Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

Jim Lee should never have sold Wildstorm to DC Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Imagine if Jim Lee did that kind of artwork for the Punisher or Black Widow like he did with Deathblow? The Deathbow series was great in black and white because it really showed a story that needed no dialog.
    Here's how that goes in my imagination...

There is one interesting issue, and then it gets shelved because Lee cannot handle a monthly schedule.

I think that Jim Lee should have given publishing control to Warren Ellis or a creative management team to handle Wildstorm while he moved on to other things rather than selling the company to DC.

Just imagine how far Wildstorm might have been today under the right creative management team? Perhaps Jim should have hired Joe Quesada and the guys of Event Comics to run Wildstorm. In a sense, Wildstorm buying Event Comics and bring the team over to the company.
    To take a minute to point out the obvious...

This is exactly what DC did with The Wild Storm and the upcoming WILDCATS series.

Which was better than the the really great stuff(DC-era) that folks have already mentioned. Never mind the early "Wildstorm" material.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-13-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Current comics will never be as good as when you first bought them. IMO, had Lee never sold WS to DC, the original fans wouldn't be satisfied with the current crop of comics. It's just the way it is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Current comics will never be as good as when you first bought them. IMO, had Lee never sold WS to DC, the original fans wouldn't be satisfied with the current crop of comics. It's just the way it is.
    Disney was developing Gen 13: The Animation for the US market when DC got Wildstorm. I feel that Wildstorm could have gone in the direction of animation and TV projects with Netflix. So far, DC has not done that for Wildstorm...

Disney was developing Gen 13: The Animation for the US market when DC got Wildstorm. I feel that Wildstorm could have gone in the direction of animation and TV projects with Netflix. So far, DC has not done that for Wildstorm...
    First, the idea that the animated "Gen 13" thing would actually have ever been anything other than "In Development..." is just one big "Maybe?" There's about a million different ways that could have never wound up amounting to anything.

As for that whole "Could Have..." angle with with animation/Netflix? That's an even longer shot with about five million ways it could have failed.

Never mind trying to do it with the "Early" Wildstorm IP. Honestly, the "Post-DC Purchase..."-era IP would probably have had a better shot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    First, the idea that the animated "Gen 13" thing would actually have ever been anything other than "In Development..." is just one big "Maybe?" There's about a million different ways that could have never wound up amounting to anything.

As for that whole "Could Have..." angle with with animation/Netflix? That's an even longer shot with about five million ways it could have failed.

Never mind trying to do it with the "Early" Wildstorm IP. Honestly, the "Post-DC Purchase..."-era IP would probably have had a better shot.
    The Gen 13 cartoon was completed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen%C2%B9%C2%B3_(film)

It back up my argument that Jim Lee should have kept his company in a blind trust, which would have allowed him to work elsewhere. I feel that Wildstorm could have gone into animation and video games had the company not been sold to DC Comics...
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-17-2019 at 03:48 PM.

The Gen 13 cartoon was completed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen%C2%B9%C2%B3_(film)

It back up my argument that Jim Lee should have kept his company in a blind trust, which would have allowed him to work elsewhere. I feel that Wildstorm could have gone into animation and video games had the company not been sold to DC Comics...
    That is exactly what I was talking about.

Just because something makes it to even being screened or a limited release run doesn't mean anything past that.

Even if the company that wound up owning it gave it a wide release and a budget to market it, that doesn't mean it would have been the start of bigger things.

Films with a wide release and a marketing budget fail all the time. Films with a far lager potential audience than the film we are discussing.

Think about Edgar Wright version of the Marvel film he worked on. It made it a lot further, and still didn't work out. It essentially got stuck at "In Development" even though it made it further down the line.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-17-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Nothing comes close to the Pre-DC Wildstorm:

This is what I want back, I don't care who "owns" it, Wildcats 1.0 (with Divine Right) are my favorite iteration of the characters. Then again I love Youngblood 1.0 the most as well too.

Astonishing Member

This is interesting you mention this since Eisner era Disney had wanted their own superheroes thing to compete with DC/WB.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    This is what I want back, I don't care who "owns" it, Wildcats 1.0 (with Divine Right) are my favorite iteration of the characters. Then again I love Youngblood 1.0 the most as well too.
    Yeah, the original '90s Wildstorm was what worked for me. I have no hate towards the current Wildstorm books and can even see their own coolness about them, but the original versions were more my speed. I kinda liked everything that got tossed out in the current run.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That is exactly what I was talking about.

Just because something makes it to even being screened or a limited release run doesn't mean anything past that.

Even if the company that wound up owning it gave it a wide release and a budget to market it, that doesn't mean it would have been the start of bigger things.

Films with a wide release and a marketing budget fail all the time. Films with a far lager potential audience than the film we are discussing.

Think about Edgar Wright version of the Marvel film he worked on. It made it a lot further, and still didn't work out. It essentially got stuck at "In Development" even though it made it further down the line.

No, Disney had nothing to with the development of Gen-13: The Animated Movie because had they been involved it might have been you know good or at the very least decent.

From what I've read it was Jim Lee and others who invested 2 million dollars into Gen 13: The Animated Movie and all Disney was going to do was to release through one of their subsidiary companies at the time (Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Dimension, etc) and BTW it's on YouTube and I've seen it, and IMHO it's God-Awful. The animation is shoddy, the character designs and art style are B:TAS rip-offs and the voice acting is pretty bad even Mark Hamil can't make Threshold interesting and when you have John DeLancy (the actor who played Q on Star Trek: The Next Generation) sounding so dull and boring you can't save this piece of crap.

IMHO Gen-13: The Animated Movie sucks and Disney did everybody a HUGE favor by not releasing it in the US. It's crap.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 08-10-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Amazing Member

I've been re-reading old Gen 13 comics. Great group, great art. I'd say as far as Jim Lee cashing out goes, the reality is, these characters don't matter that much. I remember reading a lot the Image titles back in the day, a lot of them didn't leave an impression. Jim Lee himself matters more to DC than those IP.

As for a Gen 13 cartoon, the better way to adapt that is live action if you are doing what ifs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I forgot about StormWatch too, that was really the golden age best version of those characters. I prefer Stormwatch over the Authority tbh and the whole aliens killing them was dumb.