Page 176 of 181 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2711
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Morrison’s X-Men ruined the X-Men for me. There was no longer anything special about being an “X-Man” if everyone is considered one. It used to be a big deal. Unfortunately that run changed the books so much that it still persisted until Krakoa, which is a similar huge change that was fun at first but is now starting to make me hope for simpler times.
    Heh... that's a silly complaint since Morrison only had 6 X-Men in the cast, 7 if you count Xavier (Cyclops,.Beast, Wolverine, Jean, Emma and Xorn/Magneto). The others were students or other mutants that weren't part of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Heh... that's a silly complaint since Morrison only had 6 X-Men in the cast, 7 if you count Xavier (Cyclops,.Beast, Wolverine, Jean, Emma and Xorn/Magneto). The others were students or other mutants that weren't part of the team.
    Core cast, sure, but there were a crap ton of students (the movie influenced this, and I realize it makes sense for a school to have students, but I liked it better before) and almost everyone who was ever on an X-team were on call and considered “X-Men”. It was considered a big deal when Cannonball “graduated” to the X-men (even though it seemed to erase any development he had as leader of X-Force).

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Comics used to have larger than life characters in bright bold colors that popped from the pages, but now they look like regular joes in costumes and bad lighting.
    Great definition. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I don't get why people say Greg Land's art is terrible. Does he use the same faces and poses a lot? Sure. Does he trace his art from some... "ahem" unorthadox sources? I guess so. However to me these are problems on the creative/professional side. As a consumer I think his art is ok. Pretty even as long as it doesn't clash with the tone of the story. I take him over Rob Liefeld any day. Or maybe I have lower standards than most, I don't know.
    His characters occasionally have some odd expressions, however, he doesn't bug me as much as he does other people. I find his art pretty enough. I'd never skip a book just because he is the artist.

Morrison’s X-Men ruined the X-Men for me. There was no longer anything special about being an “X-Man” if everyone is considered one. It used to be a big deal. Unfortunately that run changed the books so much that it still persisted until Krakoa, which is a similar huge change that was fun at first but is now starting to make me hope for simpler times.
    For me, personally, Morrison was the beggining of the end of my interesst in the X-franchise, which culminated years later with Schism. Ever since, I've barely glanced a few x-books and alwyas found mysely unintrested.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    "Shipping" is weird and people take it way too seriously - like scarily so.
    LOL. First time I read this, I thought of "Comics Shipping Date", not "Relationship Shipping", and I was like, "Why is shipping wierd, and why wouldn't people take it seriously?" That said, I agree with your statement.

Peace

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOL. First time I read this, I thought of "Comics Shipping Date", not "Relationship Shipping", and I was like, "Why is shipping wierd, and why wouldn't people take it seriously?" That said, I agree with your statement.

Peace
    LMAO, why Wednesdays!? Why not Sundays!?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    "Shipping" is weird and people take it way too seriously - like scarily so.

Social Media input shouldn't be allowed in an artistic endeavor whatsoever.

Marvel has had no long term plan since Secret Wars.
    Can pretty much agree with everything.
    Last edited by Steroid; 04-24-2023 at 07:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

After they killed off Jean, the books were trash. Out of all the characters he chose to kill, he chose Jean and they used her, and elements of her, as a device for subpar stories.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Core cast, sure, but there were a crap ton of students (the movie influenced this, and I realize it makes sense for a school to have students, but I liked it better before) and almost everyone who was ever on an X-team were on call and considered “X-Men”. It was considered a big deal when Cannonball “graduated” to the X-men (even though it seemed to erase any development he had as leader of X-Force).
    The students weren't considered X-Men (this trend really begun when Fraction was writing), and the school having dozens (hundreds) of students was mandated by editorial.

Ultimate Member

The students weren't considered X-Men (this trend really begun when Fraction was writing), and the school having dozens (hundreds) of students was mandated by editorial.
    That all said, I'm totally invested in some of those name-dropped nobodies. Contact / Frida Rivera, of the owl-ish glasses with psychometry? Dave Finn / Keratin who could grow sheets of keratin over his body to form armor or claws? Dana Holmes / Polymer, who could generate a polymer substance that could be a frictionless liquid or a plastic-y film? (Best girlfriend ever, able to make condoms and lube!) Ahem.

And all those other intriguing characters. The telepath Mentat / Robert Zepheniah (not enough black psychics!). And Slick, able to craft psychic illusions so potent that his own girlfriend couldn't tell he was a dwarf! (Although, yes, that bit was cringe.) And I just wanted to know what Imp / Anders Nobel could do? Did he create many little imps to bedevil foes? Did he shrink and turn into a little demon-y figure? Was he just a prankster telekinetic?

But no, we just get acres of unwanted attention on Glob and Quentin, two of the, IMO, least interesting from that generation. The cynic in me thinks that all we are going to ever see from that generation is those two chuckleheads, and the occasional drive-by mention of Beak or Angel Salvadore or Ugly John.

For me, personally, Morrison was the beggining of the end of my interesst in the X-franchise, which culminated years later with Schism. Ever since, I've barely glanced a few x-books and alwyas found mysely unintrested.
    Pretty much this.

I meant pretty much everyone who was on an X-Team prior to that were fair game to be considered X-Men… (New Mutants/X-Force, X-Factor, Excalibur, Generation X)

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

A friend of mine told me that Jim Shooter thought that Magneto was going to be part of the Avengers and dating Wasp before Claremount steered things in his direction. But I can't help but think that an Avengers series with Magento on it would have been awesome, even if it doesn't make much sense for the time period of SW.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    After they killed off Jean, the books were trash. Out of all the characters he chose to kill, he chose Jean and they used her, and elements of her, as a device for subpar stories.
    Thats because basically all Morrison was doing was his spin on Claremont stories. Sentinials, the Sh'iar, evil Magneto, killing Jean. The only really original thing Morrison did was create Sublime.

Jessica Drew and Peter Parker should have nothing to do with each other. Jessica should not be a part of the Spider-Man family whatsoever. She excels so much more as a character when she is not connected to Spider-Man, and all the recent stories of her being part of SpiderVerse and everything else has made her boring in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    A friend of mine told me that Jim Shooter thought that Magneto was going to be part of the Avengers and dating Wasp before Claremount steered things in his direction. But I can't help but think that an Avengers series with Magento on it would have been awesome, even if it doesn't make much sense for the time period of SW.
    This would have been really neat - I wasn't into the Wasp/Magneto pairing in SW at all but I did like that Magneto was put with the heroes and wasn't on Doom's side for the whole thing.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Jessica Drew and Peter Parker should have nothing to do with each other. Jessica should not be a part of the Spider-Man family whatsoever. She excels so much more as a character when she is not connected to Spider-Man, and all the recent stories of her being part of SpiderVerse and everything else has made her boring in my eyes.
    Agreed. Julia Carpenter was also great not having anything to do with Spider-Man and his universe. As "derivative" heroes (heroines), IMHO, they stood out on their own two feet,

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-05-2023 at 07:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Thats because basically all Morrison was doing was his spin on Claremont stories. Sentinials, the Sh'iar, evil Magneto, killing Jean. The only really original thing Morrison did was create Sublime.
    And Sublime, to me, felt like his version of John Byrne's 'That Which Abides' story from the Avengers, only, IMO, dragged on way too long.

Agreed. Julia Carpenter was also great not having anything to do with Spider-Man and his universe. As "derivative" heroes (heroines), IMHO, they stood out on their own two feet,

Peace

Peace
    Yeah. They ruined my favorite Spider-Woman.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark