Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Swamp Thing #40 Preview - Double Sized Final Issue

So here we are at the end. Along with Justice League Dark, which will also be ending this month, Swamp Thing are the only remaining Dark books that began when the New 52 started. I suppose the next time we'll see old Swampy in current continuity, will be in the Dark Universe new series starting in June though it kinda would be funny if he's in a professor role in that new Mystic School book. Anyways, its been a very fun ride. Snyder had a decent run though carried more by the art imo and Soule's run I've enjoyed greatly. With the final issue its for all the marbles and both Jesus Saiz and Javi Pina will be on art duties with June Chung providing colors.

Preview

We'll still get more Swampy during the Convergence break as Len Wein will reunite with his co-creation during April and May.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

As a whole, I'm going to miss this book very much. But if just talking about the art, I'm going to miss this book more than any others. This has been an amazingly beautiful book and I think this is a case where DC really did an excellent job matching talent with content. There isn't one bad-looking issue and in fact every issue has many wonderful panels where I'll just pause my reading and stare and think about all the work that went into this one panel that at most will be looked at for a few minutes. Some incredible work here and I really hate to see it go.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThiefHookUps View Post
    As a whole, I'm going to miss this book very much. But if just talking about the art, I'm going to miss this book more than any others. This has been an amazingly beautiful book and I think this is a case where DC really did an excellent job matching talent with content. There isn't one bad-looking issue and in fact every issue has many wonderful panels where I'll just pause my reading and stare and think about all the work that went into this one panel that at most will be looked at for a few minutes. Some incredible work here and I really hate to see it go.
    I very much agree and forgot to mention that in the OP. Its very much been the most consistent overall in art and the beauty of it with the only blemish being issue 17 imo. Not a lot of series from the original New 52 that are still kicking can say that. But the work put in by Yanick and Jesus along with fill-in and guest artists like Marco Rudy, Javi Pina, Kano, and Francavilla have been incredible. Hopefully the new Dark books in June will have this level of consistency with art though your seeing that more now with the new Bat books like Gotham Academy, Gotham By Midnight, and Grayson to some extent.

Gonna miss that book.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

True, #17 was the one issue that feels like a fill-in artist is working on it.

I hope Swamp Thing gets folded into that "Dark Universe" book coming up after Convergence. It's been fun to see him as a team player.

Amazing Member

this was my favorite book of the Nu 52 relaunch. will miss it.

Just toked and read it. Pretty good issue, but I wasn't a fan of Soule's run as a whole.
    spoilers:
    It tripped me out pretty hard when Alec entered the Parliament of Arts or whatever that was. And my eyes misted up a little when Alec was reading 100 Years Of Solitude on the last page for his fallen friend.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

I had high expectations, higher hopes. This exceeded them both.

Best issue of the run. Brilliant conclusion. Just wonderful on every level.

Such high praise.

Cant wait to get my hands on my pull over the weekend.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I was a little bit disappointed, mostly because in my heart I didn't want it to end, but all in all, it was a great conclusion to an excellent run by Soule. I loved the last-minute swerve-- that felt like a radical callback to the time when ST was truly an experimental title under Moore (it also seemed like a real Milligan circa Shade move to me)-- and I loved how Swampy walked away from it back into the fight, reminding us that sometimes the story itself is more important than how you choose to tell it. As a Garcia-Marquez fan, I loved the last page, especially as Soule had peppered the run with a few allusions to his work.

Even the meta-commentary running through the story felt more melancholic than bitter, but positive in the sense that Soule was thanking the people were actually reading the book rather than chastising those that didn't, a la Giffen's Threshold conclusion.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I honestly did not care for the meta-commentary. It felt like it served no purpose and really just felt like it added nothing to the experience. It felt tacked on and a waste of time, which is a shame since it could be worth looking at if there was actually time for it instead of it randomly popping out of nowhere in the comic.

Otherwise, I liked the comic and the conclusion. Rushed in some areas and the ending page felt rather abrupt (keeps it's from being perfect or as great as the ending could be), but enjoyable.

Of all the books DC has had over the last few years, this is one I will miss the most, along with Animal Man, Dial H, and one or two select others.

From Snyder to Soule this has been one of DC's best; emotional and intelligent and fun and always just a tad creepy. And I cant help but walk away from this title feeling like one of the tethers that has kept me in the hobby just broke.

The issue was pretty damned good, as endings go. Though I couldnt help but think of how amazing this story could have been if we had had a few more issues for the telling. Still, it was a strong finish and I have no real complaints.

I fear that, with both Swamp Thing and Animal Man gone, DC will forget about the Red and the Green and this wonderful mythology, and I hope that somewhere, soon, we get to revisit these concepts and characters, in a manner and with a level of quality that these books have earned and deserved.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I fear that, with both Swamp Thing and Animal Man gone, DC will forget about the Red and the Green and this wonderful mythology, and I hope that somewhere, soon, we get to revisit these concepts and characters, in a manner and with a level of quality that these books have earned and deserved.
    No way, DC loves this part of their mythology. We didn't have an Animal Man nor Swamp Thing title for years, and yet the Red and Green both continued on. Plus, with titles like Constantine and JLD, there is plenty of place for it to pop up and make appearances.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet that this is coming back, perhaps as early as July but certainly within a year. I expect Batwoman (by Rucka), Supergirl, Shazam (By Johns and Frank), Legion and Batman Eternal to be announced somewhere in that period as well, either as 'part 2' of the launch (DC has said there are new books in 'june and july') or as a second wave to replace the ending minis and the inevitably ending books like Lobo.

My sincere hope is that the next volume features China Mieville's written-but-aborted run (7 issues written) and that said run goes on forever.