View Poll Results: THROWDOWN!! "Grim Hunt" or "Spider-Verse"?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grim Hunt!

14 58.33%
  • Spider-Verse!

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default THROWDOWN!! "Grim Hunt" vs "Spider-Verse"

Time for a good old-fashioned throwdown and this time it's between 2 storylines in which spiders are hunted! Both have their dark and violent moments and both were/are pretty divisive among fans so......let's get to it!

Which do you prefer? The "Grim Hunt" saga from ASM #634-637 or the just-completed "Spider-Verse". There's no doubt that "Spider-Verse" was far more sprawling while "Grim Hunt" was contained to just 4 parts so that could either work for it or against it, depending on your viewpoint.

Vote for which story you prefer and, as always, let us know why!

Grim Hunt was a better story.

But it brought Kraven back. I hate when characters with good last chapters to their stories are revived.

BANNED

Can we take into consideration the fact that Sasha was tearing down Spidey's life leading up to Grim Hunt?

BANNED

Both are petty, mean-spirited, overrated shock value arcs that play off nostalgia of better stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    Both are petty, mean-spirited, overrated shock value arcs that play off nostalgia of better stories.
    inregards to the blue - bull, dark and serious does not equal mean spirited, the lead up to grim hunt with the lizard eating his son qualifies as such, but grim hunt itself not really & spider verse certainly not.
    inregards to the red, what better story is spider verse playing off of?, spider man the other which is the only real precursor to it, is widely irrationally hated.

I just reread Grim Hunt and still love it but because of the scope, tie ins,and craziness Spider Verse has with great issues all the way through it gets the win

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    & spider verse certainly not.
    Please. Killing off numerous Spiders, many of them who happy endings, and not really showing how many of them are distinct is not somehow mean-spirited?

[quote]inregards to the blue - bull, dark and serious does not equal mean spirited, the lead up to grim hunt with the lizard eating his son qualifies as such]quote]

It's one or the other. Make up your mind before calling my perspective, my opinion, "bull", which I assure you it is not.

I don't see how either are mean spirited. Yes both had dark moments and there were deaths to show how dangerous but I wouldn't call that mean spirited. You have to intentionally try to hurt someone to be mean spirited and I don't see that here at all

BANNED

grim hunt.

spider-verse was just a way to fuel up anger killing most of the spiders especially the unilimited, 1602 and MC2 versions

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    Please. Killing off numerous Spiders, many of them who happy endings, and not really showing how many of them are distinct is not somehow mean-spirited?

It's one or the other. Make up your mind before calling my perspective, my opinion, "bull", which I assure you it is not.
    no mean spirited means in bad taste basically, this was war, people die in war, and like you said they did not have time to make them distinct and so there was not much emotional attachment to them.
    barbara godron getting shot was mean spirited it is also a eternal iconic moment in comic book history, mean spirited is a tone description not a artistic flaw.

its not one or the other, the lead up arcs might have had 1 mean spirited scene and incident in it that does not make the entire book much less the separate grim hunt book mean spirited.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by evangelionofasgard View Post
    inregards to the red, what better story is spider verse playing off of?, spider man the other which is the only real precursor to it, is widely irrationally hated.
    "Coming Home", which is highly acclaimed, Spider-Verse contains virtually none of what made the villain or the protagonist stand out

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    You have to intentionally try to hurt someone to be mean spirited and I don't see that here at all
    Eight years of dealing with trolling creators leaves very doubt in my mind about the intentions of these events
    Last edited by R.K.Z; 03-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.

I think both stories would have benefitted from better, more meaningful payoffs (other than an undead Kraven returning) but think Spider-Verse was the better overall thrill-ride.

I went with Grim Hunt.

It was a satisfying payoff to an year long mega-arc, pushed Spider-Man to his limits and had better villains. I'd give it an A or A- whereas Spider-Verse gets a B+ or B.

It is interesting how similar these stories are. Both killed off multiple spider-based characters, with the death of a fan-favorite being particularly upsetting. Both featured resurrections of villains, and the legacy of Ezekiel (who played a role but did not return.) Both seeded spinoff titles about young women with spider-powers. And both ended with Kaine dying and being reborn.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

The only real gripes I had with Grim Hunt was A. I thought it was pretty absurd that a family of hunters couldn't distinguish the pretty obvious size difference between Peter & Kaine which lead to Kaine's death & B. It doesn't really seem like there was ever a solid plan in place with what to do with Kraven other then his story arc in Scarlet Spider....Other then those two things I liked the event well enough.

Spider-Verse I haven't read so I can't really comment on.

Oofff tough choice. The amazing Gauntlet lead-ins give the edge to Grim Hunt for me. Really enjoyed both stories though.