Page 138 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2702

Iron Man made Spider-Man the face of his team during Civil War. That was a good move.

Spectacular Member

Oh man, I was looking for a thread like this the other day.

*clears throat*

Nick Spencer's Captain America run where he turned Steve into a secret Hydra agent was a really bold, and daring thing to do. And I think his initial run on the solo Steve book was really great - in fact, it may have been my favorite Marvel book at the time. It was a completely new take on the character, and the new origin he came up with this new Steve was really well-thought-out. It was fascinating to read a Steve Roger with a similar personality and demeanor as he had before, yet was now using his capabilities for nefarious purposes. He was all intents and purposes the same old Steve, but now a Hydra agent, and that is what made the whole idea compelling. It was one of those books you kept wanting to read what will happen next and was unsure with how far Steve will fall. It was also a perfect capsule for America Politics at the time, showing the corruption of the American institutions and the flaws of the USA political system.

The build-up to Secret Empire was also great, with the first few issues perfectly paying off long-term plot points that Spencer was laying out since he took over Steve Roger. Whereas a lot of Marvel events have no reason to exist, Secret Empire did serve a purpose, given how much Spencer was building up to it. I also thought Secret Empire was a great event...

At least, for the first six or seven issues before it takes a huge downturn in the last few issues. The downswing was so huge, it made the whole thing feel more mediocre than it actually was. Literally, after Sam retakes the shield that is when I noticed the drop of quantity with the event. The event ended up being several issues too long, it felt like Spencer and Marvel got cold feet in those last few issues, and I think the introduction of alternate Steve was kind of a cop-out. Sometimes an ending can really make or break a storyline, and for many people, especially those who were against the idea in the first place were let down by the whole endeavor and associate Spencer's entire run as a failure.

On that note, I still believe the story of a Hydra Steve Rogers was a story worth telling, mostly because the execution in the initial solo run was so compelling. And I liked how Spencer showed a willingness to push the line that I rarely see other creators do in the Big 2. What other creator would have Steve "Hail Hydra", and never redeems at the end of his arc? Not only that, if you really think about it, the Hydra Steve Rogers is still, for all intents and purposes, the original Steve Rogers. The current Steve is just a new being created by the cosmic cube that has the original Steve's memories and personality, but the real Steve is the one locked up in jail with memories he believes are true. It's kind of messed up, and because of the huge blowback by fans, Marvel may never have the guts to return to that plot point ever again.

Its a shame really, since I think there are stories worth telling with a Hydra Steve still running around in the Marvel Universe.

Astonishing Member

It's really funny to consider that many of the heroes in Marvel can qualify as murderhobos, especially now that they're not as squeamish about killing. It makes it really funny when people try to claim that Marvel characters are more "human" than DC characters.

I was looking forward to Kibblesmith's new warriors run.

It annoys me greatly that 90% of geniuses in MU and also in most works of fiction are physicist and the rest are chemist/biologist (geneticist etc.) and not a single one is a mathematician. Though I guess it would be weird for someone working in algebraic topology to have space adventures. When I say mathematician I mean someone working purely in mathematics, not Reed Richards who is basically good at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    It annoys me greatly that 90% of geniuses in MU and also in most works of fiction are physicist and the rest are chemist/biologist (geneticist etc.) and not a single one is a mathematician. Though I guess it would be weird for someone working in algebraic topology to have space adventures. When I say mathematician I mean someone working purely in mathematics, not Reed Richards who is basically good at everything.
    Professor Moriarty?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Professor Moriarty?
    Isn't he also an astronomer? But yeah he's a good example but I can't think of someone like hım in marvel.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 06-25-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Most of the MU "science" genius aren't realistic at all -- they are basically magic users. That's why most of them, even if they have an alleged field, are portrayed as polymaths.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Math is boring?

Tough to get kids excited by watching people work long equations that result in... nothing? If you want adventures to be exciting they have to some kind of visible effect. some robot created, or lab accident mutations, or dimensions breached... But i'm trying to picture where Sheldon from Big Bang Theory would fit in a marvel universe... and not getting to excited about it.

That said, I'm sure that most of the other 'super-scientists' do their starts in 'mathematician'. All those equations that power up the Iron Man armor or create the flying cars had to start somewhere... but that stage would be pretty boring to watch

Isn't he also an astronomer? But yeah he's a good example but I can't think of someone like hım in marvel.
    Actually Moriarty himself appeared in a Marvel comic just this week. He and Irene Adler (of Sherlock Holmes fame?) were in a story in the Marvel Voices Pride issue.

Dr Doom's Romani heritage is only relevant for two things; to do stereotypical stories about him being a magician and for fans to make themselves feel better about rooting for a tyrant. These same fans will espouse how important Doom's heritage is to him and then turn around and fan cast white actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Most of the MU "science" genius aren't realistic at all -- they are basically magic users. That's why most of them, even if they have an alleged field, are portrayed as polymaths.
    Not at all realistic… You have Magneto, he possesses the power to manipulate the metal… and he was able to build secret bases, a satellite!! He had a shitty childhood, didn’t study except as a autodidact… and created genetically-modified creatures too.

Marvel’s answer is: “he’s a genius”. Well, you don’t acquire knowledge out of nowhere… I don’t think many people have built a house after reading a book, a hut maybe…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Dr Doom's Romani heritage is only relevant for two things; to do stereotypical stories about him being a magician and for fans to make themselves feel better about rooting for a tyrant. These same fans will espouse how important Doom's heritage is to him and then turn around and fan cast white actors.
    Doom annoyed me enough as is. You're completely right.

Leah should be used in Thor IV, since we already saw Hela.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Leah should be used in Thor IV, since we already saw Hela.
    I wouldn't mind Hela returning.