Page 86 of 181 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2702
    Spectacular Member

I'm not sure how "controversial" this is, because I don't personally know any comic book fans that like her, but in spite of all the supposed buzz about this "fan-favorite" character, I couldn't care less bout Ms. America Chavez.

NO, it has nothing to do with her ethnicity or sexual orientation. I've read everything from that Young Avengers run to A-force to the Ultimates (which is one of the better books aimed solely at cleaning up another writers mess out there) and I just don't get the buzz around this fairly tepid and bland character.

Anybody agree? Disagree? Can anyone enlighten me on the character and what people like about her?

Heroes should stop fighting each other.. just have them go on short mini adventurers with each other or something

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    I'm not sure how "controversial" this is, because I don't personally know any comic book fans that like her, but in spite of all the supposed buzz about this "fan-favorite" character, I couldn't care less bout Ms. America Chavez.

NO, it has nothing to do with her ethnicity or sexual orientation. I've read everything from that Young Avengers run to A-force to the Ultimates (which is one of the better books aimed solely at cleaning up another writers mess out there) and I just don't get the buzz around this fairly tepid and bland character.

Anybody agree? Disagree? Can anyone enlighten me on the character and what people like about her?
    Personally speaking I love MAC. I admit I have a soft spot for any strong woman who kicks butt, but America also has a great wit and moral code that I love. if she thinks something is wrong, she makes it know to others and does whatever she can to stop it. I really love her power set too, both the idea of her being a traveler of the multiverse and also how she can use it in battle. The best example of this was in the CWII 'The Ultimates' tie-in. For those who did not read it, MAC decided she had enough of Carols excuses and attacked. Spectrum tried to use her light powers and enter her brain via her eyes and shut her down without any violence. What she didn't realize was that MAC could actually open portals in her eyes, and thus trapped Monica in another dimension.

Each to there own though!
    Last edited by Valamist; 01-09-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Personally speaking I love MAC. I admit I have a soft spot for any strong woman who kicks butt, but America also has a great wit and moral code that I love. if she thinks something is wrong, she makes it know to others and does whatever she can to stop it. I really love her power set too, both the idea of her being a traveler of the multiverse and also how she can use it in battle. The best example of this was in the CWII 'The Ultimates' tie-in. For those who did not read it, MAC decided she had enough of Carols excuses and attacked. Spectrum tried to use her light powers and enter her brain via her eyes and shut her down without any violence. What she didn't realize was that MAC could actually open portals in her eyes, and thus trapped Monica in another dimension.

Each to there own though!
    I'll grant you that she has a good power set. It's not even that I think she's a bad character, she just doesn't personally stand out to me. I typically "get" the hype on the Internet for characters of her mold, just not her. I'm sure once the right person comes along and writes her it will finally click with me.

Spectacular Member

Controversial opinion #2: try as I must, I feel nothing but apathy for post-Deconnick Carol Danvers (I'll tie another one in by saying Deconnick's run was good, but overrated IMO). With a comic book company that's been responsible for some of the best female heroes in comics, I just don't buy her as the preeminent super-heroine of Marvel(if not for her power-set alone,this would almost be improbable). In general, however, I do like the character and she's been in alot of good stories over the course of her history.

Quote Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
    Heroes should stop fighting each other.. just have them go on short mini adventurers with each other or something
    This thread is about unpopular/controversial opinions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post

I don't like her either. Everytime I read her it feels like the writer is always "Look at Ms. America! She's so badass and cool! she punches things and doesn't care what anyone has to say" but then just leaves it at that. I need a little bit more character than "badass chick"

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I think the Black Panther book has been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they barely care about their own; as shown several times in Avengers history. Demolition Man was living in the sewer. crazy Pym. drunken Stark. knocked up Ms.Marvel. raped Tigra.
    D-Man was originally living in the sewers because he was trying to help the homeless living there.

Nobody knew that Pym was crazy until he went...crazy. Then they did try to help him. The West Coast Avengers took him in despite what he had done.

People tried to help drunk Stark as well and he wasn't interested in help at the time.

Ms. Marvel yes that was messed up and bad writing.

I'm not familiar with the Tigra situation.

There's probably not enough politics in comics, rather than too little.

Which is to say, not that comics should be shouting views I agree with from the rooftops, but there are insufficient intelligent, politically charged stories which feature characters with an interesting point of view, rather than characters who recite the author's moral briefly at the climax of the tale

That said, I'm not going to read Occupy Avengers, because "Occupy" is out-of-date as a title, and it features Clint Barton, of all people.

To avoid/limit needless controversy all comic book writers and artists should remove themselves from Twitter.

And so should everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    D-Man was originally living in the sewers because he was trying to help the homeless living there.

Nobody knew that Pym was crazy until he went...crazy. Then they did try to help him. The West Coast Avengers took him in despite what he had done.

People tried to help drunk Stark as well and he wasn't interested in help at the time.

Ms. Marvel yes that was messed up and bad writing.

I'm not familiar with the Tigra situation.
    I believe he's referring to when Tigra was tied up and beaten by Jigsaw and the Hood and it was recorded on tape. There was no rape though.

Now I really don't want to say this but..... are there too many girls in marvel right now? I really loved it when they launched Ms Marvel, the new wasp looked amazing, Squirrel girl got her own book! But as it went on Marvel was pushing more and more women onto the scene, and about time to some may say, but comics are generally bought by males and marvel comics are kind of struggling right now whereas DC seem to be slowly getting their act together
    So that and I feel marvel are kind of skipping over current issues that are happening in the US and the world right now, something it used to do fairly well which drew me more to Marvel than DC so their missing that bite that I liked
    anyways onto All New wasp#1: enjoyed it but it was all girls,girls,girls and what is new wasp going to do? Form G.I.R.L.S I'm all for femininsm and love it when female characters get a kick butt moment ( songbird in burning down the house was just epic)
    But do we really need or want the sheer amount of female superheroes we're getting right now?
    New Avengers, all new all different avengers,Ms Marvel,Unbeatable Squirrel Girl,Silk,squadron supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Dmouse View Post
    Now I really don't want to say this but..... are there too many girls in marvel right now? I really loved it when they launched Ms Marvel, the new wasp looked amazing, Squirrel girl got her own book! But as it went on Marvel was pushing more and more women onto the scene, and about time to some may say, but comics are generally bought by males and marvel comics are kind of struggling right now whereas DC seem to be slowly getting their act together
    So that and I feel marvel are kind of skipping over current issues that are happening in the US and the world right now, something it used to do fairly well which drew me more to Marvel than DC so their missing that bite that I liked
    anyways onto All New wasp#1: enjoyed it but it was all girls,girls,girls and what is new wasp going to do? Form G.I.R.L.S I'm all for femininsm and love it when female characters get a kick butt moment ( songbird in burning down the house was just epic)
    But do we really need or want the sheer amount of female superheroes we're getting right now?
    November 2016

Marvel's 38.08% dollar share and 39.46% unit share easily topped DC's 26.17% dollar share and 31.30% unit share.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

This still seems to be controversial but I think becoming a mom was the best thing to happen to Jessica Drew.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast