Page 168 of 181 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 2702
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This whole argument seems to smack of "I'm not the entire demographic anymore, so I'm the real victim here."
    Since when is expecting better storytelling from storytellers/custodians claiming victimhood? And what, pray tell, is my demographic?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    And the saddest part of that is we have NEVER been the entirety of Marvel's target demographic.
    Yup.

10 characters.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

If I was an average civilian in marvel I'd be 100% against secret identities (at least the government should know) and I'd probably supported SRA during Civil War before the whole story went to isht with pro-registration side using villains, building a prison in negative zone and making a killer Thor clone. However none of these change the fact that most superheroes are vigilantes at best and they operate outside the law even if they work with law enforcement. Since this is cape comics it is rarely shown but what if during a fight with Rhino Spider-man messes up and unintentionally kills innocent bystanders. Who will answer for that? In real life if a cop kills an innocent bystander he\she\they suffer the consequences, it doesn't always go this way but in an ideal world it should. I'd rather put my trust in institutions, not individuals no matter how morally richteous they may be since anyone can make mistakes and if superpowers are involved those mistakes can lead to death. Giving up their secret identities may put their loved ones at risk but no one is holding a gun over Spider-man's or Daredevil's head and forcing them to be superheroes. They chose that life knowing full well the consequences and they can give up at any moment. And this goes for all superheroes whether it's mutant, mutate, Inhuman, Eternal it doesn't matter. I'm not saying a mutant or an Inhuman who is living a civilian life should register but if that individual wants to be a superhero than it should be a must.

somebody at marvel got some common sense. They put andor up on hulu. I am still trying to figure out why marvel hasn't put shows like wandavision etc on hulu when they own it. You already got what you got out of the premiere episodes on the disney plus platform and already put the money into creation so it makes no sense not to repackage it in a binge sort of way on your hulu platform to expand the audience and perhaps have people go look for new seasons or shows on disney +
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I'd rather put my trust in institutions...
    My only issue with this is that the government seems to be either taken over or just plain be run rampant with corrupt individuals who wield way more power than they would in the real world. This seems to happen every other week, quite frankly.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

If I was an average civilian in marvel I'd be 100% against secret identities (at least the government should know) and I'd probably supported SRA during Civil War before the whole story went to isht with pro-registration side using villains, building a prison in negative zone and making a killer Thor clone. However none of these change the fact that most superheroes are vigilantes at best and they operate outside the law even if they work with law enforcement. Since this is cape comics it is rarely shown but what if during a fight with Rhino Spider-man messes up and unintentionally kills innocent bystanders. Who will answer for that? In real life if a cop kills an innocent bystander he\she\they suffer the consequences, it doesn't always go this way but in an ideal world it should. I'd rather put my trust in institutions, not individuals no matter how morally richteous they may be since anyone can make mistakes and if superpowers are involved those mistakes can lead to death. Giving up their secret identities may put their loved ones at risk but no one is holding a gun over Spider-man's or Daredevil's head and forcing them to be superheroes. They chose that life knowing full well the consequences and they can give up at any moment. And this goes for all superheroes whether it's mutant, mutate, Inhuman, Eternal it doesn't matter. I'm not saying a mutant or an Inhuman who is living a civilian life should register but if that individual wants to be a superhero than it should be a must.
    Well, the idea of superhero comics is that the villains need to be dangerous enough to be stopped only by the superheroes, with a risk factor high enough that it doesn't matter who dies, only that the villain is stopped. The secret identity factor is sort of a side affect considering how often these powerful villains come back to life or breakout of jail. The government also tends to be evil.

Ultimate Member

If I was an average civilian in marvel I'd be 100% against secret identities (at least the government should know) and I'd probably supported SRA during Civil War before the whole story went to isht with pro-registration side using villains, building a prison in negative zone and making a killer Thor clone. However none of these change the fact that most superheroes are vigilantes at best and they operate outside the law even if they work with law enforcement.
    The whole pro-reg side turning into a complete ****show was just one of several factors I really disliked about Civil War.

The other huge disconnect for me, was that Captain America, the literal soldier, who has worked for the government and respects rule of law, was anti-registration, while Tony Stark, who has kind of steamrollered over various laws for his own benefit, defied the government at several points, lied to both the government and his fellow Avengers about whether or not he was responsible for stuff that Iron Man had done (the Armor Wars, for example), etc. was pro-registration.

That made zero sense to me.

Captain America, who literally underwent Army registration and training, was against young superheroes being registered and trained and deputized to act as lawful authorities?

Iron Man, who has fought tooth and nail to keep his tech out of the hands of *anyone* other than himself (even attacking Project Pegasus, a US govt facility, and disabling the Guardsman armors *that he fucking sold them*, as well as fellow Avenger Stingray, whose battlesuit was made of *electrified shark cartilege and really, REALLY, obviously wasn't based on Stark tech), is suddenly 'Oh, I trust any rando who can get enough popular votes to totally know all the schematics of my tech and regulate how I can and cannot use it!'

Just mind-boggling, even without it all going to hell as various writers have stuff happen like the Runaways get attacked by helicopters firing heat-seeking missiles at them that miss and slam into apartment buildings and presumably kill dozens... Like, wow. I'm surprised Stark, who was the face of the SHRA, and ended up kind of the director for awhile, isn't *still* being sued by all the families of the people that he got killed...

But among the reasons I'd personally have been pro-registration, before it all went to hell, was that every single crook that Spider-Man beats up and leaves hanging from webbing in front of the precinct?

They can't be charged with anything. They *can* file charges against Spider-Man, for assault and wrongful imprisonment and maybe even defamation (since he's certainly seeming to imply that they're crooks, by doing this, even if he's not legally able to arrest them, and by being who he is, a masked vigilante operating outside the law, he's not even able to make a citizen's arrest, and has completely tainted any legal proceedings against them, to the point where any decent lawyer could get the case thrown out of court).

If there was some sort of registration, and training, first of all, superhero first-responders might actually be presumed to know useful stuff like how to do CPR and when to call the bomb squad, but also be *legally* able to arrest people. It would seem to be a no-brainer, and I would expect Captain America, who has always been 'registered' and 'trained' and 'deputized' to totally go for it. And Iron Man, who regularly violates just about every ethical standard known to man, and sometimes invents new sketch we don't even have laws for yet, to laugh and laugh and finally say, "Yeah, no."

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Cap has shown many times over the years he is not just puppet of the govt. If he disagrees with something he is not going to just fall in line and follow orders. Stark on the other hand is a business man and the govt could literally take everything he owns. Steve loses his suit he is still a super being. Tony loses his suits and money and he is just dude. Of course Tony is going to fall in line. Plus I don't think Tony ever really gets how dangerous it is for so many heroes to reveal their idenities. He is a rich guy surround by security and hanging in business circles which is a lot different than some hero on his own just walking down the street.

Tony originally opposed SRA but eventually turned around after the Stamford incident which I think was a bold way of showing what unrestricted vigilantism can cause. As I said I was with the pro-registration side until the story needed bad guys and Millar did what he does best.

If I was an average civilian in marvel I'd be 100% against secret identities (at least the government should know) and I'd probably supported SRA during Civil War before the whole story went to isht with pro-registration side using villains, building a prison in negative zone and making a killer Thor clone. However none of these change the fact that most superheroes are vigilantes at best and they operate outside the law even if they work with law enforcement.
    I feel like if I was an average civilian, I'd consider the Avengers and the Fantastic Four proper superheroes. No secret identities, proper training, government liaisons, all that. Even the X-Men had X-Factor set up through legitimate channels. I don't think I'd be able to paint them all with one brush, and I may not even like Spider-Man, but I wouldn't think of him when I think of superheroes. I'd be suspicious of the SRA because it would make me think anyone with powers over the age of 18 will be drafted, and I'm certainly against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The other huge disconnect for me, was that Captain America, the literal soldier, who has worked for the government and respects rule of law, was anti-registration, while Tony Stark, who has kind of steamrollered over various laws for his own benefit, defied the government at several points, lied to both the government and his fellow Avengers about whether or not he was responsible for stuff that Iron Man had done (the Armor Wars, for example), etc. was pro-registration.

That made zero sense to me.
    I remember Joe Quesada once saying it's more interesting to flip the roles like that. I did feel like most of them were acting out of character, though, and they were acting like they hadn't addresses or discussed these issues and concerns before.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "They're hardly as worldly or as open-minded as they may fancy themselves, nor as familiar with the kinds of injustices that the pioneers were exposed to..."

Like where are you getting this from? Who are you talking about? I feel like you're making up some stereotype of a young naive "progressive" and attacking that image rather than criticizing the work of actual creators. Naming someone or some specific comic wouldn't be a waste of your time, it would be you backing up your argument.

For instance, let's pick a modern writer who's somewhat controversial...how about Brian Michael Bendis?

Some people don't like his dialogue. Some people don't like his pacing. Some people think he's great at set ups but can't stick the landing. Some people didn't like an interview where he said some fans don't realize how racist they sound sometimes.

Any if these would be reasonable arguments to make as opposed to making vague assumptions based on the fact that he was born in 60's rather than the 20's.
    To be honest, this seems to be a sentiment amping older fans who feel that the younger generation are not writing good stories. I am not that old nor have I read every comic but I feel that it is an exaggeration. I could be wrong

Tony originally opposed SRA but eventually turned around after the Stamford incident which I think was a bold way of showing what unrestricted vigilantism can cause. As I said I was with the pro-registration side until the story needed bad guys and Millar did what he does best.
    Exactly! People thinking Tony would just go along with the government don't know the character. He's gone up against the government quite a few times.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 11-28-2022 at 07:07 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    To be honest, this seems to be a sentiment amping older fans who feel that the younger generation are not writing good stories. I am not that old nor have I read every comic but I feel that it is an exaggeration. I could be wrong
    You're not. And I say that as someone who's been reading comics for over 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    You're not. And I say that as someone who's been reading comics for over 40 years.
    Yeah, I am 44 reading comics since I was 6 and I know two things for sure
    1 it always has been up and down , only the offer was limited and less frequent in time and we did not realized it
    2 sometimes Is ok to accept that you do not have to like everything that is published or that everything in pop culture had to meet your standard. (The crossing broke me into those two points, as well as marvel 2099 who I loved once but I am OK with it being a case closed for Marvel)

Back with some new ones!

Some characters only have a limited number of stories to tell. Jessica Jones only had one story to tell. It's been told. It's time to stop trying to squeeze blood from that stone.

I know that Marvel did Neil Gaiman a solid by buying his trash character Angela. Whatever price Marvel paid was too high(search your feelings, you know it's true Angela is a garbage character, and I like the character) but does he really need to do them a favor in return by getting involved in the Miracleman boondoggle? Remember how I said that earlier that certain characters only have so many stories in them?

Marvel Comics doesn't have the talent to put out this many superhero comics. They need to put out twenty to twenty-five superhero titles. Keep a couple of Star Wars titles. Then maybe some slice of life which should be a hit because we have a lot of superhero writers that would be better slice of life writers than superhero writers. WE. ALL. KNOW. WHO. THEY. ARE.

Speaking of lacking talent to write superhero comics, Marvel needs to hire Warren Ellis to write something for them. DO IT YOU COWARDS!

If Marvel actually targeted the true target audience this board would explode with post wondering why the superhero comics got so violent and misogynistic. I've seen what they like. Anyone on these boards that is talking about how Marvel needs to reach out and how you aren't the target audience is lying to themselves and to you

The MCU will not get Doctor Doom right. They will also make fun of his name and the sycophants will rush to defend this.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest