Default Princess Leia #1 Spoilers/Discussion

Not a bad first issue but darn was it wordy! It's clearly a character driven story over the more action oriented Star Wars comics Marvel is publishing. I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.

Overall Waid writes a rather good issue that sets up the purpose of the title. It’s a bit surprising that she's’ being denigrated to a princess that should be protected in a locked chamber considering over in Star Wars she’s running around with Han and Luke on rebel missions, but it makes a lot of sense if you think about where her character was at in the first film. I like this direction mostly because it’s a compelling tact. She was always a hardened character that did what she wanted, but if you think about how she went from princess to rebel between the films there must have been some growing pains.

spoilers:
    The most interesting thing to me about this title is that it is set right after A New Hope at the ceremony that closed the film. That puts it a few months (or years?) before Darth Vader and Star Wars, while those two series seem to be closely tied together.

Leia quickly learns in this issue that they don't want her to leave the company of an armed guard as the Empire is looking to kill her. She of course doesn't want to sit around and do nothing as a search party goes out to find a new base.

Meanwhile an X-Wing pilot named Evaan is overheard by Leia talking smack about her being a stuck up princess. Later Leia confronts her and after some crisscross talking (and we find out Evaan studied under Leia's mother) Leia decides she will escape the base with Evaan to find the remaining Alderaan refugees.

They fly off and Luke chases them down to prevent them from jumping into hyperspace. Evaan evades them cleverly and they jump heading to Naboo.
    end of spoilers

What'd you guys think?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Not a bad first issue but darn was it wordy! It's clearly a character driven story over the more action oriented Star Wars comics Marvel is publishing. I reviewed it with pictures here if anyone is interested.

Overall Waid writes a rather good issue that sets up the purpose of the title. It’s a bit surprising that she's’ being denigrated to a princess that should be protected in a locked chamber considering over in Star Wars she’s running around with Han and Luke on rebel missions, but it makes a lot of sense if you think about where her character was at in the first film.
    It's a 5(?) issue mini, so I think we can safely place it before Star Wars #1 - as you say, it makes sense for where she was in the movie, so will bridge the gap between there and where her character is in SW #1.
    As for the issue, I really liked it. Marvel's hit all the right buttons across their Star Wars comics so far & this was no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    It's a 5(?) issue mini, so I think we can safely place it before Star Wars #1 - as you say, it makes sense for where she was in the movie, so will bridge the gap between there and where her character is in SW #1.
    As for the issue, I really liked it. Marvel's hit all the right buttons across their Star Wars comics so far & this was no exception.
    I was surprised it wasn't tied into the other series myself.

Marvel has done an excellent job with its new Star Wars line thus far. Star Wars #1 and Darth Vader #1 set the bar very high. In that sense, this issue had a lot to live up to. I won't say it failed, but I don't think it was quite as spectacular.

I really did enjoy this issue. I thought it was well-done. It told an important part of Leia's story. In A New Hope, she was a damsel that needed rescuing. But in the Empire Strikes Back, she became a rebel soldier that fought alongside Luke and Han. This issue offered some insight into that turning point. It felt like a fitting complement to this part of the Star Wars mythos, putting Leia on the path that would eventually take her to the forests of Endor. It fits nicely into the same mythos as the other two books. I just don't think it had nearly as much going on as those other books. It didn't have the same level of drama or action. And while I liked this new character, Evaan, she didn't really do anything to set her apart. But overall, it was still a good issue that highlights some of Leia's best qualities. I did a full review of this issue on my blog. If anyone is interested and if it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I thought it was good. I might be wrong but I think the chronology for the recent SW comics are:

Leia-Darth Vader-Star Wars.

But for the issue itself it was pretty good. Art was decent. Leia's got a mission that makes sense given her character (going to save her remaining people) though I have this feeling her grief over her planet's demise coming at least 3 or 4 issues later. Or maybe saved at the end?

Though 1 nitpick was how Luke was portrayed at the start. I dunno maybe it was just me but he seemed...off.

Also why are the troops calling her an ice queen? She doesn't seem even remotely cold.

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    It's a 5(?) issue mini,
    I hadn't realised that. What about the main title and Star Wars? Are they continuous or minis as well?

Quote Originally Posted by McFly76 View Post
    I hadn't realised that. What about the main title and Star Wars? Are they continuous or minis as well?
    It makes sense to do that with this type of story since it's not taking place at the same time. I bet they'll do this with a variety of mini's. Maybe including Boba Fett?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The main Star Wars title is an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The main Star Wars title is an ongoing.
    Cheers. In some ways I'd be just as happy if the Vader one was a mini. I don't think he should be over used!

Cheers. In some ways I'd be just as happy if the Vader one was a mini. I don't think he should be over used!
    Totally agree with you there. He's best as a character that haunts you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Also why are the troops calling her an ice queen? She doesn't seem even remotely cold.
    We usually see her interacting with Luke or Han. Also being a senator must have been a paranoid existence, so her coldness is understandable.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Just read all the Star Wars #1s...

And Princess Lea is the best of them by a country parsec. Very cool, and in character. Looking forward to the next one! (It's already in the pile waiting to be read.)

BANNED

We really don't know how good she is because we barely see it. I hope we will see a lot of diplomatic talky stuff with her in comics or books.