Page 7 of 181 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I did love Norman Osborn as an Avengers villain. It was just when I was getting into comics, and it was grand.
    I agree here. My unpopular opinions:

1. Bendis's Avengers run was actually pretty good issue by issue.
    2. Civil War was a pretty good event.
    3. A lot of "classic" Marvel runs are not aging as well as people think they are.
    4. Age of Apocalypse is the best X-Men story ever.
    5. The DnA run is considered brilliant because it ended when it did (See the Annihilators follow ups).
    6. Read together, the events from Avengers Disassembled to Avengers Vs. Xmen make for a pretty epic story arc.

Monica rambeau is complete underrated in terms of character potential and powerlevels

Storm underused on the x-men. Nothing is being done with her exept character assasination and the best thing for her would be to break away from the x-men. She is popular enough to be everywhere but nobody does nothing with Her exept make her a jerk and job her to make other characters look cool.

The x-men seems like it has been the cyclops, magneto, wolverine show and I hate that.

Wolverine should stay dead for at least 15 years

Gilliens young avengers confused me and I don't understand it's popularity

Schism sucked but if they have to do it again is love to see them do it again but this time it's Storm vs Cyclops and it's more of a they disagree and its a frenemy type deal.

I think silk is a really cool character along with Sam Alexander

Ms. Marvel is so good that I buy all the issues and the trades. They should keep her in only her book. No teams or events for her. It works so well.

I think Sam Alexander is pretty cool

Mighty Avengers is an underrated team.

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

Avengers Movie was good. The comic isn't very good. (well I don't read it, but I tried Hickmans first couple issues.)
    Rick Remender is a brilliant writer
    X-Men forum fans are a different breed of readers
    I really enjoy the X-Books aside from X-Men and Spider-man and The X-Men
    Guardians of The Galaxy was a good movie.
    Thor movies weren't great
    Axis was a good event
    Remender has done good things with Rouge
    Tom Taylor is the best writer nobody knows - Superior Iron Man is great.
    Schism was great.
    Bendis is a good writer
    The Ultimate line should've ended years ago
    X-Men shouldn't be united
    Storm is a better leader than Cyclops
    Cyclops is better as a revolutionary and should remain as such

Extraordinary Member

- The Ultimate Universe hasn't been relevant since Ultimates 2.
    - Mark Millar's only real good Marvel comic is Marvel Knights Spider-man
    - Civil War is one of the better big event storylines because it actually changed things in interesting ways, sadly those changes were done away with way too quickly.
    - Peter Parker is better off being married to Mary Jane Watson and ever since OMD he's been regressed and lost tons of character development and never really recovered.
    - Avengers Arena is a piece of crap that pointlessly wasted interesting new characters and ruined Arcade for no other reason than stupid shock value.
    - Bendis is completely wrong for Guardians of the Galaxy. The man cannot write cosmic adventures to save his life.
    - Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery is the best thing Marvel has published in the last 15 years.
    - Spider-man shouldn't be an Avenger.
    - Rogue was more fun when she had Ms. Marvel's powers alongside her own absorbing powers.
    - Luke Cage is kinda overrated.
    - Squirrel Girl is a one joke character and the joke was overused five years ago.

Spectacular Member superiorcrisis's Avatar

OK, here it goes:

Crossover events are good (except for World War Hulk and Axis).
    The characters that have appeared the most should be killed off.
    Superior Spider-Man was the best comic I have ever read (keep in mind I have never read Watchmen, DKR, Maus or Born Again).
    Matt Fraction's Hawkeye was written totally out of character.
    Thanos and Venom are boring characters.
    The 1970s comics were the worst.
    Comics should be proud of their history, no matter how convoluted and unlike the movies they are.
    Even if a story is unpopular, like the Clone Saga or Sins Past, it is still part of the character's history, so it should still be referenced. And it should only be treated as a joke if the character would really see it as a joke (Iron Man's nose? Yes. Clone Saga? No).
    I love change, if it’s permanent (no “illusion of change”).

And the granddaddy of them all...

I enjoyed the Clone Saga.
    What I'm buying: Justice League, Batman, Amazing Spider-Man and a bunch of back issues.

What I'm reading: Ultimate Spider-Man (2000)

Don't tell Willie

"Y'all." - Kevin Malone

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Wow a lot I agree with, but here goes nothing.

* Kathryn Immonen needs to be put on the main Avengers book soon, she's -dare I say it -a far more fun writer then Hickman.

* MC2 universe should have been allowed to keep going.

* JIM, while a good story, wasn't that great of a tale

* Namor shouldn't be sacrificed for T'Challa

* Shuri shouldn't have been sacrificed for T'challa

*Gravity deserves another chance at a book.

*Patriot made a better character then America Chavez

* New YA while okay wasn't as good as the first run

* Quicksliver and Wanda should retain their past.

* Atlantis and Namor deserve a book

* After all the crap that he's pulled, Stephen Strange should be removed from being Sorcer Supreme and it should go back to Brother Voodoo.

* The Illuminati should never be allowed to exist again unless under direct supervision.

*Rom Space Knight should be brought back into Marvel.

* Legacy Characters should be allowed to come about.

* X-men need to focus more on bridging Human/mutant policies and stop the in fighting. It's dull!

* Grant Morrison's run on the X-men was the reason I stopped reading them.

* Al Ewing writes a better Avenger book then what we have right now, he's also a better Loki writer.

• I do not like Phil Coulson and Nick Fury Jr./Ultimate Fury
    • Avengers Arena should have been for actual Avengers/adult heroes
    • I would rather have X-Villains (old or new) kill the main X-Men rather then have them fight each other or becoming "militant" (thats what X-Force is for.)
    • Azazel is a great villain for the X-Men, I like Polaris dealing with...bipolar disorder (get it she deals with magnets)
    • Bendis should have only written for Ultimate books, but I do like Jessica Jones and Victoria Hand
    • The Inhumans are recieving too much attention
    • Squirrel Girl is Awesome
    • Heroes should be in only one team
    • Storm and Black Panther are a great couple
    • I like Jubilee better as a vampire
    Last edited by Mutant God; 03-03-2015 at 05:23 PM.

The death of Wolverine was a dumb idea that only a few people on the cbr forums wanted. Both Hickman's Avengers books are not any good. The Uncanny X-men books did not get bad until Fraction's run of Uncanny. Unless you actually read a book you should not complain about it. Thor is his name not the name his of power. Grant Morrison's New X-men is not any good. Writers should top using ideas from the indies on superhero titles.

I like the inhumans, but I think they should have stayed in space ruling the kree instead of coming back to earth.

The first spider-gwen issue wasn't that bad, it just couldn't live up to all of it's hype.

Volume 2 of Young Avengers was alright, but it wasn't the greatest comic ever like the internet said it was.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Scott Lang is really boring.
    Marvel's recent tampering with the Maximoff twins' origin is going to ruin them more than Disassembled and Decimation did.
    The Inhumans are interesting in their own right, but they aren't a sufficient X-Men replacement.
    Medusa is a better ruler than Black Bolt.

Got some more.

*The only important thing Mar-Vell ever did was die.

*Crystal is very unimportant in the overall Inhumans storyline. Most of the time, all she seems to focus on is how she is dealing with her current boyfriend/husband, but then the relationship sours and she loses any character development she may have gotten from it.

*Mystique is getting to be very annoying with her ability to somehow manipulate everybody and everything in the world and ALWAYS get away with it somehow. What she needs is to take a crushing defeat that she absolutely can't anticipate and realize that, to quote Princess Leia "the more you tighten your grip, the more everything will slip from your fingers".

*Coat-Of-Arms of the Young Masters of Evil deserves a lot better than to be stuck as a generic hired thug, as her original character of being the struggling artist trying to expose the stupidity in superheroics was an interesting take on a motive. She needs to break away from her "friends" and go solo for a while.

*Any Spider-Woman/Girl in 616 not named Jessica Drew is considered expendable to Marvel, and it shows in how mishandled they've been over the years.

*Supervillains are useless in the MU. These days, most of them exist to either be sympathetic anti-heroes or plot-devices designed to trigger internal conflicts among heroes. The few remaining "traditional" supervillains are stuck as D-grade cannon fodder.
    Last edited by Myetche; 03-03-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Here come my unpopular opinions (and beware, they're really unpopular!):

I hate everything that's written by Bendis. His characterization sucks. And "Bendis speak" (google it) sucks. (I haven't read Alias, but I heard that's an exception, and it's a really good book).

Hickman is one of the best comic book writers. I love everything he has written at Marvel so far, his plots, his stories, and he brings a hard(ish) sci-fi vibe to the MU that is rarely seen in comics these days, and very much appreciated. Though I agree with his detractors that he shouldn't be a permament Avengers writer because of his particular style, which is much best suited for Fantastic Four (He's the Fantastic Four writer). But I'm really enjoying his current Avengers/NA run, I loved his whole incursions storyline, and I trust Secret Wars will be a success.

I love the concept of the Illuminati. And I don't think they're villains. I actually root for them.

Schism sucks.

AvX sucks.

Cyclops is a better leader of the X-Men than Wolverine. Wolverine is cooler as "The Lancer".

I want Charles Xavier back. I know people consider him "boring" but without him the X-Men are not the same.

BTW, end the fucking schism. Unite the X-Men and have them fight for peaceful coexistance between humans and mutants, and less mutants fighting each other.

Wolverine shouldn't be on the Avengers (or in 7 books at once, for that matter). Make him a "reserve member" at most.

Spider-Man either shouldn't be an Avenger, or should be a "reserve member", at least until he gets some stability in his personal life. I mean, in his main books he's always bailing out on things because he's always busy due to being Spider-Man.. the last thing he needs is MORE stuff to keep him busy from having a healthy personal and social life, and not lose his job. Besides, he always seems so chill and relaxed on Avengers books as opposed to his solo series.. maybe there are two Spideys swinging through NYC? An unaccounted clone escaped from the clone saga?

And since we're talking about spidey.. enough with "The Parker Luck". It's charm wore out decades ago. Let him have a stable job, a stable relationship.

M-Day sucks.

Blue Marvel and Spectrum should be on the main Avengers team, and have a much larger presence on the MU in general.

Blue Marvel is much more interesting than Hyperion.

There should be only one, maybe two Avengers books. Tops.

The same goes for the X-Men. Way too many X-Titles.

I love Carol as Captain Marvel, I love her new costume (more than the bathing suit), but her book doesn't interest me, which is a pity, since I'm glad Marvel is pushing for more diversity, female and minority heroes.

Same goes for Kamala Khan (the first run of her book was pretty good, but when they introduced the chicken-inventor, I stopped reading).

I like the new "Thor", though I think she needs more characterization.

BTW, "Thor" is a name, not a title.

Robbie Reyes is way underrated. I love All-New Ghost Rider.

Avengers Arena really sucked.

Teen hero comic books tend to suck. I'm not opposed to the concept of teen superheroes, I just haven't read good comics about them.

Cyclops is not a villain. How come Jean Grey (the original Phoenix) is still considered a hero (and has a school named after her) after burning an entire solar system but cyke kills ONE person (possesed by the Phoenix Force, it's not like he was in full control of his mind and body) and suddenly he's worse than Hitler?

While I like the concept of the Inhumans, their current books aren't good, IMO.

No more heroes in 4 or 5 books at once.

Deadpool isn't funny, or particularly interesting.

Ditto Squirrel Girl. (She's an old, tired meme at this point).

EDIT: Pardon my sub-par english. It's not my native language.
    Last edited by SidheKnight; 03-03-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Incredible Member

Deadpool is not funny to anyone who is actually sane.

He's a wisecracking killer for hire. There is no heroism in the character at all.

Marvel would be better off just eliminating the character forever.

BANNED

These are not very controversial opinions. I also agree with many of these so I wonder how unpopular they could possibly be.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I love these threads. They spark such interesting discussions. Here are a few of mine.

Tony Stark is better and more effective as Superior
    Beast is a complete hypocrite for condemning Cyclops for his inadvertent murder of Xavier, yet he willingly participates in the Illuminati
    Captain Marvel is better with longer hair and her old costume
    Nick Fury Jr. is superior to Nick Fury Sr.
    Wolverine does not belong or fit in with the Avengers
    The Avengers deserved to lose Avengers vs. X-men

And finally...
    Peter Parker is not very likable and he's a very inept, irresponsible, selfish hero

I can probably make some of the This is one that's actually fairly recent, but it's been brewing for a while now. Ever since Brand New Day, I find myself liking Peter Parker less and less. He's one of those characters that's just permanently regressive. It's not just because of his luck. He never seems to make any progress in his life or with his efforts as Spider-Man. His villains always seem to get stronger. His personal life never results in anything meaningful. Any time he ever accomplishes something, he seems doomed to mess it up.same criticisms towards Batman, but Batman has a clearly defined set of morals and he sticks to them. Peter just wings it. He's supposed to be so smart, but he never actually does anything to help the villains he fights or contain them. He never lets anyone else risk their necks for him, even when they want to. He tries to shoulder responsibility in a way that isn't responsible. It's downright self-deprecating.

I know this is unpopular, but it is my opinion and I understand it's not shared by many.
    Count me as one of the people who do share your opinion. It hasn't made me stop loving Peter Parker/Spider-Man as a character or an idea. It's made me pissed off that Marvel seems determined to stick him in a regressive rut where he's not allowed to succeed in anything without having it yanked out from under his feet and written like an ineffectual idealist who keeps failing because he doesn't have it in him to suck it up and harden himself to the realities of the increasingly morally ambiguous if not downright amoral atmosphere of the general Marvel Universe as demonstrated by his cohorts' more prominent or dominant story beats. What Marvel seems to not understand is that while Peter/Spidey was relatable as the guy who struggled in both identities, the point was to see him make it through whatever obstacles he faced by sheer force of the unique combination of intelligence, determination, resolve, and moral fiber that he was known for under his better writers. Alas, Marvel has lost sight of that, and because Marvel has lost sight of what makes him and the rest of its characters who they are, we're doomed to stories that make mockeries of those characters, and that's what I dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Got some more.

*The only important thing Mar-Vell ever did was die.

*Crystal is very unimportant in the overall Inhumans storyline. Most of the time, all she seems to focus on is how she is dealing with her current boyfriend/husband, but then the relationship sours and she loses any character development she may have gotten from it.

*Mystique is getting to be very annoying with her ability to somehow manipulate everybody and everything in the world and ALWAYS get away with it somehow. What she needs is to take a crushing defeat that she absolutely can't anticipate and realize that, to quote Princess Leia "the more you tighten your grip, the more everything will slip from your fingers".

*Coat-Of-Arms of the Young Masters of Evil deserves a lot better than to be stuck as a generic hired thug, as her original character of being the struggling artist trying to expose the stupidity in superheroics was an interesting take on a motive. She needs to break away from her "friends" and go solo for a while.

*Any Spider-Woman/Girl in 616 not named Jessica Drew is considered expendable to Marvel, and it shows in how mishandled they've been over the years.
    Agreed. See Mattie Franklin's death in Grim Hunt, which went completely unacknowledged afterwards by anyone who wasn't Peter Parker (in a dream sequence permeated with guilt and self-loathing over everyone he's failed to save), including J. Jonah Jameson, the man who actually raised her for a while in her series. Also, see Julia Carpenter getting put in a coma just before the Superior Spider-Man saga and then having no role whatsoever in Spider-Verse, which promised us "Every. Single. One," except to suddenly wake up from said coma in the epilogue issue, long past the point she could've been pivotal to anything.

As for my own unpopular/controversial opinions, I don't hate the Red Hulk. I thought it was beautifully ironic for General Ross to be so consumed by his hatred for the Hulk that he would willingly have himself turned into the same kind of "monster" in order to beat him, and him rampaging around beating up superheroes made perfect sense, given that he'd probably be someone who resented superheroes as self-righteous renegades withholding their powers from the benefit of the country out of sheer arrogance and self-importance. I also thought a lot could've been made of him being forced on the run by those who saw him as a menace, just like he did to the original Hulk, Bruce Banner.

Another one --- I don't hate Hope Summers, either. Sure, there's plenty of wasted potential, but overall, I don't hate her, and I'm looking forward to what X-Force might look like under her leadership instead of Cable's.

Third, because I am a Spider-Man diehard until the day I actually die --- Silk isn't that bad. The origin itself isn't entirely implausible --- spiders are quick little mothers --- and the main problem with her is that she's been given too little room to actually grow as a character and hyped too hard and fast until her series started. The same could be said of Miles Morales over in Ultimate Spider-Man, but that would also be at the feet of Brian Michael Bendis's penchant for decompression. Oh, and keeping with Spider-Man, I hope the next writer to use Cloak and Dagger doesn't automatically switch them back to their usual power-sets; I think it'd be pretty interesting seeing them walk in each other's shoes for a long while.

Fourth, I have no problems with the more "practical" costume redesigns for female superheroes that seem to be all the rage these days. They still look pretty good, and given the conventions of comic book artistry, the outfits will still be drawn plenty tight. All the same, as a man, I've gotta say that if T&A was the only reason you came to read a comic, you should ask yourself what you're reading comics for.
    The spider is always on the hunt.