Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

This was a very interesting end. I've noticed when some of the previous New 52 series ended they either were a celebration of what they are (Frankenstein), provided a bit of retrospection (Animal Man), pull out every card left (Dial H), and/or provided a sense of finality for its story while leaving it open for new ones to be told (I,Vampire, Lemire's Green Arrow run and Snyder's Swamp Thing run). Here we get almost a mixture of everything. The Machine storyline is wrapped up, Etrigan is brought in referencing the third Annual, Arcane is still on the loose, the Grey is left without an avatar, their is meta-commentary of the entire New 52 run, and more.

I thought it was very well done. I thought the twist and commentary were well done and was more a thank you to the fans that have stuck with this series. You can tell that Soule has a tremendous amount of respect for all the writers that have worked with the character and now he finishes leaving his mark. The art team was on point the whole way through. Kinda wish their was something more with Holland and Abby at the end and kinda wished for a last minute surprise back up by the Red who were surprisingly absent when all the other kingdoms are fighting each other. Still the series ends with a feeling that it'll come back. Maybe it'll be relaunched or maybe we'll see old Swampy again in Dark Universe. I really wished for the series to have been a bit longer just so we could have gotten a Bacteria arc as I loved what Soule did with that in the Futures End issue and now I see why he dedicated a good part of that issue to that. Still its yet another piece that Soule leaves for another writer to use or not use if and when the big salad comes back again.

Out of all the New 52 that have ended, this is the one that I just want more of because their are so many ways the character can go and their are a number of different writers that can take a stab at him as opposed to Dial H where I felt that I probably wouldn't have been comfortable with anyone continuing that other than Mieville. Hopefully the wait to see Swampy again solo or as part of a team isn't long.

This was probably strongest issue of the whole run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This was probably strongest issue of the whole run.
    Agreed. I really liked Soule's run but this is the issue that really cemented it for me. The importance of the Sureen and bookkeeping and archiving and storytelling all comes down to this. The novel concept of machines and AI and data as a Kingdom leading way to the secret knowledge that "Information", or "Imagination" has been a kingdom all along, a secret kingdom.

Moreover it felt rather Gaiman-ish.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    No way, DC loves this part of their mythology. We didn't have an Animal Man nor Swamp Thing title for years, and yet the Red and Green both continued on. Plus, with titles like Constantine and JLD, there is plenty of place for it to pop up and make appearances.
    I really, really, hope you're right. And if I had to put money on whether we'll see these characters again soon, I'd bet on the side of it happening before next summer is over (at least an announcement by then for a fall title). But at the same time, the book didnt sell all that well and DC is really focusing on pulling out some obscure stuff (like Prez and Section 8) so I worry that the Red and Green will just sort of be forgotten for a while.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

DC's stated thing seems to be more about asking a number of creators, "Who do you really want to work on?" and then picking the pitches they like best and letting them do that.

Animal Man might be gone unless they get something particularly inspired; his book was critically acclaimed but, as you say, not much of a seller. Still, they were on the fence about continuing it, and in fact gave the job to someone. So you never know.

But Swamp Thing has lasted 40 issues, been a critical darling, and has a long, storied history at DC. Much more than Animal Man, it's a book that creators are passionate about, excited about. Lots of really great creators would really like to work on that property -- and so they should have no problem getting pitches, which makes it likely that they'll restart the title fairly soon, same as John Constantine. I just hope it's with someone as exciting as Mieville.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I really, really, hope you're right. And if I had to put money on whether we'll see these characters again soon, I'd bet on the side of it happening before next summer is over (at least an announcement by then for a fall title). But at the same time, the book didnt sell all that well and DC is really focusing on pulling out some obscure stuff (like Prez and Section 8) so I worry that the Red and Green will just sort of be forgotten for a while.
    ST and AM were both a result of Geoff Johns brief post-BN influence at DC Comics and both Snyder and Lemire were picked by him iirc. Soule I believe was more a result of editor Chris Conroy who also had Soule on Red Lanterns and was responsible for a wide diversity of creative teams on titles like Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and I Vampire. Given that the editors and creators have moved on to other things, I totally agree it's probably going to be ignored for along time (since the mainline editor for this corner of the company is leaving DC). But Snyder-Soule's runs on ST have been the best since v2.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 03-05-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

All the Swamp Thing #40s at my shop were damaged (and by "all" I mean the only one left when I got there after work) so I'll have to wait until next week. As long as this issue isn't a jarring shift from what's come before, I'm sure this will be worth the wait.

I want to say I hope DC has plans for more Swamp Thing, but of course my excitement level will be directly related to the creative team. I imagine if there's anything it'll be after the Convergence story they have planned.

Mighty Member

I'm considering giving Swamp thing (also Frankenstein, Dial H, Animal Man, Lemire's Green arrow and JLA Canada) a try now when Futures end and Multiversity are ending.

Does Swamp thing read well ST#1 to 40, with the creative team changes and Futures end issue (I'm particularly interested if that worked well with the bigger story.)?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    I'm considering giving Swamp thing (also Frankenstein, Dial H, Animal Man, Lemire's Green arrow and JLA Canada) a try now when Futures end and Multiversity are ending.

Does Swamp thing read well ST#1 to 40, with the creative team changes and Futures end issue (I'm particularly interested if that worked well with the bigger story.)?
    Personally, I think Snyder's ST is a major disappointment full of constant homages and easter eggs to the Moore and Veitch eras to extent where I felt I had read it before. Some people will rave about it, but honestly, I felt the Diggle/Dysart series that preceded it was better if only because it had brilliant art from Enrique Breccia. I guess it does set up certain elements that will find play in Soule's run like The Rot and the new roles for Abby and Anton Arcane. (I truly feel that Snyder did a hatchet job on Anton. I wasn't necessarily thrilled with motorcycle riding, shotgun-toting Abby, but I could roll with it. Making Anton, perhaps comics' epitome of self-motivated evil, a servant of a higher power was a huge mistake, even if Snyder walked that back a bit in Rotworld.)

Soule's run was so much better. For starters, even though he referenced the past, he was certainly invested in moving the series forward and came up with imaginative new twists for the various Parliaments. This really felt like the first time that a Alec Holland Swamp Thing book had any forward momentum since Mark Millar's run. I wasn't too impressed with the lead-off two-parter guest starring Superman and Poison Ivy, but everything from that point is worth reading if you're a ST fan.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    ST and AM were both a result of Geoff Johns brief post-BN influence at DC Comics and both Snyder and Lemire were picked by him iirc. Soule I believe was more a result of editor Chris Conroy who also had Soule on Red Lanterns and was responsible for a wide diversity of creative teams on titles like Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and I Vampire. Given that the editors and creators have moved on to other things, I totally agree it's probably going to be ignored for along time (since the mainline editor for this corner of the company is leaving DC). But Snyder-Soule's runs on ST have been the best since v2.
    Also, Karen Berger insisted that if Vertigo properties were moving back to the mainstream DCU, she wanted "her" (meaning Vertigo) writers on the books. That's how we got Jonathan Vankin on BD Aftermath: Search for Swamp Thing (which is best forgotten), Peter Milligan on JL: D, Lemire on Animal Man, and Snyder on Swamp Thing. Berger was working as an uncredited consultant on AM and ST until she left DC according to both Lemire and Snyder.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Personally, I think Snyder's ST is a major disappointment full of constant homages and easter eggs to the Moore and Veitch eras to extent where I felt I had read it before. Some people will rave about it, but honestly, I felt the Diggle/Dysart series that preceded it was better if only because it had brilliant art from Enrique Breccia.
    I echo this strongly, though I'd say Dysart's run was pretty tepid. Quite enjoyed Diggle's short thing, and think you could very genuinely read Diggle's run and then directly into Soule's run with minimum problem; much of the work that was done to unite soul/swamp body in Brightest Day and Snyder's run was essentially done by Dysart years earlier, better and more succinctly.

Soule's run was so much better. For starters, even though he referenced the past, he was certainly invested in moving the series forward and came up with imaginative new twists for the various Parliaments. This really felt like the first time that a Alec Holland Swamp Thing book had any forward momentum since Mark Millar's run. I wasn't too impressed with the lead-off two-parter guest starring Superman and Poison Ivy, but everything from that point is worth reading if you're a ST fan.
    I'll just add that as good as Swamp Thing was, Dial H - another book that the OP is considering - is much, much better. It's one of the best things about the New 52, and I highly, highly recommend you pick it up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Also, Karen Berger insisted that if Vertigo properties were moving back to the mainstream DCU, she wanted "her" (meaning Vertigo) writers on the books. That's how we got Jonathan Vankin on BD Aftermath: Search for Swamp Thing (which is best forgotten), Peter Milligan on JL: D, Lemire on Animal Man, and Snyder on Swamp Thing. Berger was working as an uncredited consultant on AM and ST until she left DC according to both Lemire and Snyder.
    Oh, wow. That explains much of the loss, I think, from Lemire's Animal Man (though the departure of Travel Foreman was probably a larger consideration).

Interesting, though. Had not heard this before.

Well, I echo what others have said about this, with the amendment that, if you are not especially familiar with Swamp Thing's past, Synder's work will entertain you (for the most part). It's likely far easier to get the current run than it is to hunt down the older issues, so I'd say go for it. And if Snyder doesnt do it for you, Soule will.

As for the others, I haven't read JL United (formerly Canada) and Frankenstein didn't quite do it for me. I am in the minority on this, as the book is highly popular here and got great reviews, but I felt it lacked a certain flair that Morrison's Seven Soldiers had, and despite Lemire's Frankenstein being quite good, not having that Morrison flavor was something that I just couldnt get past.

Animal Man and Dial H and Lemire's Arrow however, are all among the best things DC has done in years and I highly, highly recommend all of them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd say that Futures End issue was best issue of ST till #40 was released. Only flaw of it was that if you don't know anything about Blackest Night/Brightest Day then some of it might be a bit "huh, what?". Did it work with bigger story? Well it takes 5 years in the future so nothing that happened there had direct impact on what happened in main storyline, but themes and word building was there. And with how #40 ended you can look at FE one-shot and say "yea, I can see that happening in the future".

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Animal Man and Dial H and Lemire's Arrow however, are all among the best things DC has done in years and I highly, highly recommend all of them.
    Lemire didn't write Dial H.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Lemire didn't write Dial H.
    Ascended didn't mean that. He just separated Lemire's Green Arrow run from the other GA runs.
    BB