Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think some campy villains are just best kept for one-shots and flashbacks and brief encounters. I definitely don't want what was done to King Tut in Batman Confid for every similarly campy villain. For some villains, the extent of their real threat shouldn't be too much more.
    I do want what was done with King Tut in the Batman Confidential. It was great! I hope that can happen to Egghead and others.

Batman '66 has opened my eyes to the potential of a number of campy villains. Their threat needs to be amped up and they need redefinition for a new generation.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    See, here's where I disagree to an extent. I'd kind of be interested to see what sort of re-imagined, dark and edgy or otherwise, versions could be come up with. I mean, on the one hand, no remake will erase the original appearances, so no real harm done, and some of it might be good and could stick. If done right, hacker Egghead could be a hoot and a half. You never know until it's tried, and if it sucks just skip it. I'd like to see what crazy things would be come up with trying to update some of these guys. Most of it would be terrible, but would probably create some great dumb moments to make fun of. And again, some of it could be great.
    Yea, we disagree to some extent. I think such radical reimaginings are best left for Elseworlds (my term for other timelines, universes, etc).

As for King Tut in BConfid:
    The comic book version of King Tut is shown to be Victor Goodman, a criminal Egyptologist who targets and murders wealthy citizens, and leaves Egyptian-themed riddles, similar to the Riddle of the Sphinx. Batman teams up with the Riddler, who does not appreciate his modus operandi being stolen, and agrees to help to stop Goodman. His alter-ego is an homage to actor Victor Buono.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yea, we disagree to some extent. I think such radical reimaginings are best left for Elseworlds (my term for other timelines, universes, etc).
    New 52, characters who haven't been used in possibly decades - continuity-wise any of these characters here are in an Elseworld for all intents and purposes, a lot of them don't exist in new 52, some not since pre-crisis.

As for King Tut in BConfid:
    That's actually not too bad. Not crazy about the riddle part, but eh.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Batman '66 has opened my eyes to the potential of a number of campy villains. Their threat needs to be amped up and they need redefinition for a new generation.
    Opposite effect for me. I think we need to see more of Batman's lesser foes in their mostly old school self. They cause a little trouble in a mega arc or one shot and are taken out.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

New 52, characters who haven't been used in possibly decades - continuity-wise any of these characters here are in an Elseworld for all intents and purposes, a lot of them don't exist in new 52, some not since pre-crisis.
    Yea, unfortunately that point leads to a rather off topic discussion about how I personally hate the New 52 and don't even really acknowledge it. I just prefer them as a campy villains we see now & then. I think Batman needs uncool campy joke villains and I like them the way they are mostly. Not that I haven't appreciated and enjoyed some exceptions and such, but just talking generally.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-04-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Yea, unfortunately that point leads to a rather off topic discussion about how I personally hate the New 52 and don't even really acknowledge it. I just prefer them as a campy villains we see now & then.
    But how can you read current DC and not acknowledge it?

But how can you read current DC and not acknowledge it?
    Pretend. I don't read much DC now. And I just ignore a whole host of things. Snyder minus Zero Year I mostly acknowledge.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-04-2015 at 03:04 PM.

some update where he is now a genius black hat hacker who leaves "eggs" which are actually computer viruses and still retains his egg puns).
    Not going to lie that sounds kind of awesome. I also think he could a bit like Maxie Zeus but less on the nose about Godhood, like a political elitist who thinks he knows whats best for Gotham and everthing that happens in Gotham needs to go by him kind of like Batman looking over the town.

On the modern Big Bad discussion they could do like the show Arrow and take someone's villain and a bit more like darker like the Flash villain Murmur: "a once respected surgeon, succumbed to madness and started a killing spree to stop the voices inside his head.", "While incarcerated in Iron Heights prison, Amar cuts out his own tongue and sews his mouth shut so he will no longer be able to incriminate himself. Wearing a thin mask of his own design, Amar becomes known as Murmur."

or the Superman villain Terra-Man: "a businessman whose conscience began to bother him about the damage he was causing to the Earth's environment. He decided to save Earth and attacked enterprises which were dangerous to the environment." "is weapons now focused mainly on turning the environment against his opponents" - he could be influenced by Posion Ivy
    Last edited by Mutant God; 03-04-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Incredible Member

Jackanapes, Gorilla Boss, or Gorilla Grodd, influenced by those awesome battles on Batman: the Brave & the Bold. Everything is better with monkeys.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post

On the modern Big Bad discussion they could do like the show Arrow and take someone's villain and a bit more like darker like the Flash villain Murmur: "a once respected surgeon, succumbed to madness and started a killing spree to stop the voices inside his head.", "While incarcerated in Iron Heights prison, Amar cuts out his own tongue and sews his mouth shut so he will no longer be able to incriminate himself. Wearing a thin mask of his own design, Amar becomes known as Murmur."

or the Superman villain Terra-Man: "a businessman whose conscience began to bother him about the damage he was causing to the Earth's environment. He decided to save Earth and attacked enterprises which were dangerous to the environment." "is weapons now focused mainly on turning the environment against his opponents" - he could be influenced by Posion Ivy
    Murmur would make a better villain for Green Arrow than Flash. In fact, Green Arrow could gain 200 underused batvillains as well; it would be nice if someone updated/remembered them.

Terra-man: someone would have to do something brilliant to make this character work. I never liked this name.

A trait that has been happening too often in the New 52 is seeing Batman kick the cr@p out of about ten of his major rogues in half a page. Off the top of my head, we saw it at the end of Death of the Family, Batman vs Bane and now in Eternal. How can we be expected to read a 6 or more issue arc about a villain we've seen repeatedly taken down with barely the need for a batarang to end their threat?

For some reason, one villain I'd love to see more stories about is Sterling Silversmith. He only made about 3 appearances but the stories were great IMO

Incredible Member

Lord Death Man

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Lord Death Man
    Wasn't he in Talon just before that book ended?

BANNED

I'm about to go real, super obscure right now. Ready?

Film Freak

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatfanReborn View Post
    A trait that has been happening too often in the New 52 is seeing Batman kick the cr@p out of about ten of his major rogues in half a page. Off the top of my head, we saw it at the end of Death of the Family, Batman vs Bane and now in Eternal. How can we be expected to read a 6 or more issue arc about a villain we've seen repeatedly taken down with barely the need for a batarang to end their threat?

For some reason, one villain I'd love to see more stories about is Sterling Silversmith. He only made about 3 appearances but the stories were great IMO
    New 52 Batman is definitely Arkham Batman in a sense.