Amazing Member

Question Spider-Woman - important issues?

I'm trying to get up to speed with Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), can anyone point me toward any must-read issues?

Also, a couple of probably stupid questions....

1. I bought her Origin LS, but that origin doesn't seem to be the origin that's being referenced on the Marvel website? Is the Marvel website version the "correct" one at the moment?

2. Can she actually fly or not?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NotABadger View Post
    I'm trying to get up to speed with Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), can anyone point me toward any must-read issues?

Also, a couple of probably stupid questions....

1. I bought her Origin LS, but that origin doesn't seem to be the origin that's being referenced on the Marvel website? Is the Marvel website version the "correct" one at the moment?

2. Can she actually fly or not?

Thanks!
    I'd like to be able to say, the original volume of her own series, late 70s to early 80s, since that was always my favorite, but I'm not sure just how much you could say the Spider-Woman published these days is really the same character.

As for flying, for a long time she was only able to glide, although often it seemed functionally equivalent, but I'm not sure if the story about HYDRA upgrading her to flying applies to Jessica herself or only to Veranke during the lead up to Secret Invasion.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I think it was confirmed that it was Veranke who had the flying upgrade. Jessica hasn't flown since coming back from being Skrull-napped.

I'd get Bendis and Maleev's Spider-Woman: Agent of Sword. It's pretty good and it's only seven issues. It lays the groundwork for her current characterization.
    You might want to pick up Bendis's post-Secret Invasion issues of New Avengers to get a feel of where she's been in the Marvel U the past few years, but I'm not caught up on those so I can't tell you how vital they are.

Spider-Woman: Origin by Bendis and Brian Reed and the Luna Bros is the "correct" one that's currently being referenced in the current run of Spider-Woman as well as Bendis's. I wouldn't pay attention to what the Marvel website says bc it's rarely correct.