All-New Member

Default What To Read After AvX?

So I'm pretty new to comics and just finished the AvX series. I had figured (even with mixed reviews) it seemed to be one of the bigger(est?) events in recent comic history. And I have to say, I loved it. Never read any X-Men stuff and this book really helped me get into them, as I was forced to google every character I wasn't familiar with. Anyways, my question way, what would be the appropriate next book to read after? I noticed in the last couple pages, they made a reference to Caps new plan being, "uncanny". Is that a foreshadowing to the Uncanny Avengers? I've never read that either but I've seen it on the shelf. If so, would yall recommend following the avx series up with the uncanny avengers? Or is there a different book that directly follows the events of the avx series? Thanks!

Uncanny Avengers does come directly as a result of AvX: Cap decides he wants an Avengers team designed to showcase humans and mutants cooperating. And then Remender filled it with a cast that hates each other and doesn't get along in the slightest, because that's just what Remender does. I don't enjoy the series, because I find it too grimdark, too serious and miserable, as well as being a huge ball of missed opportunities.

The current volume of Uncanny X-Men, by Brian Bendis, also sprang up largely as a result of AvX. It features Cyclops, having escaped prison, laying the foundation for a revolution. I've been loving that book - there's been some fantastic character work, some fantastic new mutants (Goldballs is awesome), and the story, while very much a slow burn, has been really interesting. Plus, there's been plenty of fun to be had.

Related to Uncanny X-Men is All-New X-Men. They really are sister books. Bendis is also writing it, and it's got a fantastic artist in Stuart Immonen (one of the best in the business). It features the original X-Men, from when they were teens, brought into the present by Beast in order to remind the present Cyclops of where they started. That plan has gone poorly. It's another well-written book, with a lot of great character work, especially for the teenage Jean Grey (the star of the book). It hasn't really seemed to have much in the way of direction, which a lot of people dislike, though I think it's kind of a cool reflection of the lack of direction the original X-Men have in a time that's not their own. Still, it could definitely use more of a direction, and the book's not as good as Uncanny X-Men.

You could also read the new Ms. Marvel. It has nothing to do with AvX, it's just a really, really good book.

Yes, Uncanny Avengers would be the most direct follow up to AvX. It's litterally the fruition of the events in AvX (the 'uncanny' Wanda was referring to in the panel you mentioned).

It, for some reason, is a very divisive book though. Dyed in the wool X-fans almost unilaterally hate it, while Avengers loyalists love it. So, depending on your POV, it's either the best book going right now or the work of Satan himself.

For more X-men centric spin out of AvX, try Uncanny X-men. It follows Cyclops and his band after the fallout from AvX.

Before trying either, be sure to read 'AvX: Consequences'. It's a mini that sets up pretty much everyone for the 'Marvel NOW' era.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Yes, Uncanny Avengers would be the most direct follow up to AvX. It's litterally the fruition of the events in AvX (the 'uncanny' Wanda was referring to in the panel you mentioned).

It, for some reason, is a very divisive book though. Dyed in the wool X-fans almost unilaterally hate it, while Avengers loyalists love it. So, depending on your POV, it's either the best book going right now or the work of Satan himself.

For more X-men centric spin out of AvX, try Uncanny X-men. It follows Cyclops and his band after the fallout from AvX.

Before trying either, be sure to read 'AvX: Consequences'. It's a mini that sets up pretty much everyone for the 'Marvel NOW' era.
    Thanks for the replies! I do have to say, since I am relatively new to comics and I've always stuck to avengers and never any x men till recently, I really can't imagine reading the uncanny x men if it does follow cyclops. I've built up such a hatred towards cyclops and it might take me awhile to let it go lol.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Read Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men for the fallout.

You'll also need to read Battle of The Atom and Trial of Jean Grey.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 05-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathnerdm View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I do have to say, since I am relatively new to comics and I've always stuck to avengers and never any x men till recently, I really can't imagine reading the uncanny x men if it does follow cyclops. I've built up such a hatred towards cyclops and it might take me awhile to let it go lol.
    There's no reason to 'hate' Cyclops. He's not my favorite character, by any stretch, but he's just as heroic as anyone else in the Marvel Universe. He did the best with what he had, but fell victim to the Phoenix. His intentions were good though.

I can't personally recomend Uncanny X-men. I find it a chore to read every month, but that's more on me than the book itself. I'm just tired of Bendis' phoned in plots. There are plenty of people who are enjoying the book.

Uncanny Avengers is currently my favorite Marvel title. It features a cast of many of my favorite characters embroiled in a truly epic, old school styled comic opera. I can't possibly convey strongly enough how much I relish every issue. So f*cking good!

If you want to dabble in X-men books playing out of AvX, but aren't game for Cyclops and company, try X-men Legacy (Volume 2). It follows David - aka Legion, son of Xavier - as he tries to make sense of X-men politics following the death of his father. It was an amazing read!

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Your question is actually pretty difficult. Previously there was always one, or at most two X books, (usually Uncanny) which acted as the main story which the others spun off. That really hasn't been the case since AvX, and you'll have to navigate between about six. It's actually never been as unclear.

AvX consequences is a 5 (I think) issue mini which spins directly out of AvX. It's very well written and gives a direction for most of the main characters. I'd strongly recommend it.

After that, your best bet might be to pick which characters you're most interested in, and follow them. The X Men themselves have split into two main camps:

Cyclops, Magneto, Emma, Magik and some new students in an illegal supposedly hard line mutant revolution/school in Uncanny X Men.

Wolverine, Storm, Beast, Iceman, and most of the students in the main school, with a less revolutionary philosophy. Wolverine and the X Men is the school book with a focus on the students and a generally mad cap, zany tone.
    Amazing X-Men focuses on the teachers, and features Storm, Wolverine, Beast, Iceman, Firestar, Nightcrawler and others. It's arguably the closest thing to an old school X Man book.
    X Men has an all female cast, and is based out of the same school. Storm, Rachel Grey, Kitty, Rogue, Psylocke and Jubilee.

All New X-Men is the best selling X Book, and focuses on the brought to the future adventures of the original 5 x-Men. It's fairly new reader friendly, and has beautiful art. I'm not personally a fan of Bendis's writing, but he's undeniably popular. It's not very central to the events of the X Men as a whole.

Uncanny Avengers: it's a very dark toned book, with lots of infighting and deaths of the main team. I find it a miserable read personally, but it's quite popular. It's off in an alternate future currently and likely to be reset.

So no easy answers. I'd try a few books, (maybe Amazing, Uncanny Avengers, and All New X-Men to start) and see what you like to be honest. There's really no must have books.

Or you could go backwards and read some old ones, when things were a bit less muddled. Claremont's X Men are in the long run a must read, but a bit of an epic project. Whedon's shorter run on Astonishing X-Men is very popular amongst new readers, and has lovely art. It's a good introduction to some of the main X characters.

Cyclops is awesome. Even as a wanted fugitive leading a revolution, he's a genuinely nice guy. It's part of what I love about him.

All-New Member

After of course learning about Wanda's whole "no more mutants" thing, I looked up what book that was covered in and found it was House Of M. Would that be a good book to pick up now along with whatever book I get that follows avx? I really am curious about the story of house of m so was that a good read? Thanks again!

If you came out of AvX hating Cyclops then Uncanny Avengers is definitely the book to go with as it hates him too. It also has beautiful art and it's very popular with Avengers fans. I believe it's the best-selling Avengers book on the market.

After of course learning about Wanda's whole "no more mutants" thing, I looked up what book that was covered in and found it was House Of M. Would that be a good book to pick up now along with whatever book I get that follows avx? I really am curious about the story of house of m so was that a good read? Thanks again!
    It's very well plotted and exciting but it really does character assassinate Wanda. So your enjoyment of it might depend on how much that would bother you. Many Wanda fans are still pretty traumatized by it in the way that some Avengers fans are by Civil War and some X-Men fans are by AvX.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

On the plus side: it's got some really beautiful art. I found it confusing as an event to be honest, and the writing is so so. Some of the characterisation is off.

Essentially House of M cut down the number of mutants in the marvel universe dramatically, and changed the narrative of the x-books from a fight against persecution and for acceptance, to a desperate fight for survival when the numbers of mutants were less than 200, and they could be feasibly exterminated.

It's actually not a bad point in time to start if you want to understand why things are the way they are now. You can definitely divide the X Men books into before and after House of M. It really did change everything. I wonder will you still hate Scott as much when you've seen his circumstances.

Have you checked out Marvel Unlimited? For $10/month you get unlimited digital access to most of the Marvel books older than 6 months. It's a great way to catch up. (There are bits missing, but most of the major stuff is there.). I like it for stuff like House of M that I want to understand, but not necessarily to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Have you checked out Marvel Unlimited? For $10/month you get unlimited digital access to most of the Marvel books older than 6 months. It's a great way to catch up. (There are bits missing, but most of the major stuff is there.). I like it for stuff like House of M that I want to understand, but not necessarily to own.
    Good call! I was thinking 'poor guy, all staring down that rabbit hole'. There's a tonne of relevant material between House of M and AvX, with all sorts of tanenital plots, that s/he will want to read.

Marvel Unlimited is perfect for this! They even group stories into lists to make it easier for new readers to follow plots.

But as for House of M itself, I did enjoy it enough at the time. It was a very ambitious story, and certainly something 'new under the sun' for Marvel readers. Hindsight hasn't treated it well in my opinion, but I can't say that I didn't read every issue with baited breath when it was initially released.

OP: if you're going to read House of M, I'd suggest reading the Avengers Dissassembled first. It's a full hack job on one of my favorite Marvel characters, but it's a key element to understanding what's going on in House of M.

Something good instead.
    BB