Page 142 of 181 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2706

I would support the idea of a Fantastic Four and a Fantastic Five team operating at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I would support the idea of a Fantastic Four and a Fantastic Five team operating at the same time.
    That is an interesting idea, and a good way to get around the Four members only team.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I don't see the attachment between them as unhealthy. She raised him. She is for all intents and purposes the only mother he ever knew, and their relationship is much more like a mother and son. If anything Peter stands out as being well developed for having a close family bond in a genre full of orphans and loners.
    Peter is a main character, and a main character is obligated to cut out anyone that doesn't add value to his life.

MJ can stay because she's sexy, but Aunt May just eats up his money and time, so she has to go.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Peter is a main character, and a main character is obligated to cut out anyone that doesn't add value to his life.

MJ can stay because she's sexy, but Aunt May just eats up his money and time, so she has to go.
    You're joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Telling an old woman who has only her nephew that she is strongly attached to him?
    When Peter moved in with Harry, May would call him and then get worried if he didn't answer. Then she would show up at the apartment unannounced. I was specifically referring to Amazing Spider-Man #109 where Aunt May is all "What happened to my dear sweet boy?!" and Gwen snaps back that Peter is a man. In #114, May admits what Gwen said was true and calls herself "a silly old fool". It was a pretty cool Gwen moment.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I don't see the attachment between them as unhealthy. She raised him. She is for all intents and purposes the only mother he ever knew, and their relationship is much more like a mother and son. If anything Peter stands out as being well developed for having a close family bond in a genre full of orphans and loners.
    In general, their relationship is pretty solid. But if you compare the Silver Age Peter and Aunt May relationship with, say, the relationship MJ had with Aunt Anna, Peter and May were overly worried about each other.

Another FF team would need a numberless name like "Fantastic Force" or "Future Foundation".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    When Peter moved in with Harry, May would call him and then get worried if he didn't answer. Then she would show up at the apartment unannounced. I was specifically referring to Amazing Spider-Man #109 where Aunt May is all "What happened to my dear sweet boy?!" and Gwen snaps back that Peter is a man. In #114, May admits what Gwen said was true and calls herself "a silly old fool". It was a pretty cool Gwen moment.

In general, their relationship is pretty solid. But if you compare the Silver Age Peter and Aunt May relationship with, say, the relationship MJ had with Aunt Anna, Peter and May were overly worried about each other.
    I guess you're right. It is unhealthy to be worrying about your last living relative after your husband was killed in a home invasion. (I'm both serious and joking when I say this.)

The thing that I loved about the Ultimate Spider-Man comics is that it showed that Aunt May is actually having a hard time with the tragedies that seemingly follow her. People often talk about how Aunt May is Peter's last living relative, but it feels like they forget that Peter is Aunt May's last living relative as well. It's something that you take for granted because you see things from the perspective of Peter, the main protagonist.

I haven’t read this issue, so I consider you’re right when you are saying that Aunt May overreacted.

Now, is it in character or not? What is interesting is showing imperfect and realistic characters who want their share of love and attention, isn’t it? Wasn’t Gwen partial too in her judgement? Didn’t she want more attention from Peter?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

It's a good point that May can be seen as reacting to the trauma of Ben's murder.
    Also, I see her as having enough quietly savvy instincts to pick up that Peter is hiding things, and that he is in danger. Because he is. There's injuries he can't explain, he's often hiding that he's upset, worried, afraid without explanation.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Another FF team would need a numberless name like "Fantastic Force" or "Future Foundation".
    Yup, I've suggested as much at the FF appreciation threads. We also have the Fantastix.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

I haven’t read this issue, so I consider you’re right when you are saying that Aunt May overreacted.

Now, is it in character or not? What is interesting is showing imperfect and realistic characters who want their share of love and attention, isn’t it? Wasn’t Gwen partial too in her judgement? Didn’t she want more attention from Peter?
    I'll say she was biased since she'll later worry about Peter in a similar way after her father dies.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I guess you're right. It is unhealthy to be worrying about your last living relative after your husband was killed in a home invasion. (I'm both serious and joking when I say this.)

The thing that I loved about the Ultimate Spider-Man comics is that it showed that Aunt May is actually having a hard time with the tragedies that seemingly follow her. People often talk about how Aunt May is Peter's last living relative, but it feels like they forget that Peter is Aunt May's last living relative as well. It's something that you take for granted because you see things from the perspective of Peter, the main protagonist.
    May's feelings were certainly justified, but her actions were less so.

May in Ultimate Spider-Man was great, and what happened to her during the Miles transition was heartbreaking.

Yeah, definitely in character for both of them, and it was nice that they reconciled while both of them admitted fault. I still like Aunt May, but in that moment, I liked Gwen Stacy more.

I don't see why. If you really wanted to go that route, then all of these teams could exist at once.
    It's the same situation with the Sinister Six/Sinister Seven.

I actually prefer Betty’s Red She-Hulk to her Red Harpy look, finding the latter to be visually unappealing.

I think that's sort of the point-Bennet's IH largely focuses on body horror-the Hulk transformations for instance, are not shown as the usual Bruce goes big and green, but as him often melting, shedding, or even being turned inside-out, or horrible injuries. The last issue alone Hulk lost his arm twice, and re-grew it around Thor's head!
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You're joking, right?
    You'd be surprised. A number of posters over on the Spidey threads want to see May written out. Not killed, mind you. But have her go live elsewhere.

To be honest, she hasn't really been a presence in the books for a long-time now. The last prominent showing was the Mister Negative arc by Spencer. Not sure why it is a issue. Unless they feel her being there inhibits Peter's growth somewhat.