Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Default What is your favourite musical genre?

I apologize if there is already a thread on this (I'm not trying to stake claim), but on the Celine Dion thread, most people are saying that they prefer other kinds of music, so I was wondering, what is the CBR Community's favourite genre of music? Do you like rock? Classical? Pop? And why do you like this genre? And what are your favourite singers/bands from that genre?

Personally, I have a very eclectic taste in music. I like pretty much everything except Country and Heavy Metal. My favourite genres include: Indie Rock, Electric/Trap, 80s Rock, 90s Rap, and even some Doo-Wop music.
    My favourite bands/artists include: Coldplay, Maroon 5, Queen, and Labrinth.

Let's find out which genre is the most popular.

Heavy metal. Favorite artists include Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, KISS, Danzig, Rainbow, Type O Negative, Prong, Exodus, Anthrax, Nevermore, Iced Earth, Fear Factory, Kamelot and so on.

BANNED

'80s synth-poppy/New Wave/New Romantic stuff. Anything from Kraftwerk to Depeche Mode to the Smiths to thousands of one-hit wonders. Too young to experience it as anything other than a very small child, but love it today. Unfortunately, know nobody else in my personal life who enjoys just about any of it so it's strictly an earbuds play.

Metal in its various forms. I don't really do favorites, but currently I'm listening to a lot of:

Red Fang
    Mastodon
    High on Fire
    Orange Goblin
    Thou
    Yob
    Slipknot
    Slayer
    Black Label Society
    Nonpoint
    System of a Down
    Chevelle
    Metallica
    Acid Bath
    Minsk
    Black Tusk

I grew up on this stuff. It gets my blood pumping and focuses my mind in ways no other genre does. I was in a metal band in high school and college. I just feel it.
    Last edited by Goggindowner; 03-03-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Looks like there are a lot of metal fans on here. I love metal too but I really dig ambient metal. Stuff like Gris, Forteresse, Blut Aus Nord, Csejthe, that stuff. There are lot of great metal bands in Quebec, haha.

I personally like electronic/alternative stuff, like Ladytron, the Knife/Fever Ray, Goldfrapp, the Golden Filter, Phantogram, etc. But honestly I'll listen to everything.

My favorite band is an indie/alternative band called surrenderdorothy, and the lead singer, Elmo Kennedy, has his own solo stuff under the name BONES which is just brilliant IMO. So yeah I'll listen to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    '80s synth-poppy/New Wave/New Romantic stuff. Anything from Kraftwerk to Depeche Mode to the Smiths to thousands of one-hit wonders. Too young to experience it as anything other than a very small child, but love it today. Unfortunately, know nobody else in my personal life who enjoys just about any of it so it's strictly an earbuds play.
    That's crazy. I love that genre too. I'm a musician and I actually released a synthwave album in July. Very cool man.

\m/ \m/

Horns high, my metal brethren.

Korki Buchek.
    BB

A combination of rock (classic rock, hard rock, hair metal, but not heavy metal or industrial), pop, country (mostly '80s to early-2000s), '50s and '60s rock and R&B, some New Age. If I had to pick just one, though, I'd say '80s rock, since that's the music I grew up on.

A sample of favorites to give a more defined look: Bon Jovi, Trisha Yearwood, Kelly Clarkson, Brooks & Dunn, Dierks Bentley, 3 Doors Down, Duran Duran, Sara Evans, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, Genesis, Phil Collins, The Police, Sting, Martina McBride, Madonna, Lifehouse, Billy Joel, Kiss, Keith Urban, Rick Springfield, AC/DC, George Harrison, Gin Blossoms, Michael Jackson, the Beach Boys, Huey Lewis and the News, Poison, Shania Twain, Sammy Hagar, Van Halen, Laura Branigan, Reba Mcentire, Carly Simon, Vintage Trouble, Faith Hill, Sam Cooke, Clint Black, Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benatar, the Supremes, the Temptations, Tom Petty, Garth Brooks, Train and Lita Ford.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Mostly 80's hardcore punk. But I do enjoy other stuff like:

Rockabilly
    Jazz (20's, 30's, and 40's)
    Big band/Swing
    40's country
    Surf rock/Instrumental rock
    Blues
    90's gangsta rap
    Grindcore
    Death metal
    Powerviolence

As for favorites? Too many so I'll keep it short...
    Link Wray (shame most people don't know about him)
    Hasil Adkins
    Glenn Danzig
    Gene Krupa
    Johnny Cash
    and numerous punk bands
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

I am a 90's grunge guy. Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc...

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

B.O.B
    Mayday
    Tech N9ne
    Yelawolf
    White Stripes/Jack White
    Tool
    Bob Marley
    Lorde
    Led Zepplin
    Stevie Stone
    Rittz

Jazz, hip-hop, classical, hard/southern/arena/punk rock, some hardcore.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I don't really have one. I just like sound and things that move me in some way. I more gravitate to different music by the song itself. The only music that isn't my season is country, or most of it. I don't have a distaste to for it nor does it agitate me or something but I just don't feel it either. Lately my playlists have been as random as can be.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    I don't really have one. I just like sound and things that move me in some way. I more gravitate to different music by the song itself. The only music that isn't my season is country, or most of it. I don't have a distaste to for it nor does it agitate me or something but I just don't feel it either. Lately my playlists have been as random as can be.
    See, I actually have a pure and deep seeded hatred for country music. Growing up in East Texas I was surrounded by it. Now I feel physically ill every time I hear it.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Heavy Metal and "Hair Metal". Metallica, Megadeth, Accept, Saxon, WASP, Cinderella, GN'R, Ratt, Skid Row, Tesla...Morbid Angel, Cryptopsy, Obituary...Molly Hatchet, Nazareth...

Different genre logos side-by-side.
    Last edited by Marvel_Is; 03-03-2015 at 05:32 PM.