Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

Default What kind of Villains do you Hate?

As we read different comics/books and watch TV shows/movies, there are villains whom you can love and hate depending on how they are written, the concept, their personality or their deeds.
    So in this case, what kind of villains do you hate so much that you want him/her to be killed off or never see him/her again.

For me, I hate villains who are rapists (e.g. Purple Man), torture-and-kill animals (e.g. Brix and Bora of the Inheritors) and poorly-written villains in general.

MY MOST HATED VILLAINS I DESPISED SO MUCH

- Purple Man (with the combination of mind control powers and slimy personality, he is quite a creep for raping the women and forcing Jessica Jones to watch)
    - Mandrill (the pheromone powers are creepy and also he has women as his slaves to be used as soldiers, harem or whatever. And he looks like a monkey)
    - Daemos of the Inheritors (other than killing Mayday's father, he sexually harassed Lady Spider and he hurt the New Warriors just to get Kaine)
    - the S.H.I.E.L.D scientists who experimented on Niels the Bouncing cat (not only that they threatened to put the cat down, they also call it 'Not human' in front of Jim Hammond who is an android)
    - the Hellfire Brats (poorly-written kids who replaced Sebastian Shaw and none of them are threatening)
    - Vulcan (he's poorly conceived, ridiculously powerful and he has a personality of an overgrown toddler in an adult body),
    - Brix and Bora (other than killing any versions of Spider-Man/Spider-Woman they come across, they tortured and killed Spider-Kitty)
    - Cassandra Nova (poorly conceived and she commits genocide on Genosha for fun just to spite Xavier)
    - Lash (a bad replacement for the charismatic Magneto or Exodus who kills any Inhuman follower who annoys him in a petty way and he is very bland for an extremist Inhuman leader)
    - Reverend Stryker and the Purifiers (other than being cowardly for blowing up a schoolbus of depowered mutant kids and slaughtering the innocent civilians and babies of Cooperstown in Alaska just for the mutant baby, they also give a bad name to Christians)
    Last edited by MitchFox; 03-04-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    As we read different comics/books and watch TV shows/movies, there are villains whom you can love and hate depending on how they are written, the concept, their personality or their deeds.
    So in this case, what kind of villains do you hate so much that you want him/her to be killed off or never see him/her again.

For me, I hate villains who are rapists (e.g. Purple Man), torture-and-kill animals (e.g. Brix and Bora of the Inheritors) and poorly-written villains in general.

MY MOST HATED VILLAINS I DESPISED SO MUCH

- Purple Man (with the combination of mind control powers and slimy personality, he is quite a creep for raping the women and forcing Jessica Jones to watch)
    - Mandrill (the pheromone powers are creepy and also he has women as his slaves to be used as soldiers, harem or whatever. And he looks like a monkey)
    - Daemos of the Inheritors (other than killing Mayday's father, he sexually harassed Lady Spider and he hurt the New Warriors just to get Kaine)
    - the S.H.I.E.L.D scientists who experimented on Niels the Bouncing cat (not only that they threatened to put the cat down, they also call it 'Not human' in front of Jim Hammond who is an android)
    - the Hellfire Brats (poorly-written kids who replaced Sebastian Shaw and none of them are threatening)
    - Vulcan (he's poorly conceived, ridiculously powerful and he has a personality of an overgrown toddler in an adult body),
    - Brix and Bora (other than killing any versions of Spider-Man/Spider-Woman they come across, they tortured and killed Spider-Kitty)
    - Cassandra Nova (poorly conceived and she commits genocide on Genosha for fun just to spite Xavier)
    - Lash (a bad replacement for the charismatic Magneto or Exodus who kills any Inhuman follower who annoys him in a petty way and he is very bland for an extremist Inhuman leader)
    - Reverend Stryker and the Purifiers (other than being cowardly for blowing up a schoolbus of depowered mutant kids, they also give a bad name to Christians)
    I feel like Vulcan was supposed to be marvel's Superboy-Prime, especially in War of Kings.

BANNED

I hate heroes who become villains.

Astonishing Member

I hate villains who become heroes

A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I hate heroes who become villains.
    I agree with this

Except for Ultimate Reed Richards, I hate it when the heroes become villains for no good reason.
    For example, Bishop suddenly turned against the X-Men by setting the Sentinel Squad O.N.E to attack the mansion, blames Cable for anything that happened to the X-Men and destroyed the worlds of different future timelines he came across just to kill baby Hope.
    Despite siding with Mister Sinister and the Marauders, at least Gambit had a good reason to attack the X-Men. He is quite desperate when he turned to Sinister to get rid of his Horseman persona and he thought that Sinister would cure Rogue's dire condition (she is comatose and her powers are wilder and more fatal than ever).
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Astonishing Member

I don't hate villains as much as I hate how certain villains are used.

Absorbing Man, The Wrecking Crew and Rhino - heavy hitters that are frequently trotted out to make heroes look good on the launch of a new book. They should find an in-comic way to capitalize on that.

I also hate when you have a new villain come out of nowhere and wreck established heroes so that they look formidable.

Villains who have no depth. I don't care about a villain who's cartoonishly evil and has nothing in their characterisation or any of their appearances that isn't just straight up villainy.

Villains who are creepy and sadistic for no reason. Lincoln Slade is a special kind of creepy, since he wasn't only a rapist and attempted murderer, but also came back to try and kill Bobbi so he could own her forever. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Villains who have no depth. I don't care about a villain who's cartoonishly evil and has nothing in their characterisation or any of their appearances that isn't just straight up villainy.

Villains who are creepy and sadistic for no reason. Lincoln Slade is a special kind of creepy, since he wasn't only a rapist and attempted murderer, but also came back to try and kill Bobbi so he could own her forever. Ugh.
    So i guess you hate Dr. Doom?

BANNED

My most-hated types of villains have already been said. Although I put these down to poor writing and storytelling rather than poor characters:

Straw misogynists - Absorbing Man, mainly. If they're only there for the writer to make some heavy-handed, "yay! Go women!" point, they needn't be there. It just comes off as preachy and insulting to the reader's intelligence.

Zealot characters - Like Stryker, who was mentioned. Using religion as a reason for villainy is just such a cop-out and I don't think I've ever read a story that uses that archetype in a worthwhile fashion.

Villains who become heroes - I know that this is done because some villains become popular but one of the reasons they become popular is because they're villains. Venom is a frequent victim of this.

Incredible Member

Apocalypse
    Mr. Sinister

Overwhelmingly powerful, virtually indestructable. With personalities and motivations that no sane person should be able to relate to.

Apocalypse and Sinister are basically Super-Nazis.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Nazis - They were relevant once upon a time. It was a pretty terrible time worth remembering, but their evil isn't some applicable for today's story-telling.

Straw-feminists - Basically villainesses like Superia and Titania who don't really have a purpose outside of misrepresenting a social movement.

Evil-"Christians" - There certainly are people in the world who use their religion to justify their wrong doings, but it's really lazy to, again, marginalize a group of people you disagree with.

Rapists - Rape in comics could be used to showcase the trauma that people go through and their recovery, but more often than not, it's a lazy short-handed plot device to show how evil some villain (usually a male character) is while simultaneously breaking down their victim (usually a female character) without every really exploring her feelings and emotions after the fact.

Heroes turned villains - Could be done right, but almost never is.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I hate villains who become heroes
    Purple Girl.
    She NEVER deserved to be in Alpha Flight. Ever.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

BANNED

Weird thread. Aren't villains meant to be despicable? You'd think your disgust is the intended effect. They want you to want the villains defeated! Seriously.

I think all of the examples mentioned are purely down to poor execution. If it isn't done well, it sucks. Doesn't mean that type of character never ever works; it means they were written crappily.

Astonishing Member

I never liked villains who's stated motive is greed and all they do is rob banks and they often use technology that would make them a mint if they simply patented the tech. Someone like Trapster doesn't need to rob banks, he would made cash bringing his glue to market. Its kinda lazy writing to have this kind of character stick around for 50 years and not get any real development. At least with some evil psychopath, there are real stakes if the hero doesn't stop him, why should care if some greedy super villain who could easily find a better way to make money, get away with some insured, marked bills or not. These characters have been around for 50 years, surely we do something more interesting with them.

BANNED

Villains that have clearly committed crimes or transgressed against humanity or their own kind (I.e., mutants), and then suddenly become heroes -- especially when said crimes are ignored, forgotten, or otherwise go completely unprosecuted. What's the point of "good vs evil" if evildoers (no matter how temporary), gets a "get out of jail free" card as soon as they decide switch sides.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 03-04-2015 at 06:16 PM.