Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    If it works on other types of love, then why does she need to pretend to love Kyle?

Manipulating the rings with pretend love seems kind of iffy too, because I thought the whole point of the "Emotional" spectrum is that the rings are fueled by certain concepts. I mean does that mean that purple rings can be fueled by fake love too?

Then again, I always thought the idea of female-exclusive love lanterns to be a stupid idea to begin with.
    Fatality was full of fake love for John. Worked just fine. If you are void of love the rings automatically fills that hole. I think the ring is just forcing her to love the person closest to her atm, because of her underlining desire to still want to use the ring. If she were hanging around with a child it would probably duplicate the feeling for a mother's love, but hanging around a kid or brother isn't going to give her the kind of adventure she wants.
    -______
    |____.._|
    -.(-.O-.)
    ..____¯|
    -¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    If it works on other types of love, then why does she need to pretend to love Kyle?

Manipulating the rings with pretend love seems kind of iffy too, because I thought the whole point of the "Emotional" spectrum is that the rings are fueled by certain concepts. I mean does that mean that purple rings can be fueled by fake love too?

Then again, I always thought the idea of female-exclusive love lanterns to be a stupid idea to begin with.
    I think this depends of the writer and even the story.

I think the best example of how the rings are ¨suppose to work¨ is with Mirri Riam

and maybe this might be just my interpretation but it think it works logically
    she loved her husband, she had this great emotion inside her heart, then her husband died and that leaves her... not empty of emotion but more like without focus as the object of her love is not alive anymore, thats why the ring choose her, because she has ¨has great love inside her heart¨ she fuels the ring and not the other way around, just like all the other rings.
    and of course it works with other kinds of love but I think that the main idea is the capacity of having an strong emotion with another being.
    remember a lot of the powers on GLC and even the tv show came from connecting people, so loving the corps very very much is just pretty stupid reasoning for steward to use the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Fatality was full of fake love for John. Worked just fine. If you are void of love the rings automatically fills that hole. I think the ring is just forcing her to love the person closest to her atm, because of her underlining desire to still want to use the ring. If she were hanging around with a child it would probably duplicate the feeling for a mother's love, but hanging around a kid or brother isn't going to give her the kind of adventure she wants.

on the case of fatality and other sapphires who were converted I guess that the idea is that the crystals put them on an illusion state that shift their own emotions to give the priority to love, she hated John Steward because of Xanshi and used that hate to instill fear, so then the crystal shifts that emotion around because it is still an strong sentiment with Steward, it is not like it forces her to love him but changes her on perspective so she takes the decision to love him and when it comes to that realization is when the ring can now use that emotion to fuel itself.
    It is not just because steward was the closest person to him at the moment, remember when she was converted from a sinestro corp her first order to the ring was ¨find john steward¨.

now, i didnt read the issues of GLC so maybe i might be mistaken on how it happen but as far as I understand the story is that the ring was the only reason why she loved him or something and the ring gets destroyed so now she hates him again. which is retarded because it would mean that she was just an slave to the ring the entire time and means the same for pretty much all the other ss on top of it being highly contradictory the way that the thing works, it is not like the indigo that actually forced the emotion on them.
    the ¨fulled with fake love¨ thing just makes no sense with this just like it wouldnt make sense with any of the other rings.

and I think thats also why it is such a huge gigantic pile of bull**** when it came to Carol, if fatality´s explanation was bad with Carol is far worse because she leaves Hal under the stupid pretense that she needs to be in love to fuel the ring or cannot be with Hal because Venditti is just a very poor writer and for some goddamn reason editorial wanted to ship her with Kyle.

overall I think this is just an example of bad direction that came simply from the writers not understanding how the concept worked from what Johns did.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 03-06-2015 at 01:13 AM.

Speaking of Star Shappire, i still don't understand why Dick Grayson was never proposed one of those rings.

"Dick Grayon, you have slept and made fall in love with you half the women on your planet, you're freaking welcome to the corps buddy"

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Speaking of Star Shappire, i still don't understand why Dick Grayson was never proposed one of those rings.

"Dick Grayon, you have slept and made fall in love with you half the women on your planet, you're freaking welcome to the corps buddy"

he hasnt sleep with that many
    I would say Bruce still beats him in the count, according to Harley Quinn´s annual he even slept with Amanda Conner.

Maybe batman, catwoman and joker should all get violet rings.

Catwoman totally deserves one or two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Really though? Like, she only agreed to use the ring again when Hal was in trouble with Sinestro, and then stuck around because Hal was apparently dead, but then he came back. Why is she still using the ring?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Really though? Like, she only agreed to use the ring again when Hal was in trouble with Sinestro, and then stuck around because Hal was apparently dead, but then he came back. Why is she still using the ring?
    She really loves using the ring now, to the extent that she might be lying to herself about Kyle solely to keep it and partially left Hal because she was worried she might not be able to keep using her ring.

I'm not really clear on why they chose to start writing her like her ring is the most important thing to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    She really loves using the ring now, to the extent that she might be lying to herself about Kyle solely to keep it and partially left Hal because she was worried she might not be able to keep using her ring.

I'm not really clear on why they chose to start writing her like her ring is the most important thing to her.
    There's a lot of things I don't understand about the GL books right now...

Incredible Member

assuming that the ring wielder needs to be in love to be able to keep using the sapphire ring, can't carol still be in love with hal despite of the distance? star sapphires can tether themselves to persons they love from across the universe, hal's proximity then couldn't be that much issue.

the change of feelings was just so abrupt.

Spectacular Member

IMO, Venditti writes Hal well and not out-of-character at all. He has always been cock-sure, though nothing like Han Solo nor Captain Kirk. Han Solo and Captain Kirk are not even the same type of guy. The only thing all three have in common is that they fly ships.

I digress...yeah, Hal has always been this guy, whether it was in the Silver Age or Johns' penned. The only difference now is that his bullshit (and I say that with love) is actually being called out where it was almost never before. Consequences and Hal have finally met.

If you look at his actions the only difference between his depiction now and in the past is that his actions don't luck out in everything working out okay. Before you'd get the same kind of decisions, attitude and gusto followed by pats on the back by whoever was around. As a leader in the past, he wasn't either...he just usually got a headstart on the other GLC and happened to fly in front of them so he got to yell out things and appear like everyone was following him. He's a know-it-all and most of the time everyone is just patient and eye-rolling at him but doesn't care enough to correct him because they'd just be wasting their time and breath and just let it go since the task at hand is being attended to anyways regardless of whether Hal exposited commands as if no one else could draw the exact same conclusions just humbly and unsaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I think this depends of the writer and even the story.

I think the best example of how the rings are ¨suppose to work¨ is with Mirri Riam

and maybe this might be just my interpretation but it think it works logically
    she loved her husband, she had this great emotion inside her heart, then her husband died and that leaves her... not empty of emotion but more like without focus as the object of her love is not alive anymore, thats why the ring choose her, because she has ¨has great love inside her heart¨ she fuels the ring and not the other way around, just like all the other rings.
    and of course it works with other kinds of love but I think that the main idea is the capacity of having an strong emotion with another being.
    remember a lot of the powers on GLC and even the tv show came from connecting people, so loving the corps very very much is just pretty stupid reasoning for steward to use the ring.

on the case of fatality and other sapphires who were converted I guess that the idea is that the crystals put them on an illusion state that shift their own emotions to give the priority to love, she hated John Steward because of Xanshi and used that hate to instill fear, so then the crystal shifts that emotion around because it is still an strong sentiment with Steward, it is not like it forces her to love him but changes her on perspective so she takes the decision to love him and when it comes to that realization is when the ring can now use that emotion to fuel itself.
    It is not just because steward was the closest person to him at the moment, remember when she was converted from a sinestro corp her first order to the ring was ¨find john steward¨.

now, i didnt read the issues of GLC so maybe i might be mistaken on how it happen but as far as I understand the story is that the ring was the only reason why she loved him or something and the ring gets destroyed so now she hates him again. which is retarded because it would mean that she was just an slave to the ring the entire time and means the same for pretty much all the other ss on top of it being highly contradictory the way that the thing works, it is not like the indigo that actually forced the emotion on them.
    the ¨fulled with fake love¨ thing just makes no sense with this just like it wouldnt make sense with any of the other rings.

and I think thats also why it is such a huge gigantic pile of bull**** when it came to Carol, if fatality´s explanation was bad with Carol is far worse because she leaves Hal under the stupid pretense that she needs to be in love to fuel the ring or cannot be with Hal because Venditti is just a very poor writer and for some goddamn reason editorial wanted to ship her with Kyle.

overall I think this is just an example of bad direction that came simply from the writers not understanding how the concept worked from what Johns did.
    I think it just boils down to two scenarios. Having the ring show up in front of you and letting yourself be chosen, or being thrown into a crystal and being forced to love. If it's the first scenario then the ring works as long as you have someone or something to love. We even saw that it can work if it's a general love of your people, like with Prixiam Nol-Anj. I believe if Carol found another way to love besides romantic love she could still make the ring work. On a side note we also saw a similar thing during Blackest Night with Ray Palmer, the Indigo ring chose him. He did not become a compassion slave.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post

Basically what Vartox said. The ring is now the focus of her life for some reason. She wants to be a superhero and go save people and stuffs.
    -______
    |____.._|
    -.(-.O-.)
    ..____¯|
    -¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Its not exactly a bad thing to me. One of the reasons why Green Lantern has been getting stale is that ts all Cosmic DC all the time. When you three books one of them should be more tradtional earth based Superhero GL.

because bad writing + mediocre editorial mandates = plot holes

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Its not exactly a bad thing to me. One of the reasons why Green Lantern has been getting stale is that ts all Cosmic DC all the time. When you three books one of them should be more tradtional earth based Superhero GL.
    It doesn't sound like any of the three GL books we'll have in June will be traditional or Earth based, though. Sinestro is obviously not going to be Earth based, and I don't think Hal is going back to Earth. Granted we don't know anything about Lost Army but that name says cosmic to me.