealt with problems diplomatically whenever possible. It wasn't something you saw in a lot of superhero comics.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    What I loved about Rucka's Wonder Woman was how she dealt with problems diplomatically whenever possible. It wasn't something you saw in a lot of superhero comics.
    Yeah, she couldn't respond to all of her problems with a punch to the face. I also miss seeing Veronica Cale. As a villain I think she should be used more. Jealousy against Diana's personality would be a nice contrast.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I think Jimenez gave us just about the most perfectly balanced Wonder Woman I've ever seen. Diana has so many aspects of her personality, that most writers tend to only focus on one or two of those aspects, while almost totally ignoring the others. She's a warrior, a diplomat, a leader, and an inspirational figure. Jimenez, I think, did the best job we've seen yet as far as playing up all of those things evenly.

He gave her all the compassion and optimism that Perez gave her, with none of the naivete that sometimes plagued Perez's Diana. She was strong, intelligent, diplomatic, a great warrior, and even a great leader who once rallied all the female heroes to follow her into battle to rescue their menfolk from Circe.

Rucka was also a great choice. While his stories could feel a little too duty-driven, his Diana was pretty consistently in control of her emotions and very much in favor of trying to resolve problems peacefully whenever possible.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I think Jimenez gave us just about the most perfectly balanced Wonder Woman I've ever seen. Diana has so many aspects of her personality, that most writers tend to only focus on one or two of those aspects, while almost totally ignoring the others. She's a warrior, a diplomat, a leader, and an inspirational figure. Jimenez, I think, did the best job we've seen yet as far as playing up all of those things evenly.

He gave her all the compassion and optimism that Perez gave her, with none of the naivete that sometimes plagued Perez's Diana. She was strong, intelligent, diplomatic, a great warrior, and even a great leader who once rallied all the female heroes to follow her into battle to rescue their menfolk from Circe.

Rucka was also a great choice. While his stories could feel a little too duty-driven, his Diana was pretty consistently in control of her emotions and very much in favor of trying to resolve problems peacefully whenever possible.
    You found Perez's Diana too naive? I've never read a Diana that felt so naive as Azz's imo...in some cases, it doesn't even come across as naivete, but sheer stupidity...but then again that's just me...

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    You found Perez's Diana too naive? I've never read a Diana that felt so naive as Azz's imo...in some cases, it doesn't even come across as naivete, but sheer stupidity...but then again that's just me...
    Azz's Diana definitely had her borderline stupid moments. I won't deny that.

But Perez's Diana practically allowed Barbara Minerva to almost succeed in stealing her Lasso. It wasn't until Barbara accidentally touched the Lasso and announced her plan that Diana realized what was going on. She also allowed Myndi Mayer to exploit her because it was just unthinkable to her that a woman could have selfish or manipulative intentions toward her. She also had absolutely no idea what Zeus wanted from her when he attempted to rape her until the assault actually began.

Those were the really big naïve moments that stuck out in my mind.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Perez' Diana wasn't exactly naive... she was young, inexperienced and unprepared to the strangeness of man's world, but she was a fast learner.
    Agree about Azz' Diana

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd go with Marston. She was loving and compassionate, but not the goody two shoes she was in the Perez era and beyond. She was more in touch with her sensuality, and could sass at villains like nobody's business. She also didn't see a problem with telling lies or using deception against her foes. It's why I'm confused every time someone states that Diana should be the embodiment of truth and never tell a lie, when that wasn't the character Marston conceived.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd go with Marston. She was loving and compassionate, but not the goody two shoes she was in the Perez era and beyond. She was more in touch with her sensuality, and could sass at villains like nobody's business. She also didn't see a problem with telling lies or using deception against her foes. It's why I'm confused every time someone states that Diana should be the embodiment of truth and never tell a lie, when that wasn't the character Marston conceived.
    Agreed, I mean why should she be the spirit of truth? I mean yea I get why many don't want her to have Diana Prince due to the closeness to Superman and Batman but to be honest I think hers could be more difference in that she actually uses her Id to due what she does as Wonder Woman. empower people.

BANNED

Azz WW naive? I really don't see it that way, I think she is smart enough to know how things work

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Azz WW naive? I really don't see it that way, I think she is smart enough to know how things work
    Didn't Zeke get kidnapped in her care by Hermes, and then she trusted him another time, and the baby was kidnapped again? I may be recalling things incorrectly, but there was far too much babysitting and kidnapping in Azz's run for my liking. Didn't really portray Diana in the best light, IMO.

She should be able to see the good in others, but not blind herself to the possibility of being tricked by potential enemies.

Incredible Member

Lynda Carter will always be the archetypical Wonder Woman to me.