Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default Thread Drift: The Fantastic Four movie and director Josh Trank's comment on Susan Storm's character

On the negative side, Trident brought this to my attention -- if you need another reason NOT to go see the new FF movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Goodness....today has not been a good day for Sue Storm. First Josh Trank, the FF Reboot director, calls Sue Storm the "Slutty Secretary."

Yep, here's a link for those who hand't seen it yet: http://collider.com/fantastic-four-details-josh-trank/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    On the negative side, Trident brought this to my attention -- if you need another reason NOT to go see the new FF movie.
    I read that interview link and had to shake my head at Trank's out of left field assesement that Sue was a slutty secretary in the MU as compared to being a scientist in other versions I presume he is comparing the Ultimate version to Stan and Jack's version that was created in the 1961. Why do I think that Mark Millar being the consultant on the film had a hand in this ridiculous comparison? He also says that Ben is smaller than Reed. Well, that's because you cast him that way. Ben was a college football all-star in the comics. Bell looks too frail for that sport so they switched him to baseball it appears.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-01-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I read that interview link and had to shake my head at Trank's out of left field assesement that Sue was a slutty secretary in the MU as compared to be a scientist. I presume he is comparing the Ultimate version to Stan and Jack's version that was created in the 1961. Why do I think that Mark Millar being the consultant on the film had a hand in this ridiculous comparison? He also says that Ben is smaller than Reed. Well, that's because you cast him that way. Ben was a college football all-star in the comics. Bell looks too frail for that sport so they switched him to baseball it appears.
    I agree.

The guys is pretty much wrong on all counts on his 'assessment' of Sue. Sue as a scientist has not _always_ been around. It was created in the relatively recent Ultimate Universe. Nor is the non-scientist version of Sue lacking dignity or integrity. His comments were awful and ignorant.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree.

The guys is pretty much wrong on all counts on his 'assessment' of Sue. Sue as a scientist has not _always_ been around. It was created in the relatively recent Ultimate Universe. Nor is the non-scientist version of Sue lacking dignity or integrity. His comments were awful and ignorant.
    Maybe that's why he told the cast not to read the comics. Apparently he hasn't eitiher.

Maybe that's why he told the cast not to read the comics. Apparently he hasn't eitiher.
    LOL! He's reading the Ultimate FF comics that Millar probably gave him. ;p

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Did the man really call Sue " slutty "? The heck is wrong with him?
    I make love, you make me sick.

Y'know, as much as I wasn't fond of the direction they were going for the FF film, making it seem more like a realistic hard Sci-Fi film that's just using the concepts and mythos of the FF for name-recognition, that interview pretty much kills what little interest I still had left for it. The director's comments regarding Sue..uh, that's just so wrong, ill-informed and distasteful, and seeing that coming from a person directing the movie is pretty sad .

And while I'm certainly not his biggest fan, you'd at least think Millar would know better about the FF, though I wouldn't be shocked if he gave Trank a skewed perspective of the classic FF and just had him read the Ultimate version .

And those movie suits look terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    Oh your right. How in the name Rabum Alal did I get Medusa and Sue mixed up? But yeah a lot of typing from me but point being always look at whats in front of you first. I think about the whole Superman lawsuit a lot when stuff like this comes up. So many people thought he was as good as gone because of legal issues. The worst I remember seeing was a website published an article saying Stan Lee was behind all this. Another would be Spider-man in the MCU. Look back just to last November or sooner. Did anyone think Spider-man would be incorporated with Marvel? Of course not. Because it was " fact " that their was legal tape involved and websites said it could never change so it must be so. Yet things change and here we are now, only how many months later and the truth is a completely different thing. And this isn't to say don't worry. If you go to the LCS and there isn't a single comic with an F4 character on it? Sure, then worry. Else carry an umbrella but don't count your chickens either.
    I think part of the reason why Spidey is going to be in the MCU has to do with the financial situation at Sony. The Raimi Spider-Man blockbuster days are long gone and their latest Spider-Man launch has not been as successful as they hoped, with the second film underperforming the first. That does not bode well for that franchise since Raimi's Spider-Man films were a huge success for them. As the article linked notes, they really don't have the franchises that the other top 5 film studios have. Bond films are probably the other most well known films from Sony but the deal with the Broccoli family gives Sony only a percentage of the box office on those. Fans were hoping that the Fox FF would fail to the extent that Fox might loosen its grip on the Fantastic Four and maybe even allow Marvel to produce the movie for them.

The rumor about Sony and Marvel Studios has been batted around online for a while but that is one case where rumor became fact when Sony's emails got hacked by North Korea, *ahem* allegedly over "The Interview". It is a longshot but the situation with Sony proves that it is not completely out of the question. Obviously there is some kind of chasm between Fox and Marvel Studios, the nature of which we can only speculate.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-02-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Spectacular Member

I think part of the reason why Spidey is going to be in the MCU has to do with the financial situation at Sony. The Raimi Spider-Man blockbuster days are long gone and their latest Spider-Man launch has not been as successful as they hoped, with the second film underperforming the first. That does not bode well for that franchise since Raimi's Spider-Man films were a huge success for them. As the article linked notes, they really don't have the franchises that the other top 5 film studios have. Bond films are probably the other most well known films from Sony but the deal with the Broccoli family gives Sony only a percentage of the box office on those. Fans were hoping that the Fox FF would fail to the extent that Fox might loosen its grip on the Fantastic Four and maybe even allow Marvel to produce the movie for them.

The rumor about Sony and Marvel Studios has been batted around online for a while but that is one case where rumor became fact when Sony's emails got hacked by North Korea, *ahem* allegedly over "The Interview". It is a longshot but the situation with Sony proves that it is not completely out of the question. Obviously there is some kind of chasm between Fox and Marvel Studios, the nature of which we can only speculate.
    Even James Bond is not owned by Sony. Besides Brocolli, the UA part of MGM has The Bond rights ( has had them right from when Dr. No came out). Sony simply distributes the movies, and if MGM gets sold ( Warner Brothers?), Sony loses those rights ( sort of what happened to Fox with Star Wars). Another problem for Sony is their biggest assets ( Will Smith and Adam Sandler are either not there anymore (Sandler), or whose movies are not what they used to be ( Smith), or both ( again Sandler)). The reality is there is not enough movie content out there anymore ( that is why Netflix and Starz are now doing more and more original series, and why basically Showtime has few new movies ( maybe one or two a month)). I honestly believe within 5 years, the movie part of Sony will be sold and Disney to get TASM ( and their film library) would make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    Even James Bond is not owned by Sony. Besides Brocolli, the UA part of MGM has The Bond rights ( has had them right from when Dr. No came out). Sony simply distributes the movies, and if MGM gets sold ( Warner Brothers?), Sony loses those rights ( sort of what happened to Fox with Star Wars). Another problem for Sony is their biggest assets ( Will Smith and Adam Sandler are either not there anymore (Sandler), or whose movies are not what they used to be ( Smith), or both ( again Sandler)). The reality is there is not enough movie content out there anymore ( that is why Netflix and Starz are now doing more and more original series, and why basically Showtime has few new movies ( maybe one or two a month)). I honestly believe within 5 years, the movie part of Sony will be sold and Disney to get TASM ( and their film library) would make a lot of sense.
    I wouldn't doubt it either and they did hire ex-Fox exec Tom Rothman. I'm not sure that's enough to solve all their problems.

@Iron Maiden: No one needs to be told about this. Spider-man is going to be in the MCU because of a recent deal between Marvel/Disney and Sony. That's been front page news for a month. That has nothing to do with the sales of Fantastic 4 comics over the decades nor concern that Marvel may be trying sabotage their own F4 comic line.

@Iron Maiden: No one needs to be told about this. Spider-man is going to be in the MCU because of a recent deal between Marvel/Disney and Sony. That's been front page news for a month. That has nothing to do with the sales of Fantastic 4 comics over the decades nor concern that Marvel may be trying sabotage their own F4 comic line.
    Which is why I said in my post that this is the reason why Fantastic Four fans hoping that Fox's FF movie is a failure and they will give up on it.

.... Fans were hoping that the Fox FF would fail to the extent that Fox might loosen its grip on the Fantastic Four and maybe even allow Marvel to produce the movie for them.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-02-2015 at 10:27 AM.

I think you missed the point of everything I've been saying entirely.

BANNED

I'm so excited for the new FF movie. It looks amazing!

I think you missed the point of everything I've been saying entirely.
    How so? I was just pointing out that the financial situation at Fox would have to be similar to the one at Sony for any kind of deal to be worked out, besides the fact that the relationship between Sony and Marvel is apparently of a different nature than that of Marvel and Fox. Your post sounded a bit hopeful of a deal to be worked out in a similar manner so I just provided details as to some of the differences. *shrugs*