Not a bad first issue but darn was it wordy! It's clearly a character driven story over the more action oriented Star Wars comics Marvel is publishing. I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.

Overall Waid writes a rather good issue that sets up the purpose of the title. It’s a bit surprising that she's’ being denigrated to a princess that should be protected in a locked chamber considering over in Star Wars she’s running around with Han and Luke on rebel missions, but it makes a lot of sense if you think about where her character was at in the first film. I like this direction mostly because it’s a compelling tact. She was always a hardened character that did what she wanted, but if you think about how she went from princess to rebel between the films there must have been some growing pains.

spoilers:
The most interesting thing to me about this title is that it is set right after A New Hope at the ceremony that closed the film. That puts it a few months (or years?) before Darth Vader and Star Wars, while those two series seem to be closely tied together.

Leia quickly learns in this issue that they don't want her to leave the company of an armed guard as the Empire is looking to kill her. She of course doesn't want to sit around and do nothing as a search party goes out to find a new base.

Meanwhile an X-Wing pilot named Evaan is overheard by Leia talking smack about her being a stuck up princess. Later Leia confronts her and after some crisscross talking (and we find out Evaan studied under Leia's mother) Leia decides she will escape the base with Evaan to find the remaining Alderaan refugees.

They fly off and Luke chases them down to prevent them from jumping into hyperspace. Evaan evades them cleverly and they jump heading to Naboo.
end of spoilers

What'd you guys think?