Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default Secret Avengers #3...?

    I've not yet finished reading this. I'm just opened it and am but two pages in, and I'm already disgusted.

    The, um, 'witty' intros panel on the third page: Jessica is "NEW to the whole secret ops thing"? Really? She's an active SHIELD agent, with or without 'Secret Avengers'!

    Since the first volume of Secret Avengers ended, this title has been a clusterf*ck. From Natasha's willingly allowing Hill to meddle with her brain in Spencer's gawd awful run, to this new volume determined to be Hawkeye II, actual character and story be damned...

    I'm going to go and finish the issue now. If it doesn't pull some sort of magic off before the last page, I think this will be my last. If the writer (and editor, for that matter!) don't care about the characters they're attempting to write, I don't see why I should be.

    I'm just thankful that Nat has her own (amazing!) series now, and I don't have to rely on Secret Avengers to get a monthly helping of her adventures. She's long been the only reason I even bother with this.

    EDIT: Um. Yeah. I finished it. Poor Jessica. This entire issue was a complete travesty, most of it putting her down.

    Nat came off alright, to be honest. I enjoyed her for the most part. Her 'decision' page was fun.

    Cheese...er...Coulson was good too. His turnaround from PTSD to marksman extraordinaire was great.

    Sadly, the writer seems to know more about Bullseye (who doesn't even appear in the issue) than Jessica, even citing stories to follow up on.

    This is a fun comic, if it's taken with a grain of salt. Like a 'What The?' type story. As part of the Marvel Universe though, it's a complete affront. :/
    Last edited by klinton; 05-17-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  2. #2
    All-New Member CorruptChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I like this comic to be its own thing. Ales Kot is writing the story he wants and it is great. Maybe it is because I am not too familiar with some characters.
    Last edited by CorruptChi; 05-18-2014 at 08:13 AM.

  3. #3
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptChi View Post
    I like this comic is its own thing. Ales Kot is writing the story he wants and it is great.
    It's fun and wacky, sure. That reality was saved for gelato cravings was cute.

    That's all well and good, but his desire to write 'the story he wants' is not any sort of excuse for blatant ignorance of the characters one is writing.

    His treatment of Jessica here is no minor flub, no matter what story he 'wants'. She's had more experience working covert ops in SHIELD than Hill herself (not to mention SWORD and Hydra, as well as her own time as a private eye). Only Natasha can possibly lay claim to more experience.

    It's a MASSIVE oversight. Expecting the writer to know the characters they're attempting to write isn't an outlandish expectation. Clearly, the writer (and, I'm guessing his editor) was too busy reading up on Bullseye to be bothered to at least scan Jessica's wiki page?
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    I think i'm going to drop it personally. The last series was awesome but this one has left me say WTF pretty much every issue. I'm going to get issue 4 and make my final call on it with that issue. Only reason why I'm giving the title that curtsy is because this is the only place I can get Nick Jr. and Coulson.

  5. #5
    All-New Member CorruptChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    If he can write this sort of story it is because the editorial allows him to do it. Story > Continuity.

  6. #6
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptChi View Post
    If he can write this sort of story it is because the editorial allows him to do it. Story > Continuity.
    This isn't a 'continuity' question. It's a matter of writing another character and calling her Spider-Woman.

    If he wants to write this greenhorn character, then do so. Use Anya, perhaps? Or go write indi pap till his heart's content.

    I have no issues with the wacky, fun adventures. At all. I do, though, expect that when I open a book featuring 'character-X' that I am going to see 'character-X' in those pages, regardless of the story or it's tone.

    This was just a disgusting display of either ignorance of the character, or (even worse), complete disregard for the character. Either one is completely unnacceptable.

    Marvel is selling us a product here: serialized stories. The very least we can expect is that thier own properties are to be respected. This is akin to a writer stating that Professor X knows nothing of telepathy or that Captain America was never a soldier. Covert ops IS Jessica's wheel house. That's exactly who she is, entirely.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I like it. It is one of my 1st reads every month along with Starlight.

  8. #8
    All-New Member CorruptChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    klinton, I understand your point of view. You really like Spider-woman. I just want a fun comic. I think M.O.D.O.K. is supposed to be a powerful telepath and Kot is writing him as he had no powers. I just do not care.

    Though I admit that if I do not like what Ales Kot does with The Fury I will make voodoo with a picture of him.
    Last edited by CorruptChi; 05-18-2014 at 09:26 AM.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Cowtools's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    699

    Default

    I looooooooove this comic!!!

    A villain whose theme is 'French post-structuralism'! Manic Street Preachers references! Black Widow's brain as an old-school text-based adventure game!

    It's like this comic was designed to be injected directly into my brain.

    I don't care if the characterisation in this book doesn't exactly match previous volumes, because it makes sense for this book.

  10. #10

    Default

    In fairness, while Spider-Woman's a reasonably experienced spy (though maybe a bit out of practice), she is new to doing secret team ops. She was a solo operative for a long time. When she joined the Avengers, she largely stopped doing SHIELD work. So while she's not new to secret ops, she's new to Secret Avengers.

    Also, Spencer's run was great. Miles ahead of Remender's crap run. Brubaker's run was probably the best. The Warren Ellis fill-in issues were all predictably fantastic.

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Cowtools's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Also, Spencer's run was great. Miles ahead of Remender's crap run. Brubaker's run was probably the best. The Warren Ellis fill-in issues were all predictably fantastic.
    This run seems to be emulating some of Ellis' irreverence and pop culture savvy.
    I liked Spencer's run, but frankly I'm glad for a faster-paced, more character-focused and funny book, instead of another nourish, angsty, extended 'conspiracies-within-conspiracies' tale.

  12. #12

    Default

    I agree with the OP about how Jessica is being portrayed in this book. I thought maybe the slight saving grace is that in this issue... Natasha seemed to at least admit that she wasn't giving Jessica enough credit.

  13. #13
    All-New Member jmarks4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I mainky read SA because I'm a big Hawkeye fan. The first volume to me was pretty awesome. This volume has been pretty good. I wish Hawkeye would stay on the team, but we'll see what happens.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmarks4life View Post
    I mainky read SA because I'm a big Hawkeye fan. The first volume to me was pretty awesome. This volume has been pretty good. I wish Hawkeye would stay on the team, but we'll see what happens.
    And funnily enough, I'd like to see Hawkeye leave the team. He's a carny - a showman. He can do sneaky stuff very well, but it's not really who he is.

  15. #15
    All-New Member jmarks4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    And funnily enough, I'd like to see Hawkeye leave the team. He's a carny - a showman. He can do sneaky stuff very well, but it's not really who he is.
    Nah, he's more the action first, questions later type of character imo.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •