Page 126 of 181 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2702
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Try to make Inhumans more like mutants and it doesn't work.

Try to make mutants more like Inhumans it works.

Looks like Inhumans are just doomed to fail .
    This goes to show that their concept is interesting, but people were scared that the X-Men were going to be canceled and never come back, and they used the inhumans as scapegoats. It also shows how similar they really are, but the inhumans have more of a purpose than mutants as far as origins go.

Extraordinary Member

So, with all the China and Hong Kong stuff in the news recently, it's made me feel really conflicted about a host a companies, but especially Disney. Yes, I knew Disney was evil, sure, we all know that, but all this recent stuff has made me really unable to just sort of laugh and ignore that now. I've already decided against the Disney+ thing and I'm certainly going to not go to the Mulan movie, but this leads me to Marvel.

Marvel has been a major way for Disney to break into China. It's not exactly always been easy for them in the past, but the Marvel movies are working for them.

This then leads to the comics. Marvel itself seems to be trying to not be quite political at the moment, sort of, but then you have characters like Aero and several others who seem created to be used for future movies that work with a Chinese market.

And again, not saying we shouldn't have Chinese characters or that all Asian characters are a part of some nefarious agenda. China is a hot market and Asian people in general do deserve more representation in American media. There's also nothing wrong with characters being created with a certain message or agenda.

But again...I mean, we have literal organ harvesting in China. We have Hong Kong and Taiwan. I don't mind Marvel just ignoring those situations, but I don't want to hear something about how great China is in my comics. I don't want to get the feeling that we're meant to root for a brutal dictatorship.

And that's my fear for where this is going.

Astonishing Member

I sort of understand that considering what they did with Agents of Atlas.

I feel that if something changes too much in order to stay relevant, it’s proof of how irrelevant it actually is.

Not only that but it’s bad that they’re piggybacking on the Agents of Atlas name rather than trying to create their own identity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I sort of understand that considering what they did with Agents of Atlas.

I feel that if something changes too much in order to stay relevant, it’s proof of how irrelevant it actually is.

Not only that but it’s bad that they’re piggybacking on the Agents of Atlas name rather than trying to create their own identity.
    I totally support the Agents of Atlas thing. I want more representation and Asian fans deserve more characters and Disney and Marvel should be allowed to expand their audience.

It's just...well, all the other stuff.

Stop trying to make "Kate Pryde" a thing.

Kitty as a name stands out more and we already have a prominent "Kate" in Kate Bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    This goes to show that their concept is interesting, but people were scared that the X-Men were going to be canceled and never come back, and they used the inhumans as scapegoats. It also shows how similar they really are, but the inhumans have more of a purpose than mutants as far as origins go.
    This right here
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

“Scapegoats” feels like the wrong word for what the inhumans were, because it implies that Marvel was not actually pushing the inhumans are mutant replacements. Which they were.

Beyond that, I feel like it takes a very shallow reading of the inhumans to think that the current X-status quo is just like them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I totally support the Agents of Atlas thing. I want more representation and Asian fans deserve more characters and Disney and Marvel should be allowed to expand their audience.

It's just...well, all the other stuff.
    What other stuff?

What I was annoyed by was how it was Agents of Atlas in name only. There’s nothing wrong with having an Asian team.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    What other stuff?

What I was annoyed by was how it was Agents of Atlas in name only. There’s nothing wrong with having an Asian team.
    they handle it better than Champions/defenders.

The current Agents are just a faction within the Atlas Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    “Scapegoats” feels like the wrong word for what the inhumans were, because it implies that Marvel was not actually pushing the inhumans are mutant replacements. Which they were.

Beyond that, I feel like it takes a very shallow reading of the inhumans to think that the current X-status quo is just like them.
    Replacements means they actually replaced them, which they never did. No one went anywhere. They were used as scapegoats for the Fox thing and anything people didn't like about the X-Men. They blamed fictional characters that didn't warrant that amount of hate. If people thought that the inhumans did what the X-Men did, I'm not surprised they think the X-Men are copying the inhumans. We did get good inhumans stories and characters out of their inclusion in the MU.

Let's not forget this 90's comic quote:

It is known that Ike Perlmutter personally pushed for the retooling of the Inhumans in a fashion for them to function like the X-Men, so that Marvel could have a mutant-like characters in their multimedia properties without worrying about the license issue with Fox. It was never convincingly done, it didn't work, but we know they were trying to do that.

You can believe that and still be a fan of the Inhumans and the comics that were published during that period. They are not mutually exclusive prospects. I agree that it's irrational to transition a distaste for a multimedia marketing strategy into a distaste for the actual characters themselves.

It is known that Ike Perlmutter personally pushed for the retooling of the Inhumans in a fashion for them to function like the X-Men, so that Marvel could have a mutant-like characters in their multimedia properties without worrying about the license issue with Fox. It was never convincingly done, it didn't work, but we know they were trying to do that.

You can believe that and still be a fan of the Inhumans and the comics that were published during that period. They are not mutually exclusive prospects. I agree that it's irrational to transition a distaste for a multimedia marketing strategy into a distaste for the actual characters themselves.
    Well, they've always been very similar and considered mutants by outsiders since the 80's because they're basically the same except for their backstory and raison d'ętre. (Check the screenshot above) They weren't retooled exactly. They were expanded upon. They still remained unique to their own brand though. And you can't replace characters. It doesn't work that way.

Did Perlmutter even concern himself with the comics? As far as I'm aware, it was just the movies/tv where tried to make Inhumans a thing, and the comics were just pushing them to capitalise on the increase in interest for the characters. The idea that Marvel was ever going to do away with X-Men, one of their most profitable properties, is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Replacements means they actually replaced them, which they never did. No one went anywhere. They were used as scapegoats for the Fox thing and anything people didn't like about the X-Men. They blamed fictional characters that didn't warrant that amount of hate. If people thought that the inhumans did what the X-Men did, I'm not surprised they think the X-Men are copying the inhumans. We did get good inhumans stories and characters out of their inclusion in the MU.

Let's not forget this 90's comic quote:
    Where's this from please?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where's this from please?
    Earth X, issue 0