Default Essential Marvel Essentials?

I picked up X-Factor volume 1, and I like it! There are DEFINITELY series I am not willing to splurge on omnibi prices, but that I would happily buy at Essentials rates. ALSO, one of the local stores are selling theres all off for about $10 each! What are the key volumes? I really want Uncanny X-Men vol 2 for the Dark Phoenix, and the other Claremont stuff, and I wouldnt mind checking out the Byrne FF as well.

Idk if the F4 volumes ever got to Byrne. But if you just want good stuff cheap, you can't go wrong with Claremont X-Men or Lee/Kirby F4.

This is a great, cheap medium to get a bunch of old Silver Age stuff that doesn't age well. I have tons of these, but among my favourites are the three volumes of Classic X-Men, the Tales to Astonish Ant-Man, and the one volume of Ms. Marvel.

Also, it was these that got me into Thor comics (I wanted to buy an Essential volume, and the only Volume 1 that my local bookstore had was Thor. Been hooked ever since).

Amazing Member

These are great for reading entire runs in a cheap format and all under one cover. I love these and have a lot of them. Warlock by Starlin and Captain Marvel, also by Starlin, are my two favorites. I also love that Amazing Spider-Man progressed into the 1980s, which was the run I grew up on.
    The Essentials line died, though. I think the last one Marvel published was Warlock.

Starlin's Warlock was in these?! Whoa.

Tomb of Dracula is awesome in Essentials format, I enjoyed it even more than the Omnibus! The B&W/Grayscale really makes Gene Colans pencils come alive.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Tomb of Dracula is awesome in Essentials format, I enjoyed it even more than the Omnibus! The B&W/Grayscale really makes Gene Colans pencils come alive.
    Yeah, any Colan volume looks a lot better in b&w. The DC equivalent would be any Showcase Presents... for Joe Kubert.

Incredible Member

Spider-Woman Vol 1 & 2.

It presented one of the most purely heroic heroines of that age.

Incredible Member

I had all Essential volumes of Amazing Spider-Man, Web Of and Spectacular but I hardly would ever read them that I sold them to a used bookstore.