Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

My expectations were very high honestly, and it didn't match them. While writing and art was solid I thought that pages with scientist guy after the harvest were kinda meh, would have preffered more pages with our robots. Don't get me wrong, its was good issue, but it didn't blow me away.

Does anyone have any info or insight onto the "Sony deal" for the movie rights to Descender? Or a rough idea of how many issues of the book will be completed before they start production?

It seems weird to be only an issue into the book's run to have the discussion of staying true to the comic's direction, but I've read rumblings on the subject already.

I'm curious about people's opinions.

This first issue was Fantastic, I am not an Sci-fi fan (if you can count this as sci-fi with robot and stuff) but after reading that comic I started to watch some sci-fi movie and making some more research. The art is very unique, really enjoyed the painted texture for a robot story. If you think about it it's the oposite, robots is metal, solid, technologic,futuristic, while this paint art is fluid,liquid,abstract sometime. The fact that it's the oposite makes the book much more interresting. Really enjoyed it DO RECOMMAND!
    Youtube.com/MrKevinsComics

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 37 View Post
    Does anyone have any info or insight onto the "Sony deal" for the movie rights to Descender? Or a rough idea of how many issues of the book will be completed before they start production?

It seems weird to be only an issue into the book's run to have the discussion of staying true to the comic's direction, but I've read rumblings on the subject already.

I'm curious about people's opinions.
    Here's my opinion on it the same as Wytches movie rights and Outcasts TV rights. The announcement of Wytches movie rights were announced after issue one came out and with Descender, it was before issue one. I honestly feel like it's going to be a long time before an actual Wytches movie or Descender movie comes out. Descender, if sales are good, will last a while. It's supposed to be this big long epic story. A two hour movie will have to be very different if they're planning on telling one movie. However, with all things franchises, if it's a success, then we'll see Descender movies for a while telling for the most part, the story of what the comic is telling. The same goes for Wytches, though I don't think it's supposed to last as long as Descender, but probably the same deal. If the first movie is a success, then we'll get a sequel that will probably tell in some fashion a continuing story from the comics. But again, I don't think either of these movies are going to happen for a long time if it all. Just because the movie rights to something got bought up doesn't mean it's a sure thing there will be a movie. It happens all the time for a number of reasons. Studios can't get the script right, budget concerns, they can't find the right actors, or a director etc. Ridley Scott has had the movie rights to one of my favorite sci-fi books The Forever War now for years and years and he has yet to get the movie made. It's all very common in Hollywood and the same goes for TV.....

Look how long Brian Bendis' Powers TV show has been in development hell before it got the greenlight for a full season on Sony's Playstation network. From Powers' wiki page...

Sony Pictures had optioned the series for film production in 2001.[7] In 2009, Brian Michael Bendis, creator of the comic book, confirmed plans to develop a Powers television show on FX as well as his involvement as the writer of the pilot for the show.[8] In February 2011, a greenlit pilot of the show scripted by Charles H. Eglee was announced as a co-production by Sony Pictures Television and FX Networks.[7] Charles S. Dutton became the first cast member in May 2011 when he signed on to play Captain Cross.[9] Imminent filming in Chicago within weeks was announced in June 2011.[10] The following week, Lucy Punch was cast as Deena Pilgrim.[11] Katee Sackhoff had campaigned for the part.[12] Although FX was rumored to be courting Kyle Chandler for the part of Walker,[12] the next day Jason Patric was cast in the part.[13][14] Later in June, Carly Foulkes was cast as Retro Girl and Bailee Madison was cast as Calista.[15][16]

Filming began in Chicago in early July 2011 and ended in early August.[17][18] In November 2011, FX announced that it would retool and reshoot the Powers pilot.[19] Bendis tweeted that "the reshoots are planned for January and are all about tone and clarity".[20] In April 2012, more scripts were ordered and writing continued, but reshoots and recasting were being discussed by the network.[21]

On March 19, 2014, it was announced that Powers would become the first original television series on the PlayStation Network, to stream exclusively on PlayStation consoles and potentially stream in December 2014.[22][23] On July 16, 2014, Susan Heyward, Max Fowler and Adam Godley were cast as Deena Pilgrim, Krispin Stockley and Captain Cross.[24] On August 15, 2014, Deadline.com reported that Eddie Izzard, Noah Taylor & Olesya Rulin were cast in the roles of "Big Bad" Wolfe, Johnny Royalle and Calista.[25] On August 18, 2014, Sharlto Copley was announced to star as Christian Walker and Michelle Forbes is cast as Retro Girl.[26] Mario Lopez guest stars in the pilot episode as the host of "Extra" wondering about Walker's current whereabouts.

On October 11, 2014, a trailer for Powers was premiered at New York Comic-Con.[27]
    So this then leads me to Outcast. Cinemax picked up the series and announced a 10 episode order, but so far nothing else has been announced about it other than it's leads Patrick Fugit (Kyle Barnes) and Philip Glenister (Reverend Anderson). This show has promise and because it'll probably start soon (the obvious answer would be sometime in October around Halloween), the show will probably keep a decent pace with the comic series since we're only 6 issues in and the 7th issue coming out later this month. There will probably be some changes, but I can see this keeping the same tone and spirit as the comic series. I'm annoyed I won't be able to watch this since I don't have Cinemax, but I'll catch it on video.

So in the end of this long winded post, I wouldn't worry too much about a Descender movie keeping the comics true direction because it probably won't happen for a long time.

On the plus side, it looks like Image bumped up the release date for issue #2 from the overly long wait of April 29th to April 8th. Yaaaaay! It was either a mistake by Image in the solicitations or they saw how well received issue one was and bumped up the date to meet demand. Either way, it's a win for fans!
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 03-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.

All-New Member

Wasn't as impressed. Spent the money to essentially read everything I was told in a press release months ago. I could quite easily have skipped this issue and be none the worse off for it going into #2. Suppose that's admirable for those jumping on later but not a good sign for a monthly pickup. It's just not a substantial enough read for me to keep up with this monthly. I appreciate the lower price and extra pages though. Oh and no complaints about the artwork. There was some lovely stuff in there.

Consider this a trade-wait.

Picked this up yesterday during an impromptu visit to my LCS... which I enjoy doing from time to time. The art was good. The story was good. But I wouldn't say I was blown away like a lot of reviewers and posters seem to have been. It's cool sci-fi.... something I'm already reading a lot of. I'll stick around for the first arc to see the creative team flex their muscles a little bit and expand on the story. They've certainly earned that much.

I finally got around to reading this. I was pretty excited about it given how many good things I've heard and how much I love Dustin Nguyen's art. I have to say, for me, I wasn't let down. Sure, there wasn't a lot of action or anything, but they're setting things up but it was done in such a way that keeps me interested in finding out what happens next and wasn't just a huge wall of exposition-y text.

Dustin Nguyen's art is gorgeous and I can't wait to see what happens next. Also, I'm already in love with Bandit :3
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I finally got around to reading this. I was pretty excited about it given how many good things I've heard and how much I love Dustin Nguyen's art. I have to say, for me, I wasn't let down. Sure, there wasn't a lot of action or anything, but they're setting things up but it was done in such a way that keeps me interested in finding out what happens next and wasn't just a huge wall of exposition-y text.

Dustin Nguyen's art is gorgeous and I can't wait to see what happens next. Also, I'm already in love with Bandit :3
    Yea. Read this a couple times before really examining the extra art in the back of the comic. Where they show some of Bandits functions etc. Can't wait for issue #2. Love the spielbergian whimsicial feel of this story. It is a little darker and desolate than most Spielberg though.

Read this again last night. First time through, I thought it was solid but may have let all the hype get in the way of just enjoying it. after reading it again, I can confidently say it'll be on my pull until it ends.