BANNED

Default Wolverines #10: Final Frontier (Spoilers!)

Fang and Creed pop up in the midst of a space pirate battlegroup, and the former handwaves the situation as he torpedoes them into the side of the flagship by stating his Cosmic Power will protect them. They're there to get rid of the pirates, which Fang claims was his and Logan's plans for the weekend (just how busy were he and Logan planning to be this weekend?!). Creed tears into them with gusto, slaughtering his way through the crew to the bridge where, once the pirates manage to adjust their Universal Translators, they claim they've changed after finding religion, and don't go in for mindless torture anymore. NOW when they go from planet to planet and slaughter everybody they do it quick and humane-like. As he did in Jotunheim, Fang buts in before Creed can finish the fight and tells him what Wolverine REALLY thought of him: He's a small and pathetic person whose only purpose in life was to make Logan miserable, and without him he's NOTHING. Wolverine was actually BORED with all the times Sabes popped up to troll him.

While Fang wasn't exactly kind to Daken, he's downright VICIOUS with his dressing down of Creed, and Creed gets incredibly frustrated as Fang questions him on how much he's really changed, all while quietly ordering the pirate ship to stand by to target the rest of the pirate fleet. He likens Creed's claims to have changed to those of the pirates, before finally offering Creed the final say on whether or not to open fire and eliminate the armada. In exasperation he says yes, but quickly tries to stop himself, but it's too late, so Fang orders the ship to open fire. The pirate armada is destroyed, and as Fang departs to return Creed to Changeling, orders it to self-destruct.

Aboard the ship, Deathstrike and Shogun are having a sparring match where Yuriko likens their situation to the Scorpion and the Frog, and warns him that one of them will kill him, though Yuriko insists she won't be the one to do so. Upon Creed's return, Laura volunteers to go next to get it over with, and departs with Fang, but not before, apparently, slipping something onto his person that appears to have finally found a weakness that will allow the team to kill him.

Finally, Fantomelle and Culpepper are at work again raiding a site for their client, though there's little to tell.

I don't think this issue was quite as strong as #9. Much of Creed's dialogue was pretty questionable, and I really couldn't get behind the artwork; at times it could be rather difficult to follow exactly what was happening, especially during action scenes. I AM, however, quite intrigued by what Fang's end game is. So far we've seen two different versions of his "plans" for the weekend, and both have led to a quite relevant examination of his companion's relationship with Logan. I find it increasingly hard to believe this is just a coincidence. Fang is more than what he appears, and there's a clear meaning behind his presence that has yet to be revealed. I DID enjoy his thorough tear-down of Creed. I ESPECIALLY the idea that rather than being hurt or even afraid of Creed's yearly attack, Logan was actually BORED of it and saw it as pathetic.

There's not really a lot for the rest of the cast to work with. 'Melle and 'Pepper felt kind of squeezed in, and I felt the cutaway in this issue -- especially because of its brevity -- served little real purpose to advance the plot and was more just there to have them appear. I'm also not sure I like the idea of Laura agreeing to help the others kill Fang considering she tried to make peace with HIM as soon as she realized their fight was just a misunderstanding. It just seems out of character, and at odds with her actions in #8. I suppose we'll see how it goes next issue.

I'm hoping we eventually find out how and why Fang became so powerful. Or if my theory about Mystique is true. Or if it is even Fang. As for Logan being bored about Sabertooth yearly attacks. It makes sense imo. When someone like Mystique and Creed have nothing better to do than to troll and obsess over Logan as well as the X-men. While doing not much else with their lives it does seem kind of pathetic in retrospect.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Yeah, this was good. The art was better IMO and I enjoyed seeing Creed actually do something, even if it was massacre weak mass-murdering alien pirates. The finale was a little eye-rolling, however, with Fang making Logan out to be Mother Teresa and saying that "he would have worked with them" or some shite like that. Yeah, right. The Logan I knew had a strong samurai code of ethics that would have demanded retribution. In other words, "fire away." Not sure who this guy is that Fang supposedly knew...maybe it was Skrull.

Otherwise, though, highly enjoyable issue. I'm still ready for the series to get back on track and ditch Fang, however. But zero focus on Daken made this infinitely more enjoyable than the last couple of issues.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, this was good. The art was better IMO and I enjoyed seeing Creed actually do something, even if it was massacre weak mass-murdering alien pirates. The finale was a little eye-rolling, however, with Fang making Logan out to be Mother Teresa and saying that "he would have worked with them" or some shite like that. Yeah, right. The Logan I knew had a strong samurai code of ethics that would have demanded retribution. In other words, "fire away." Not sure who this guy is that Fang supposedly knew...maybe it was Skrull.

Otherwise, though, highly enjoyable issue. I'm still ready for the series to get back on track and ditch Fang, however. But zero focus on Daken made this infinitely more enjoyable than the last couple of issues.
    Yeah that rang very false to me as well. Logan couldn't even be bothered to "take responsibility" (as Fang was suggesting) for his own son, nevermind a random race of aliens. He would have killed them all or left them to sort out their own problems.

I thought this issue was really mediocre... Fang is growing more annoying than insightful. Hopefully the X-23 issue is better.

Interesting Fang mentioned the Power Cosmic. Isn't that what Galactus' Heralds have? Anyway it's not something imperial guards would have access to.

About the only thing I enjoyed here were the aliens themselves, their story and the way they were presented. I guess Shogun/Lady Deathstrike also was not bad.

This arc just goes on without any purpose, but to seemingly give Fang credibility he never previously had, and really doesn't deserve. I mean... there's subplots going on that aren't even fully explained so Fang can teach "lessons" to the main cast.

Meanwhile, the remaining Paradise characters are reduced to off panel voices (save for Shogun), showing how interesting they really were in the first place.

This book is starting to falter a bit. It might be the weekly shipping reducing writing and art quality, but it's definitely flagging ten issues in.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Forget about Logan samurai code. He would have wiped out the pirates for what they did prior to finding religion. Just on general principles. If and when they do bring back Wolverine. I really hope they get rid of the whole samurai aspects from his character post Secret Wars. I never liked it and felt that Marvel had to tack it on because one of their more popular characters. Was not only one of the good guys but also a stone cold killer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Forget about Logan samurai code. He would have wiped out the pirates for what they did prior to finding religion. Just on general principles. If and when they do bring back Wolverine. I really hope they get rid of the whole samurai aspects from his character post Secret Wars. I never liked it and felt that Marvel had to tack it on because one of their more popular characters. Was not only one of the good guys but also a stone cold killer.
    Even AFTER finding religion Logan probably would have thought those pirates probably deserved putting down for their actions; finding religion didn't stop them from killing, they just decided to do it cleanly and quickly instead.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    This arc just goes on without any purpose, but to seemingly give Fang credibility he never previously had, and really doesn't deserve. I mean... there's subplots going on that aren't even fully explained so Fang can teach "lessons" to the main cast.

Meanwhile, the remaining Paradise characters are reduced to off panel voices (save for Shogun), showing how interesting they really were in the first place.

This book is starting to falter a bit. It might be the weekly shipping reducing writing and art quality, but it's definitely flagging ten issues in.
    Well by 12 well be getting back on track once fangs plot let's up. Then it's all full steam ahead with mystique and that blacked out figure from the cover of 13
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Even AFTER finding religion Logan probably would have thought those pirates probably deserved putting down for their actions; finding religion didn't stop them from killing, they just decided to do it cleanly and quickly instead.
    To say nothing of if that group of aliens would bastardize their religion a few years later and use it as the onus for carrying out even greater atrocities.

Y'know, like folks on Earth do. Or, not to single out a planet, the Skrull empire...
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Nothing again on Elixer :-(
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

The inconsistent art in this book is hurting it.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

It was an interesting read. Psychology & Catastrophic breakdown finale to Savretooth. That reminded me that inverted Sabretooth really became a good man with minimizing his crazy side. Fawkes and Markes's combination was very smooth, i liked it.

--- "Psychology" is almost the standard of measurement for the cleanliness or uncleanliness of a race. For if a man is not even clean how can he have depth? --- Nietzsche

This is my personal thought, but i guess this mission should have been accomplished by the hands of ex-slaves themselves, to reclaim their own rights of Freedom and Vengeance from pirates, even if they would have taken centuries, even generations to accomplish.

Fang and "some friends" had no business to intruding on them. because it was not a matter for good or bad as psychology and vacation, but For --- a higher order of values, noble and Life Affirming values which guarantee the future. the "Will to life".(that is not so as to be free of terror and pity; nor to purge one's self of a dangerous emotion by discharging it with passion, but to be far beyond terror and pity.)--- Fang & Sabretooth's business could have held almost like the Essential of samurai spirits, if they had enough time & some different way & real worth/power of invert(???)

I also wonder if this latest issue would/could have been appropriate for Daken on a lot of things, rather than his last 'a bit flawed' issue.

Hope:
    It's NOT that I've been really enjoying every issue on Wolverines, or have bought 'great things' for Daken.
    I think they are good writers. And I'm still having hope. Hopefully we could see the real Daken. HE who is NOT a doormat/a moron/a messenger boy of Manipulator-Mystique/an unwanted child of "everyone"'s legendary hero/the weakest, "wallflower" member of Wolverines (even not in cover arts, none of skottie cover).

I'm really looking forward to seeing the adventure of Wolf Siblings on Wolverines #14-15 !!!!! Love the covers by Guillem March!
    Last edited by soyokaze; 03-17-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: some corrections to spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    Get rid of Wolverine's Samurai aspects? I don't think I've ever disagreed more about anything involving comics. That code actually gave Logan layers instead of him being one-dimensional berserker killer. Get rid of that, and how is Wolverine any different than the Punisher? And Samurai code doesn't mean that you can't kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoahe22 View Post
    Get rid of Wolverine's Samurai aspects? I don't think I've ever disagreed more about anything involving comics. That code actually gave Logan layers instead of him being one-dimensional berserker killer. Get rid of that, and how is Wolverine any different than the Punisher? And Samurai code doesn't mean that you can't kill.
    That's the thing though. Logan was a one-dimensional berserker at the start. I'm not saying he should not have a code of honor. Let him have his own code of honor. Someone like Wolverine who in a fit of rage killed off his own illegimate children really has no business calling himself a samurai anymore. Without his code their not much difference between the pre-Inverted Sabertooth and Wolverine. Except Logan is one of the good guys and relatively more sane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Logan has killed some of his enemies for less. So anyone hiding behind religion to excuse their previous actions would simply enrage him further imo.