Page 76 of 181 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 2711
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    BI have doubts concerning how "controversial" or "unpopular" these opinions are, but to hell with it:

Has anyone else lost a sizable chunk of interest in ANAD Avengers since Kubert left? I thought the title had a lot of potential before that happened. After I read the third issue I was totally on board, thinking it had the ball rolling to be right up there with the general high quality of Invincible IM. Goes to show what losing an artist can do, really cool story but I feel like I got cheated into a different landscape. Kubert would have done those most recent issues so much better it's just ridiculous.
    I don't think it's all that controversial -- I felt the same way when Coipel left the X-Men book after three issues, and to a lesser extent when Alphona left Ms. Marvel.

Personally, I think they should keep the premiere artist on for at least six issues or so -- preferably a year really -- while the book finds its tone and audience. Alphona was key for the success of The Runaways (and most likely Ms. Marvel as well), just as Opena was key for success of the X-Force, Immonen was key to the success of All-New X-Men, etc. But I understand how hard it can be to draw a quality comic every month, and why different artists are used as "subs" for certain arcs (such as on X-Force when artists like Tocchini and Noto took over from Opena).

Fortunately we still get people like Noto on a title like Black Widow for an extended period of time, but the 'bait and switch' tactic still can be an issue with a lot of titles, especially when premiere artists like Coipel (and Kubert) are initially on art duties.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I don't think it's all that controversial -- I felt the same way when Coipel left the X-Men book after three issues, and to a lesser extent when Alphona left Ms. Marvel.

I think they should keep the premiere artist on for at least six issues or so -- preferably a year really -- while the book finds its tone and audience.
    Kubert leaving after three issues...whose idea was that? It was really turning into something great imo. For some reason it makes it worse that the covers since have been interesting, only to descend back into baffling "whatever" once confronted with the markedly inferior art inside. Though the story is enough to keep me interested, ANADA is a title I doubt I'll be renewing next year. Epic fail on something that could have been terrific (it's WAID for cryn' out loud!).

DC has been guilty of this as well, or switching artists mid comic. I'm old, and I'd rather be that so I can remember the great classic runs of Byrne, Starlin, Colan, Kirby, Perez...
    Last edited by Götterdämmerung; 03-06-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Invincible Member

I like Asrar's art

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    I have doubts concerning how "controversial" or "unpopular" these opinions are, but to hell with it:

Has anyone else lost a sizable chunk of interest in ANAD Avengers since Kubert left? I thought the title had a lot of potential before that happened. After I read the third issue I was totally on board, thinking it had the ball rolling to be right up there with the general high quality of Invincible IM. Goes to show what losing an artist can do, really cool story but I felt like I got cheated into a different landscape. Kubert would have done those most recent issues so much better it's just ridiculous.

All of a sudden ANADA became yet another Marvel title I regretted subscribing to, along with Daredevil (godawful art, story meh), Ultimates (who are these people again?), "Spider-Man" and "Captain America" (who are those guys again?).

I honestly mean no offense to fans.
    I dropped ANAD Avengers after the second issue. For me the complete step change between Hickman's Avengers and ANAD was massive and I really disliked it. The art was good for the first couple of issues though.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I like Asrar's art
    He seems to have a lot of fans and he's definitely improving with time.

I'm pretty neutral on him, not to say he isn't a good artist but as an artist myself I tend to focus mainly on top-tier talents like Travis Charest, Sara Pichelli, and Jerome Opena and see everyone else as "good" in their own unique fashion.

Charest, Pichelli, Opena, even Immonen -- I have no problem paying $3.99 for, but I can't say the same for artists like Asrar... or even Bachalo and Ramos, who used to be some of my favorites back in the day (Shade The Changing Man and DV8).

But if you look at where Charest started and where he is now versus artists like Bachalo and Ramos... well, nothing against the latter pair, but Charest is now in an entirely different world with regards to skills, and the same goes for Pichelli. I'm too busy writing (and playing guitar) to draw as precisely as Charest but the amount of work he puts into every single image on every single page is staggering, in my opinion.

That being the case, if you're going to charge me $4-5 for a comic, then I better get my money's worth.

Attachment 33400

I almost hate posting this since all of the detail gets lost in shrinking it down for site compatibility.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-06-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

I like Asrar's art
    I prefer Mahmoud art. Fits the book far better.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I prefer Mahmoud art. Fits the book far better.
    It's the same person

Invincible Member

He seems to have a lot of fans and he's definitely improving with time.

I'm pretty neutral on him, not to say he isn't a good artist but as an artist myself I tend to focus mainly on top-tier talents like Travis Charest, Sara Pichelli, and Jerome Opena and see everyone else as "good" in their own unique fashion.

Charest, Pichelli, Opena, even Immonen -- I have no problem paying $3.99 for, but I can't say the same for artists like Asrar... or even Bachalo and Ramos, who used to be some of my favorites back in the day (Shade The Changing Man and DV8).

But if you look at where Charest started and where he is now versus artists like Bachalo and Ramos... well, nothing against the latter pair, but Charest is now in an entirely different world with regards to skills, and the same goes for Pichelli.

Regardless, if you're going to charge me $4-5 for a comic, then I better get my money's worth.

Attachment 33400

I almost hate posting this since all of the detail gets lost in shrinking it down for site compatibility.
    What's Charest been up to lately? I thought he'd pretty much left comics?

Ultimate Member

What's Charest been up to lately? I thought he'd pretty much left comics?
    He did his own thing with Spacegirl for a while but I'm not sure -- professionally, last I saw, he was doing covers for Star Wars, but I don't know what he's up to now.

luke.jpg

Probably living comfortably off his wealth, like Todd McFarlane.

http://travischarestart.com/

Edit: Selling sketchbook and commissions apparently, along with drawing the occasional cover. Surprised I haven't seen him on any of the Marvel Star Wars books yet, as that seems right up his alley.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-06-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Found some Iron Man artwork by Charest -- would love to see him on a Marvel title, even if it's just a one shot.

Again, way too much detail for such low resolution...

My controversial opinion -- Tony Stark is such a boring character that only Robert Downey Jr could make him interesting.

He's like Bruce Wayne without gravitas to me: if he wasn't a rich genius, I'm not sure what I could say positive about him.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-07-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Astonishing Member

It's the same person
    I know. I was agreeing lol

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I know. I was agreeing lol
    My bad! LOL!

BANNED

Found some Iron Man artwork by Charest -- would love to see him on a Marvel title, even if it's just a one shot.

Again, way too much detail for such low resolution...

My controversial opinion -- Tony Stark is such a boring character that only Robert Downey Jr could make him interesting.

He's like Bruce Wayne without gravitas to me: if he wasn't a rich genius, I'm not sure what I could say positive about him.
    Interesting artwork. For me, it's Stark's personality and character failings that are especially interesting to me. I also identify with him as an alcoholic. To me between Wayne and Stark, Wayne is a crybaby "doom monger" who gets really tiresome quick (in both guises), while Stark is a a self-absorbed yet charismatic genius who actually does have a heart and sympathetic weaknesses. As far as what they do as superheroes, sorry Batman the cans are way more interesting. But that's just me.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Those Charest are fabulous but does anyone know if this is partially due to today's technology in drawing tools? Not that I'm against it. I really think the artist should use all the tools available. Then on the other hand you don't want the swipes to look to obvious like with Greg Land. He's gotten better lately. Makes you appreciate artists who did it the old fashioned way like Gene Colan, Jack Kirby, Neal Adams and going back to Hal Foster.

I know some who really hate Land or Deodato. But I guess my controversial opinion would be, well you want your monthly comics don't you?

Controversial Iron Man opinion.

I HATE the idea of him having a new armor every 5-10 issues. It was a funny line in Iron Man 3 that he was up to Mk 43... but didn't make much sense and wasn't good for the comics, (though the idea had saturated comics earlier).

I remember when Iron Man armor was the absolute pinnacle of technology. He didn't have an entire armory floating around... Armor Wars showed WHY... It was a MAJOR milestone when he got a new set of armor. Even when he DID break a new set... it was usually a 'specific function' like stealth/water/space varieties... In the first 30 years... he had 7 'main' armor looks Since then?? A LOT more.

It's an interesting idea that he spends all his time in the lab upgrading... but he's also supposed to be spending all his time running a business... dating models... and occassinally actually USING the armors as a hero. Eventually it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

I liked it a lot better when there was ONE active suit, and if anything happened to it, he was screwed till he got it repaired. Now? if anything happens to mk 60.. he still has mk59 that hes' never bothered wearing yet...