Page 11 of 181 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    I've got a couple:
    Deadpool isn't really that funny.
    I've enjoyed most Marvel events that I've read. (Except Fear Itself).
    Wolverine shouldn't be on The Avengers.
    The current Avengers (Marvel NOW) are way to powerful.
    Nick Fury Sr should be able to co-exist with Nick Fury Jr.
    Hyperion is awesome.
    Captain Marvel needs more publicity.
    Sam Wilson (as Captain America), shouldn't use the shield.
    Cyclops isn't evil, but misunderstood.
    Norman Osborn is a better Avengers villain, than a Spider-man villain.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Except the Deadpool isn't funny, but I don't read his solo book or any of his many limited series. I know Remender does great with him(Uncanny X-Force and Axis)

I don't know Hyperion very well, so I cant say whether I can agree or not, and I don't read Cap or care enough about Falcon to speculate on the shield thing

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Most of the Marvel Superman clones are terrible (Hyperion, Sentry, Wonder Man)
    Blade is the only non-stereotypical black Marvel character who isn't from Africa or the "hood"
    Blue Marvel says Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, that's why the only ones that lives there are the ones who dont any other place to stay or want protection from anti-mutant attacks.

But its necessary, given that these days basically everyone wants to kill them......................................
    I get that, but still. What about the mutant students that don't want to be X-Men? In the movies, the Xavier Institute was a place for mutants to go to school in peace, free from the prejudices and rejection they'd suffer in "normal" school, and learn to control their powers. But one thing is learning to control your powers and another is getting put through the gauntlet every day in case you need to fight Sentinels or the Brotherhood or f'cking Apocalypse. In the movies, only the senior, more experienced students graduated and became X-Men (if they so desired) to help further the cause and protect mutantkind, or they went back to the world, a fully educated citizen in control of themselves and their bodies.

Also, the Jean Grey school does look ugly, I miss the classic, and classy, Xavier Mansion.

It's all personal opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That aside, I'd say, for an unpopular/uncommon/controversial opinion, that Brian Bendis isn't that bad a writer, but he does best in the arena of gritty, street-oriented crime noir fiction. It's why his Daredevil and Alias were as good as they were; he used characters that were already street-level heroes (or conceived as street-level heroes) as protagonists and central figures for the kind of stories that he was more familiar with, and it largely worked. What didn't work for his skill-set was trying to take on stories and characters that should be larger than life and epic in scope, like the Avengers and more recently the Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-Men, hence the mixed reactions to his runs on all of those series.
    Agreed 100%. As much as I **** on Bendis, he is very good in that particular niche. It's just that when they shove him into everything just because of his popularity it gets annoying (kind of like Wolverine) especially in stuff he may not be as suited to work with (GotG especially).

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I will concede that Peter Parker is currently the least interesting Spider-Person in the Marvel Universe(s), but also say that the blame largely lies with Marvel wanting to turn the clock back on his character and actively reject any progress, advancement, or growth he achieved over his decades of existence. Even more so, Marvel is bent on keeping him trapped in a very narrow and limiting status quo as the constant underdog (which, given his talents and resources, sounds more like underachiever in practice) of the setting, a status quo that has long since become stale and tired for a lot of readers and fans. That is what has made Peter Parker the blandest and least interesting of Marvel's Spider-Heroes, that Marvel itself can't see past its tired and outdated ideas of what he is, what he represents, and what he should be or represent.
    You completely nailed it. I think the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    Blue Marvel says Hi!

I get that, but still. What about the mutant students that don't want to be X-Men? In the movies, the Xavier Institute was a place for mutants to go to school in peace, free from the prejudices and rejection they'd suffer in "normal" school, and learn to control their powers. But one thing is learning to control your powers and another is getting put through the gauntlet every day in case you need to fight Sentinels or the Brotherhood or f'cking Apocalypse. In the movies, only the senior, more experienced students graduated and became X-Men (if they so desired) to help further the cause and protect mutantkind, or they went back to the world, a fully educated citizen in control of themselves and their bodies.

Also, the Jean Grey school does look ugly, I miss the classic, and classy, Xavier Mansion.

It's all personal opinion, of course.

Agreed 100%. As much as I **** on Bendis, he is very good in that particular niche. It's just that when they shove him into everything just because of his popularity it gets annoying (kind of like Wolverine) especially in stuff he may not be as suited to work with (GotG especially).

You completely nailed it. I think the same.
    Well, the movie-verse X-men never had to deal with all the %&%%&/&% the 616 X-men had to.
    Besides, in the movies, the students joined because they didnt want to hurt anyone in a sudden power outburst; instead, in the comics, they joined because they didnt want to get gutted by the Purifiers or SHIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by SidheKnight View Post
    I don't like the Jean Grey School. It looks like some weird alien stuff stitched to a regular mansion. Also, surprise danger room tests for all students? Who would actually want to spend time in a school like that? The thing is a fucking death trap. You know who got the Xavier Institute perfectly? The movies.
    Agreed. The Jean Grey School is stupid, and runs directly counter to the purpose it was ostensibly built for. Wolverine felt that the kids should be allowed to be kids . . . so he made a school where they can be attacked at literally any moment. Where even taking a piss can risk serious physical harm. Meanwhile, Scott, the guy who was supposedly training kids as soldiers, had them go out on patrols under the supervision of more experienced X-Men, and didn't subject them to completely random assaults.

The Jean Grey School teaches students to be paranoid and always looking over their shoulders for any attack. Any loud noise is going to make them automatically react aggressively. It's one of the dumbest, most insane things ever.

Further, the set-up ensures the only students the school can actually afford to take are the ones who can fight. The whole building being one big Danger Room with violent tests happening completely at random means a student whose mutation doesn't benefit them in combat is going to be at a severe disadvantage. It's fine for someone like Rockslide, who's invulnerable anyway. But throw in some guy like Skin, and he's going to be severely injured his first week, and will immediately leave, because he's not going to want to be shot at when he's just trying to get to class. It pushes away mutants who just want to get a handle on their mutations, and makes them feel useless and alone.

One of many, many, many, many reasons why Jason Aaron ranks up with Chuck Austen among the all-time worst X-Men writers.
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 03-05-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Agreed. The Jean Grey School is stupid, and runs directly counter to the purpose it was ostensibly built for. Wolverine felt that the kids should be allowed to be kids . . . so he made a school where they can be attacked at literally any moment. Where even taking a piss can risk serious physical harm. Meanwhile, Scott, the guy who was supposedly training kids as soldiers, had them go out on patrols under the supervision of more experienced X-Men, and didn't subject them to completely random assaults.

The Jean Grey School teaches students to be paranoid and always looking over their shoulders for any attack. Any loud noise is going to make them automatically react aggressively. It's one of the dumbest, most insane things ever.

One of many, many, many, many reasons why Jason Aaron ranks up with Chuck Austen among the all-time worst X-Men writers.
    Im pretty sure Spidey's spider-sense is turned on 90% of the time.

All-New Member

Shuri shoudn't have died.
    I like the idea of there being more than one school for mutants.
    The All-New X-Men shouldn't be exclusive to one side (I.E, they should be neutral in the conflicts between the two institutions).
    I like Star-Lord's charecterisation in the movie more than in thhe comics.
    Gamora's current costume is better than her previous ones.
    I like Venom post-Mac Gargan (Agent Venom-present) more than I do for his previous incarnations after his initial storylines, so I wouldn't like to see him become a villain ir villainous anti-hero again.
    Spawn should be acknowledged at least once.
    The Black Vortex is an interesting plot device, though currently nothing more than a macguffin.
    I liked Age of Ultron.

The Thing is stronger than the Hulk, nuff said !

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    This is so true. For some reason everything he does X-Men-wise is just nonsensical word vomit. The JGS really is a terrible mess.

Mind you the NXS has students abetting escaped criminals causing them to needlessly get in trouble with the law, so imo it is also not a great school (not to mention they never seem to have any classes, except the occasional danger room session, and what are the staff even competent to teach? Ethics? lol). But at least it lacks death traps. Unless weapon x left some lying around...

Unpopular opinions:

- Fraction's Hawkeye run ended up mediocre at best
    - I have never liked Spiderman or any of his books. Someone in this thread said he was a regressive character-- they are correct. I also don't see what is relatable about a person who: has amazing superpowers with no drawbacks, is a genius, married a supermodel, and whose only problem is a chronic inability to get his !@#$ together. Every superhero in the MU faces the same problems he does.
    Last edited by Wren; 03-05-2015 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    This is so true. For some reason everything he does X-Men-wise is just nonsensical word vomit. The JGS really is a terrible mess.

Mind you the NXS has students abetting escaped criminals causing them to needlessly get in trouble with the law, so imo it is also not a great school (not to mention they never seem to have any classes, except the occasional danger room session, and what are the staff even competent to teach? Ethics? lol). But at least it lacks death traps. Unless weapon x left some lying around...

Unpopular opinions:

- Fraction's Hawkeye run ended up mediocre at best
    - I have never liked Spiderman or any of his books. Someone in this thread said he was a regressive character-- they are correct. I also don't see what is relatable about a person who: has amazing superpowers with no drawbacks, is a genius, married a supermodel, and whose only problem is a chronic inability to get his !@#$ together. Every superhero in the MU faces the same problems he does.
    Well, if Lockhead can teach, then anyone can teach.

* There are too many mutants
    * I tried to like Captain Marvel but feel shes just there because they needed a powerful woman and then treat her to stories like "Girls day shopping!" and "He Loves me, He Loves Me not".
    * There are way too many mutants
    * We need more Good Characters and Evil characters, not all the Gray Characters.
    * There are too many mutants
    * How can the New Mutants grow up when no one else does?
    * Need more books from the Bad Guys point of view
    * Less Wolverine, Spider-Man, Deadpool and X-Men please...
    * More street level books. Not everything has to be an over exaggerated event with the fate of the Universe in the balance.
    * Keep the She-Hulk Monthly ongoing!!!
    * Keep books in continuity and create an "Elseworlds" type of series or What IF for those out of it.
    * Need more Super Villain team ups and groups. If people don't know how to write Super Villain teams refer them to the The Avengers arc "Under Siege".
    * More unique heroes instead of She this and Man that.
    * We get the need for MCU Branding in the 616, BUT wouldn't it be better to just create an MCU line of comics instead of making the Cute and cuddly Guardians of the Galaxy etc???
    * Let the bad guys win for a change.
    * Stop with the hokey Retcons!!! See Continuity!
    * Last but not least, LESS MUTANTS

I'd rather see Marvel reboot than watch them continue to bastardize their characters, that way I can at least look at the characters they're writing poorly and be glad they aren't the ones I've come to enjoy.

Mighty Member

- Black Widow (although a favorite character of mine) should not be a main Avenger. She should only be used for spy-type missions or as a tactician. She is totally unbelievable fighting gods and for missions in space.
    - Spider-Woman's 'likability' is counter-productive to the cool side of her character - the one with the crazy pheromones that make people hate her.
    - Bucky Cap is way better that Sam Cap.
    - Writers should keep their political agendas out of comic books and not use characters as their personal mouthpieces.
    - Bendis created an amazing character - Jessica Jones, then completely destroyed her likability.
    - Retcons that retcon in a character 'displaced in time' or whatnot (Sentry, Blue Marvel, Jewell) need to stop. Every time I see Jewell with Avengers in a flashback I just cringe.
    - Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau deserve better than they are getting and should be on a main Avengers team.
    - Monica Rambeau needs a Marvel Legends figure.
    - Janet to Wanda 'Oops I accidentally mentioned your long lost dead-kinda kids' moment that sparked Disassembled was the WORST and laziest writing/character misalignment in a long time.
    - The Star-Lord/Kitty relationship is just awful. 'Let's date by hologram' - Lame.
    - The induction of an Avenger to the team should be an event, with a press event, not the recent 'let's add a bunch of characters to the roster that nobody has ever heard of and never really explore their personalities' trend.
    - Adding Avengers should make sense to the story, not just adding to add - I'm looking at you Storm and Daredevil.
    - The Eternals are sorely missing and should be used.
    - Tigra, another favorite of mine, just doesn't work anymore. Cat lady in a bikini was fine 30 years ago, but it just doesn't work anymore. She needs a major overhaul.
    - Marvel needs to use a more of the cocky characters - Northstar, Moondragon, because they are a fun element in otherwise boring stories.
    - Little/teen Loki is dumb.
    - Worst character assassination in a long time: the dumbing down of Hawkeye. Just a mockery of a once awesome character. Bring back hothead Hawkeye!
    - The artist on She-Hulk needs to be fired. Yes I know the book ended, but he should still go away.
    - The regenerate/heal quickly power is so overused and irritating. The only character that should be able to completely heal is Mr. Immortal, because it's played for laughs.
    - Jocasta is such a cool concept and should be developed and used a lot more.
    - Altering comic characters to match the movie version is just plain insulting.
    - Maria Hill should always be tough as nails. Whenever she shows her sensitive side, I cringe.
    - The Wrecking Crew needs to win once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Beamish View Post
    - Writers should keep their political agendas out of comic books and not use characters as their personal mouthpieces.
    This. Unless it's always been a part of their character or has always been a large part of their characterization, it shouldn't really happen otherwise.

- The induction of an Avenger to the team should be an event, with a press event, not the recent 'let's add a bunch of characters to the roster that nobody has ever heard of and never really explore their personalities' trend.
    I've never actually thought about it, but this would be an amazing way to introduce new members to readers. And it's steeped in realism when you consider human/hero relations and the celebrity status of superheroes.

Writers should keep their political agendas out of comic books and not use characters as their personal mouthpieces
    I disagree, that's pretty much how we ended up with all those shallow, empty books the market is filled with today.

There was a time where writers actually had opinions and tried to express them. Free of you to disagree or agree with the said opinions but at least characters have a bit more about them than just punches and silly costumes.

I remember Green Arrow and Hawkeye for example having fierce debates about politics and society. Of course it wasn't at all the whole issue but it gave those characters some layers.

- Bendis created an amazing character - Jessica Jones, then completely destroyed her likability.
    - Retcons that retcon in a character 'displaced in time' or whatnot (Sentry, Blue Marvel, Jewell) need to stop. Every time I see Jewell with Avengers in a flashback I just cringe.
    - Monica Rambeau deserve better than they are getting and should be on a main Avengers team.
    - Monica Rambeau needs a Marvel Legends figure.
    - The Star-Lord/Kitty relationship is just awful. 'Let's date by hologram' - Lame.
    - Adding Avengers should make sense to the story, not just adding to add - I'm looking at you Storm and Daredevil.
    - The Eternals are sorely missing and should be used.
    - Tigra, another favorite of mine, just doesn't work anymore. Cat lady in a bikini was fine 30 years ago, but it just doesn't work anymore. She needs a major overhaul.
    - Little/teen Loki is dumb.
    - Worst character assassination in a long time: the dumbing down of Hawkeye. Just a mockery of a once awesome character. Bring back hothead Hawkeye!
    - The regenerate/heal quickly power is so overused and irritating. The only character that should be able to completely heal is Mr. Immortal, because it's played for laughs.
    - Altering comic characters to match the movie version is just plain insulting.
    - Maria Hill should always be tough as nails. Whenever she shows her sensitive side, I cringe.
    - The Wrecking Crew needs to win once in a while.
    I agree with all of these especially the bold part.

I'll add some more to mine
    The last run on Young Avengers was terrible
    Hickman's Avengers books should have better art
    Events aren't terrible things just avoid the ones you don't care for
    I think Amazing Spider-Man needs a new writer
    We need better comics