Page 190 of 269 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 4021

So in a comicvine article they mention that Ms. Jenkins is in London prepping for the movie that will start shooting this autumn.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/sh...t/1100-153081/

Anyone hear anything else regarding the new movie?
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Ultimate Member

I think that a magazine article mentioned that WW would be filming this fall (which has been reported/rumored for months now anyway) in London.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aula_Magna View Post
    He's been kicking the arse of every member of the suicide squad lol which is pretty impressive given how powerful Enchantress is
    And the Suicide Squad is mostly made of barely more than human meta's if they aren't just some smuck with a gimmick. As for the Enchantress, in comics she is powerful, in the movie, probably not so much. And even so, she isn't any more durable than Harley is, probably less so because she's not a maniac.

I'm not saying Gal Gadot should stuff her face with winstrol and outbulk Henry Cavill. Wonder Woman is lean but fit, her arms are chiseled, her legs are strong, she's an athlete. Her body should say - I worked hard to get to where I am and I'm proud of my body. That's inspiring and a far more meaningful character than a pretty little princess given beauty by Aphrodite
    The big question for that however is: Why should she have the Incredible Hulk's 0% fat frame (which looked terrible), when she and all of her sisters are empowered through magic to be stronger than a hundred men?

Aside that, when we watch sports like say the 100m dash, we all look at the competitors at the line-up and they all tend to look completely normal. And then they have the race and we see the slow-motion images where they suddenly look like weight lifters because there we can see their muscles actually working.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I think that a magazine article mentioned that WW would be filming this fall (which has been reported/rumored for months now anyway) in London.
    empire magazine ais the source

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    empire magazine ais the source
    Oh...I knew that, I was just testing you
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Mighty Member

I'm body shaming Gal Gadot? like when I point out that she's a svelte, beautiful pageant queen? I think Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman body shames strong powerful women because it really does send the message that strong is ugly, if I was an athlete I wouldn't feel very good about that.

You should read this
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/sp...cess.html?_r=0
    yes, you can absolutely body shame somebody for being a "svelte, beauty pageant queen". body shaming is simply a matter of comparing a person unfavorably to an idealized body type. in this case Gadot doesn't match your idealized athletic woman and their strong powerful physique. just because you're using a different standard for the ideal woman doesn't mean that you're not body shaming.

yes, I read the article. see-- world-class athletes are insecure about their bodies too. well, yeah. because modern Western cultures value an idealized version of hyper-feminized beauty that's not possible for most women to attain. however, the sort of utterly ripped pure athleticism that you're promoting is equally unattainable for most women. just like most guys will never look like Tom Cruise they will also never look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. substituting one impossible ideal for another isn't much of an improvement in my opinion.

Wonder Woman exists as a fantasy character who derives her power from magic. it's more important to cast somebody who can project the core values of the character and light up the screen. I agree that she should be an athletic character-- but that doesn't mean she has to be "ripped" or muscular. there are lots of different types of athletes-- and the ones cited in the article you linked all have large muscular arms... with plenty of bulk and muscle mass. gymnasts and dancers are athletes too-- and there's no reason to think any less of them because of it. just because Gene Kelley didn't look like Muhammed Ali doesn't mean that he was any less fit or athletic-- these two guys were both in top notch shape.

I've seen people argue that Hope Solo would have been a better choice for Wonder Woman than Gadot-- but, the thing is, with Solo's police record and history of alleged abuse-- I think she would be a terrible choice for Wonder Woman. not as awful as casting Bill Cosby as Black Panther-- but pretty bad.

and it seems like it's just an excuse for you to continue body shaming Gadot for getting the part of Wonder Woman. sure, she's got that feminine beauty thing down-- but she's not the strong powerful athletic type that you wanted for the character-- and as such, in your mind, she's a bad choice for the character. perhaps you did not INTEND for this to be turned into body shaming-- but it's not the least bit difficult for people to interpret your position as one of body shaming.

Here's this. This is the current comic book Wonder Woman, and this is Gal. She IS Wonder Woman:
    Gal Wonder Art.jpg
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 08-03-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    yes, you can absolutely body shame somebody for being a "svelte, beauty pageant queen". body shaming is simply a matter of comparing a person unfavorably to an idealized body type. in this case Gadot doesn't match your idealized athletic woman and their strong powerful physique. just because you're using a different standard for the ideal woman doesn't mean that you're not body shaming.

yes, I read the article. see-- world-class athletes are insecure about their bodies too. well, yeah. because modern Western cultures value an idealized version of hyper-feminized beauty that's not possible for most women to attain. however, the sort of utterly ripped pure athleticism that you're promoting is equally unattainable for most women. just like most guys will never look like Tom Cruise they will also never look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime. substituting one impossible ideal for another isn't much of an improvement in my opinion.

Wonder Woman exists as a fantasy character who derives her power from magic. it's more important to cast somebody who can project the core values of the character and light up the screen. I agree that she should be an athletic character-- but that doesn't mean she has to be "ripped" or muscular. there are lots of different types of athletes-- and the ones cited in the article you linked all have large muscular arms... with plenty of bulk and muscle mass. gymnasts and dancers are athletes too-- and there's no reason to think any less of them because of it. just because Gene Kelley didn't look like Muhammed Ali doesn't mean that he was any less fit or athletic-- these two guys were both in top notch shape.

I've seen people argue that Hope Solo would have been a better choice for Wonder Woman than Gadot-- but, the thing is, with Solo's police record and history of alleged abuse-- I think she would be a terrible choice for Wonder Woman. not as awful as casting Bill Cosby as Black Panther-- but pretty bad.

and it seems like it's just an excuse for you to continue body shaming Gadot for getting the part of Wonder Woman. sure, she's got that feminine beauty thing down-- but she's not the strong powerful athletic type that you wanted for the character-- and as such, in your mind, she's a bad choice for the character. perhaps you did not INTEND for this to be turned into body shaming-- but it's not the least bit difficult for people to interpret your position as one of body shaming.
    Pointing out that her physique is not quite powerful enough to pass as an amazon warrior doesn't constitute body shaming, no matter how you try to spin it, especially since I put it nicely. I didn't say anything mean about her elegant silhouette, I didn't call her "toothpick", on the contrary, I've always remarked how beautiful she is so I've neither intentionally nor unintentionally body-shamed Gal Gadot. Body-shaming is the implication that the strong, muscular frame of an Amazon warrior is too gross to be in a movie, yes, that's body shaming. Comparing female UFC fighters to the Incredible Hulk, yeah that's body shaming too.

And I feel like this indecently long reply is also a calculated attempt to shame me actually. I think you're deliberately painting me out as a body-shamer and doing it in such a copious fashion so as to substantiate the allegation though nearly all of it is preposterous and specious.
    Last edited by Aula_Magna; 08-03-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Fantastic Member

How about this; It's ridiculous when people say Gal doesn't have the physique of an amazon. This has been said over and over again by so many people and my question is always; And when have you met an actual amazon? In earliest depictions of amazons in art they tend to be presented as Rubenesque...certainly not like Rhonda Rousey. And if you think about it logically, we're talking about a race of women; while they would all be fit and athletic, they would not all be the same size and shape. And yes, I do understand what people mean by "an amazon's physique", but my point is that their ideal isn't the only choice.

Maybe there was no body shaming in Gal's casting. Maybe it had nothing to do with her model shape, or that Zack thought she was hot or any of the other ridiculous things people have said. Maybe, just maybe, Gal was cast in this role and trusted with this iconic female character and trusted to be a part of this billion dollar franchise...simply because she was the best person for the job overall.

Ultimate Member

Considering that he cast Amy Adams, Diane Lane, and Antje Traue in MOS (all of whom are talented actresses as well as "outside the box" choices), then I doubt that "sex appeal" was his primary motivation for casting Gal. If it were a big factor in casting for him, then he wouldn't have cast Amy and put up with all of the "she's 38, she's too old" nonsense "complaints."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Here's this. This is the current comic book Wonder Woman, and this is Gal. She IS Wonder Woman:
    Gal Wonder Art.jpg
    My god, wonder woman's movie costume is perfect

superryo

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Gal Wonder Art.jpg
    Wow she looks amazing and just like the comics. I do prefer the silver in the comics though but still very nice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    How about this; It's ridiculous when people say Gal doesn't have the physique of an amazon. This has been said over and over again by so many people and my question is always; And when have you met an actual amazon? In earliest depictions of amazons in art they tend to be presented as Rubenesque...certainly not like Rhonda Rousey. And if you think about it logically, we're talking about a race of women; while they would all be fit and athletic, they would not all be the same size and shape. And yes, I do understand what people mean by "an amazon's physique", but my point is that their ideal isn't the only choice.

Maybe there was no body shaming in Gal's casting. Maybe it had nothing to do with her model shape, or that Zack thought she was hot or any of the other ridiculous things people have said. Maybe, just maybe, Gal was cast in this role and trusted with this iconic female character and trusted to be a part of this billion dollar franchise...simply because she was the best person for the job overall.
    Those ancient depictions of amazons are not a very good point of reference as it was not unusual to use male models in depictions of women since it was inappropriate for women to undress in front of men. The "Wounded Amazon" statues were probably modeled after men, they're literally men with boobs.

The Amazons are imagined in the public mind as powerfully-built women that can fight toe to toe with men and an Amazon would definitely have to be in peak physical shape and have quite a bit of upper body strength to fight on foot with sword and shield.

I'm certain that they didn't cast Gal Gadot just because she's hot but they didn't build her up afterwards either whereas I think 10 more pounds of muscle would've helped Wonder Woman stand out from the bunch.

Fantastic Member

Those ancient depictions of amazons are not a very good point of reference as it was not unusual to use male models in depictions of women since it was inappropriate for women to undress in front of men. The "Wounded Amazon" statues were probably modeled after men, they're literally men with boobs.

The Amazons are imagined in the public mind as powerfully-built women that can fight toe to toe with men and an Amazon would definitely have to be in peak physical shape and have quite a bit of upper body strength to fight on foot with sword and shield.

I'm certain that they didn't cast Gal Gadot just because she's hot but they didn't build her up afterwards either whereas I think 10 more pounds of muscle would've helped Wonder Woman stand out from the bunch.
    I can see what you're saying, but they did build her up afterwards; Gal is noticeably bigger than she was before she started training, she's just not as big as you and some others might like. But she is continuing to train, so maybe in the solo Wonder Woman movie she will be closer to what some people wanted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    I can see what you're saying, but they did build her up afterwards; Gal is noticeably bigger than she was before she started training, she's just not as big as you and some others might like. But she is continuing to train, so maybe in the solo Wonder Woman movie she will be closer to what some people wanted.
    Yeah they plumped her up a little because she used to be very thin but they didn't bulk her up to the point where Wonder Woman's athleticism stands out amid characters like Lois Lane and I don't think she's gonna bulk up any further tbh. Anyway, I hope she does a good job nonetheless and that she's at least written well, if Wonder Woman comes out of the gate hurling clichés left and right à la Bekka it's gonna crush my heart really really bad lol