Page 8 of 181 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Marvel needs to dump the rediculous infatuation with antiheroes and get back writing stories about heroes.

Flawed heroes are all fine and good. But at the end of the day, they should still be worthy of being looked up to.

Wolverine should stay dead. The Punisher should go the way of the dodo. And Deadpool should be shot into the sun and forever be forgotten.

Incredible Member

And Howard The Duck should not only get a good strong push by Marvel. But get another movie.

Hickman's Avengers run really isn't an Avengers run in the classic sense.

Magneto is one of the best anti-heroes out there.

Deadpool may be considered a joke character--but he's not funny.

M-Day was a terrible idea that stagnated the X-Men franchise.

Schism was executed in completely the wrong way. It should have been Cyclops versus Storm.

Wolverine was a terrible headmaster and team leader.

Professor X should have not been killed.

Spider-Man hasn't been interesting since his Superior phase.

Danielle Moonstar is a better character than Sam Guthrie.

Patriot should be brought back from limbo.

Rogue belongs in the X-Men.

The X-Men under Bendis and Fraction was basically a Cyclops solo with a plethora of supporting characters.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk

Diversification is beautiful even in books I hate.

Spinning off that Marvel is better off with a wide variety of tittles than any stringent focus.

Comedy titles kick the **** out of 'cosmic horror'

Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    Hickman's Avengers run really isn't an Avengers run in the classic sense.
    I love his run but this. It's a long form event comic. Folks that want a classical avengers take need to be reading Mighty Avengers or Uncanny Avengers.

For the folks complaining about Spider-Man. I think Spider-man should have become a legacy character with Miles taking over in the 616. It didn't ruin Peter growing up and getting married, but rettconning it did ruin him. The stuff Peter is pulling now stops being cool or relatable once Peter stops being a teen.

This is a fun thread

• I recently started re-watching the 90s X-Men cartoon and, cheesiness aside, it has made me realize just how much current X-Men titles don't work for me. On a related note...
    • Cyclops is a terrible revolutionary. He needs to turn the keys of the Mutant Revolution over to Magneto and go back to the rest of the X-Men. Seriously, Magneto got more done in the last issue of his solo than Cyclops did in the last two years of Uncanny X-Men.
    • Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers are the best those titles have ever been. Ever.
    • I do not understand the popularity of Gillen's Young Avengers. I also do not understand the appeal of having characters speak like they are writing posts for Facebook or Twitter.
    • Fraction's Hawkeye, while good, is seriously over-rated.
    • The X-Men franchise is a bit broken. I don't see them as heroes anymore. I find it hard to think of more than a couple of instances in the last several years where they actually fought to protect the world rather than protect themselves from the world. Some of those stories were interesting but not very heroic.
    • I think it's time to give the Inhumans a shot. *See above comments about the X-Men*
    • Remender is a great writer and has done an amazing job with both Avengers characters and X-Men characters. The fallout over Havok's speech was insanely overblown.

And last but not least...I like events. I still get excited about them. I liked AvX (thought it was balanced too), I liked Axis, and I am really excited about Secret Wars. I don't fear massive changes, I welcome them and I'm excited to see what happens next.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unfriendly View Post
    That's awesome. I'm actually starting X-Factor with Louise Simonson's run so it'll be a while before I get to David's, and it's nice to have that to look forward to. Thank you!
    Peter David's writing in X-Factor is so good, I don't think setting would have mattered. X-Factor changes completely when Louise Simonson leaves the book, so much that it's
    like another series entirely. You could read Peter David's run starting in volume 1 all the way to the last issue and not spoil yourself on anything that came before. It's just a lot
    better, honestly. You're doing yourself a disservice if you feel like you have to start at #1. Two different books.

Gaea should have not been made Thor's mother. Instead her Jord persona would a separate person. Most of all have him know who is real mother is from the start and know that Frigga is his stepmother.

Also erase that baby just born to Odin and Freyja its just gimmicky.

Also erase the retcon of Odin and Freyja having an arranged marriage.

Make Frigga not the daughter of Frey because she defiantly wasn't in the myths.

Rename the Enchantress from Amora to something else because why would a Norse goddess have a Latin name.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

I've thought of some more:
    Peter Parker is one of the least interesting Spider-Men (Kaine and Miguel are far more interesting).
    In the past 10 years, Luke Cage has became one of Marvel's most interesting characters.
    Bishop is a better villain than a hero.
    Hope Summers as the 'mutant messiah' built up to nothing.
    Noh-Varr should have stayed as 'The Protector' or 'Captain Marvel', and not gone back to being 'Marvel Boy'.
    And here's the big one:
    Hulkling of the Young Avengers should be the new Captain Marvel, not Carol Danvers. Or at least have Teddy and Carol both be Captain Marvel.(*hides*)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Related to that, actually: Xavier did more harm to the cause of mutants than Magneto did. Magneto laid forth a manifesto, and one could agree or disagree, but he was visibly making a statement. Xavier, by keeping his students hidden away, only emerging to fight other mutants, and then slipping back into the shadows without laying out a real case for coexistence, ensured that Magneto's view was the only one actually seen. The entire idea of the X-Men having secret identities was idiotic, and Cassandra Nova forcing them out of the shadows and into the public's eye was the absolute best thing that could have happened.

Claremont, while he did a lot of amazing stories, did a crap job at the minority metaphor aspect.
    ^^
    I'm so glad someone else thinks this too. If you're a minority group, running a secret paramilitary school is not a good way to ingratiate yourself to your host community.

My points:
    Related to the above, I think Inhumans is a better concept than mutants
    Also,
    Peter Parker is the worst Spiderman\woman\ham
    Kate Bishop is the best Hawkeye
    Age of Ultron is underrated
    Digital comics are a godsend

Bendis has been essential in keeping Marvel afloat for the past 15 years. His events created a lot of buzz and his series are accessible for new readers. The first half of Vol. 1 of his New Avengers is one of my favorite series of all time. The only reason he's writing Guardians of the Galaxy is that his name alone is sufficient to sell the book. The breakout at the Raft is a much better origin for the team than "Loki played a magical prank."

I don't mind decompression.

Marvel will diminish the relevance of Secret Wars by releasing a new set of #1s in 2-3 years.

Steve Rogers should remain Top Cop with Bucky remaining Captain America. Whedon's X-Men is second only to Claremont. I enjoyed Waypool. Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man has been hit and miss and I have to applaud him for Superior Spider-Man even though I didn't like it.

One More Day was a necessary evil to undo the damage that was done to the character when Peter unmasked on national television during Civil War. That was a stupid idea then and remains the same to this day.

Diversity is important but the current way of introducing new versions of established heroes isn't the right way to do it. It reduces the new characters to being either a genderswap or of different ethnicity than their predecessors (there are exceptions, such as Carol Danvers and Sam Wilson) while a backlog of established diverse characters with distinct personalities and power sets, such as Monica Rambeau or Anya Corazón, is either shoved to the sideline or neglected altogether. Ten years ago, nobody would have guessed that Luke Cage and the original Spider-Woman would ever become important again, but Bendis pushed for the two of them.

Marvel's animation department is in a terrible state. We haven't had a consistently good Marvel cartoon since the first season of Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the DTVs are atrociously bad. Sony should have retained the Spider-Man animation rights instead of the rights to film adaptations. We would have had five or more seasons of Spectacular Spider-Man and 1-2 Spidey MCU movies by now. I'd gladly make a deal with Mephisto to wipe the ASM movies from existence in exchange for 65+ episodes of SSM.

Marvel Studios has written the book on 21st century comic book movies. The good ones are some of the best the genre has to offer (Avengers, The Winter Soldier, GotG) and the bad ones are average to mediocre popcorn movies. The MCU won't be whole until they have the rights to all characters. I've been hooked on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. since the first episode. We will never have a truly satisfactory Spider-Man feature film. Instead of adjusting continuity to fit the MCU, Marvel should create a MCU imprint ŕ la Marvel Adventures.

Miles Morales and Ultimate Peter Parker are interchangeable. Ultimate All-New Marvel Now has been botched to an extent by assigning subpar artists to two of the books. Which is regrettable because Fialkov has started to fix several issues of the Ultimate Universe and Fiffe got to write the team book I wanted to see happen for a very long time. Ultimate Jessica Drew remains one of the most underdeveloped characters in the Ultimate Universe.
    Last edited by Alastor; 03-04-2015 at 06:49 AM.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Marvel took a wonderful universe with many distinct flavors, tossed it in a pot, and mixed up up into a bland, tasteless gruel.

BANNED

Hmm. I'm pretty sure this one will be controversial: Characters such as Rogue should have their sexuality clearly defined and never be depicted contrary to their sexuality just because a writer gets off on it. That said, Rogue should be strictly heterosexual. I'm pretty sure Marvel would catch hell if they made Billy or Teddy kiss a girl. The same should apply to Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_Custer View Post
    Teen heroes really are a joke. I even felt this way as a teen reading them. I always thought "stfu and let the adults handle it"
    They've just become so cliche. The stories aren't even bad, it's just the stereotypical teenager characterization and constant references to social media and pop culture get so annoying. I wonder if writers have considered that one day, those references will go right over readers' heads?

Anyways, back to the firing squad.

- X-Men: First Class and DoFP were both better than Avengers
    - Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Quicksilver will never top Evan Peters's Quicksilver no matter what
    - Blue Marvel isn't interesting outside the one mini he had years ago
    - Wolverine gets more heat than he deserves
    - OMD was necessary, just very poorly done
    - Spider-man hasn't had any character development since Back in Black
    - Mighty Avengers stopped being interesting the second Blade left
    - the Namor/Black Panther feud is the best thing to happen to either character in a long time
    - Bendis doesn't get enough criticism for his handling of female characters
    - Daredevil hasn't been good since Brubaker's run
    - Mark Millar is an absolutely terrible Marvel writer
    - Romantic relationships rarely add anything
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 03-04-2015 at 07:56 AM.

I'm adding a couple more

- Typhoid Mary and Spiral could support a solo title if a talented writer took an interest on them. They are wonderful villains and should remain as such (a la Magneto), but there's also a tragic side to them that makes then inherently sympathetic characters who could be much bigger in the MU. I was super excited when it was announced Spiral would be part of Humphries Uncanny X-Force and Mary on Wood's X-Men, but both runs of those titles were abysmally bad for the most part and these particular characters were criminally misused.
    - Licensing deals are the biggest villains regarding MU. Besides the movies and what that meant to the comics side of FF and XMen, it's the reason we can't have a Master of Kung-Fu, Micronauts or Rom reprints.
    - The next big character to be introduced in GoG2 is the real Gamora. That green chick in the first movie was totally an impostor.
    - Race, gender and sexual orientation of characters and creators are becoming more relevant than the actual quality of character stories and the work they do (the creators).
    Last edited by Fifolet; 03-04-2015 at 08:08 AM.