Page 120 of 181 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2712
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Ha. The idea that Xavier was ever not a jerk. The premise of the series had him recruiting child soldiers. The second issue had him wipe Vanisher's memory. He faked a serious injury and loss of power. He faked his own death just to get some alone time. Xavier was always a dick.
    Oh, I'm not saying he didn't do some questionable things in the beginning. I overlook the recruiting of minors because this is comics (I mean, if we go by that logic, then Steve Rogers was basically the first historical dick to let a minor go to war), and yeah, the whole lying about powers and faking his death was definitely not cool, but I could live with just that because it wasn't as bad as some things some writers made him do later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm fine with the O5 X-Men sticking around in the present now that it has been revealed that they come from a different timeline. Basically, I like the idea of getting those classic characters and telling their storylines from scratch, allowing them to grow and evolve differently than the original versions. As a matter of fact, I would not mind if they did that again with another character: Professor X. The original Xavier became such a jerk (#KittyWasRight) over the years with all of those retcons that just made him look worse and worse, and I feel like his image of father figure, beacon of hope and moral compass for the mutant community was tainted beyond repair. So I'd be down with Prof. X from an alternative, past timeline being brought to the present and being an actual role model this time around, and not the guy who perved on Jean Grey when she was a teen, enslaved a sentient being, brainwashed Wolverine, etc.
    Well, according to Generations, the O5 came from the main timeline; so there is no definite answer on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying he didn't do some questionable things in the beginning. I overlook the recruiting of minors because this is comics (I mean, if we go by that logic, then Steve Rogers was basically the first historical dick to let a minor go to war), and yeah, the whole lying about powers and faking his death was definitely not cool, but I could live with just that because it wasn't as bad as some things some writers made him do later on.
    Well, the less messed up of the O5 is Iceman, who was in denial about being in the closet for a really long time.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 08-13-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Either way there really hasn't been an asian avenger aside from Mantis (who is actually an alien)... and she's there... you could shoehorn Shang-chi but still...
    I know you talking about the main avengers team but there have been asians on other avenger teams however,like mighty avengers,u.s. avengers,a-force etc...
    Just like there are other x-men teams,like new mutants,generation x etc...

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Avengers_members

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Category:X-Men_members
    Last edited by mace11; 08-14-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Blacks have always been second most dominant in relevance, recognition, in priority, unlike other races or groups which haven't been given importance. So Asians and other groups will always be third, etc in priority, etc. Its not just marvel. In a lot of movies, there will always be black who is part of the main cast. What about us? We'll always be the third choice, third option, third priority, etc, which means represented but not part of the main cast, just given a minor role, etc

And if they keep on thinking that black are part of the minority, then the less chances of us not being represented, because the black will always be top priority among the minority. Thats why i dont consider black as part of the minority because we dont get the same treatment that blacks are getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    The point is the black are easily the second mot represented while the thir, fourth, etc most represented is very vague. Marvel makes sure that their movies will always have a black character as one of the main cast while asians and others only get minor roles or cameos.
    I replied to this a few pages ago.

There has been other poc of color in main or major roles in some of the marvel movies overtime.
    Mcu and non-mcu.
    Not as much as black people but they are there and it's increasing.
    Ask anybody in new mutant movie thread for example.
    This is the case for other movies that are not marvel as well like the g.i joe movies,some of the star trek movies,increasingly some star wars movies,some dc movies and some others movies i could list but i don't have time right now.
    So things are improving.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-14-2017 at 03:22 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Like an accurate reenactment of what happened ?.
    Something like that. I just think it would go further to explaining why the real Heather should be honored rather than just giving the next replacement hero her name.

Ha. The idea that Xavier was ever not a jerk. The premise of the series had him recruiting child soldiers. The second issue had him wipe Vanisher's memory. He faked a serious injury and loss of power. He faked his own death just to get some alone time. Xavier was always a dick.
    I think Xavier definitely had his less then stellar moments and did some skeevy stuff in the early days but at the same time I think they sometimes went overboard with that kind of stuff in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, can't say I bought that. Frankly, when there are $3 comics out there, $5 is very hard to justify.

I don't think Cage has had "a lot" of shots, but he's had a pretty average amount. At least as much as Moon Knight or Cable, maybe half as many as the Punisher..
    Compared to the likes of Sleepwalker or the Darkhold Redeemers or even Iron Fist?? Luke Cage never really 'goes away'... he's always around just never really getting traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Ding-Ding-Ding-DINGDINGDING! Marvel spouts the world diversity, but until you actually come up with some new ethnicites for your new characters, the point is moot. Black, white, man, woman, if they're yet another US Hero that operates in NY, I'm not seeing the big deal. Look at Overwatch. They've got people from all races, creeds, and yes, ethnicities. This makes the whole universe seem more rounded. And that's just in what, a year or so? Compare that with Marvel, who, in about 70 years of publication, has more prominent Alien heroes than non-US Based ones! I mean, that's some gosh dang absurdity right there! Sure, we had those "just slap what this country's famous/infamous for on somebody and call it a day" characters (Shamrock and the like), but that hardly counts, especially since they almost never show up.

To preach that diversity is at the forefront, and then turn around and do nothing to represent anyone other than people from the USA is hypocritical. I don't really care since I don't need the protagonists to look like me to enjoy a story, but the direction they're taking is dishonest at best. Why couldn't the "smartest person in the world" be someone from Monaco, instead of yet another New Yorker? Why couldn't the new Iron Man be someone from Italy or Greece? Why couldn't the new Thor be someone from Norway or Germany? Why couldn't the Avengers recruit a new hero from Haiti or China? Why are SHIELD Agents all US-Born Citizens (except from a few foreigners) if SHIELD acts as more of a NATO Peace-Keeping Force than strictly an American one? And so on and so forth...

>inb4 they're US-Comics intended for a US audience

Then they should just come out and say "we're interested only in US-Based Diversity". That's okay and all, I'm not judging, but at least admit it.

Honestly, the Big 2 should learn something from both Indies and Eurocomics, and that is having a beginning, a middle and an end. Either reboot the Universe, or simply let the characters age in real time and then retire them, keeping their stories intact and then continuing with new characters. Some mantles could be passed on, some would just rest. Everyone gets definitive closure, and continuity stops posing as much of a problem, since everything becomes more stream-lined and easy to follow.
    Honest answer? You are expecting WAY too much from writers. Most people on here claim that a man has no business trying to write a female led book... but you want these guys to ACCURATELY portray german characters interacting with and Indonesian guy and and a gal from Brazil who's fighting a guy from India all while avoiding stereotypes and cliché's???

Won't happen. Ever. Certainly to where people who those supposed to be represented won't roll their eyes at the 'obvious' tokenism. Clairmont did as good as you can reasonably expect with the 70's X-Men and that was just written by Americans for Americans with a few Russian or German words thrown in for flavor.

And honestly from a business point of view they shouldn't. The whole world doesn't need to be represented in Marvel Comics. It's an American company with a 90% American audience and they can't even fully represent every variety of THAT culture.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer is a good movie. It's not great, it's nothing exceptional, it has tons of flaws. But it's perfectly enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    In that vein, I thought the 2005 Fantastic Four movie captured the spirit of the team quite well.

In fact, I rather enjoyed it.
    I'm a fan of both of those movies. Like all movies, there were a couple of flaws, but if I had full control over everything... I'd keep about 85% of them exactly as is. Both excellent representatives of the comics they are meant to be. Fan4stic.... That sucked on every level. I can't remember anything I'd save from that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    Haha...it wasn't that bad...had they made Galactus look like Galactus, even just a GLIMPSE, I probably would have liked it.
    Well, as has been pointed out, there were glimpses (though it took multiple views for me to notice since they were just TOO subtle...) But really, Giant purple toga is something that I pretty much KNEW would be cut somehow... Even Ultimate Marvel turned him into a giant space insect swarm. Considering all the things that people scream 'would never work on screen' that I disagree with... classic Galactus even I'll go along with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Here's a controversial or unpopular opinion (apparently):

Comic books are basically an escape from our daily lives, made to unwind and be entertained for a few moments. To see them as anything else, or more, than this is simply setting oneself up for sore disappointment.
    Absolutely!! I agree completely. I say the same thing about movies. Too many people seem to want their lives changed by something designed as mere entertainment...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Most people on here claim that a man has no business trying to write a female led book.
    Literally no one has said that men shouldn't write female-led titles. I've made the argument that Captain Marvel should be reserved as a title for female creators, solely because of its place as their primary feminist title. My argument, as I've said time and time again, is solely and entirely about optics. That is the extent of my reasoning. And it is literally the only Marvel title that I think would be best-positioned as a launching pad for all-female creative teams. Outside that one specific title, I'm fine with guys writing female-led titles, and in fact, many titles I've loved in recent years have been female-led titles written by men.

There is not one single person saying men shouldn't write female-led titles. That is a blatant straw man.

Literally no one has said that men shouldn't write female-led titles. I've made the argument that Captain Marvel should be reserved as a title for female creators, solely because of its place as their primary feminist title. My argument, as I've said time and time again, is solely and entirely about optics. That is the extent of my reasoning. And it is literally the only Marvel title that I think would be best-positioned as a launching pad for all-female creative teams. Outside that one specific title, I'm fine with guys writing female-led titles, and in fact, many titles I've loved in recent years have been female-led titles written by men.

There is not one single person saying men shouldn't write female-led titles. That is a blatant straw man.
    Well, that's you then. I have seen this exact same statement for Batgirl, Supergirl, Birds of Prey, Ms. marvel and quite a few other female books with the exact argument that it's stupid and insensitive to have men write women characters. The only high profile female character that I DON"T remember seeing someone say that was for Jane-Thor probably because that writer is so intrinsict to the character.

But it's not just women characters... it's black characters, gay characters and any other minority character that people feel aren't represented well enough in the big 2 writing pools. You want to launch a woman led book... hire more women writers! You want a black character or muslim character... you need more black and muslim writers... because all these white heterosexual men who have been writing for decades can't possibly get the 'true experience' right.

You're honestly going to say you've never seen these rants? They're one of the reasons I rarely come to this site anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Well, that's you then. I have seen this exact same statement for Batgirl, Supergirl, Birds of Prey, Ms. marvel and quite a few other female books with the exact argument that it's stupid and insensitive to have men write women characters. The only high profile female character that I DON"T remember seeing someone say that was for Jane-Thor probably because that writer is so intrinsict to the character.

But it's not just women characters... it's black characters, gay characters and any other minority character that people feel aren't represented well enough in the big 2 writing pools. You want to launch a woman led book... hire more women writers! You want a black character or muslim character... you need more black and muslim writers... because all these white heterosexual men who have been writing for decades can't possibly get the 'true experience' right.

You're honestly going to say you've never seen these rants? They're one of the reasons I rarely come to this site anymore.
    Sure, there have been similar arguments made about other books. But the arguments are always about the specific books. No one says men shouldn't write female-led titles. They're saying that certain female-led titles should be have female creative teams, because of what the specific characters represent. No one objects to Ryan North writing Squirrel Girl. No one objected to Dennis Hopeless writing Spider-Woman. No one objected to Jeremy Whitley writing Unstoppable Wasp. No one really objected to Samnee/Waid on Black Widow, though I do side with the argument that it would have made a strong statement to put a woman on it. The same goes with minority characters - certain titles should arguably be used as showcases for creators from marginalized groups. David Walker on Luke Cage is a good idea. But Al Ewing on Night Thrasher wouldn't upset anyone.

Fantastic Member

I don't hate all of the Marvel Events. Some, like CWII, were bad and had no point. Others, like Secret Wars, were ok.

I am also in no real hurry to have the Fantastic Four come back. Yes, they are a huge part of the Marvel Legacy and all that. However, most people outside of here don't seem to really care about them that much, and their own comic apparently wasn't selling that well. Also, Secret Wars was a wonderful send-off for them, with Reed choosing to explore and recreate the multiverse with his family. I find that a lot of the time, comic books have a hard time letting go of certain characters. Hence, let them stay away for a good long while.
    Last edited by QuinnFillory; 08-29-2017 at 08:15 AM.

I kind of only want Invisible Woman to return tbh. As others have said Reed had a great send-off during Secret Wars, but Sue did not. She also has no part of the rebuilding of the universe, she's just there because Reed and the kids are which is understandable but annoying. Reed has had too much focus at the expense of the others on the Fantastic Four. He's the only one that needed a break, Sue shouldn't have been put on one with him.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Since it is the Kings birthday I have one that I know most people don't share. I really don't like Kirby's art that much. I have just never found it that appealing. His designs and creativity are amazing, but his art itself I just don't like that much.

Spectacular Member

Norman Osborn should have stayed dead. It was alot more poetic and interesting to have his shadow continuously loom over Peter from beyond the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    And I think Maria hill is misunderstood, I also like Maria hill as a character and always have I think I'm one of rare few fans who actually likes the character.
    I really like Maria Hill too, though more in a 'villain you love' kinda way. To me, she is a scheming politician, someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to further her goals. I have little doubt that if she could, she would get rid of every 'superhero' without a seconds hesitation. I also bet that she will be ducking away from any responsibility after Secret Empire ends. I mean, its not like she started Pleasant Hill or gave Carol the plans for the Earth Shield...

I meant the above as a compliment to her character mind, not criticism. I would love for her to get a solo book.