Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Watchmen Director's Cut is amazing.
    Watchmen Director's Cut is worse than the theatrical cut. It adds nothing new of importance, and only serves to make the movie longer. I can't even begin to imagine why some things were added to the directors cut. Oh here's a new dumb scene of Rorschach looking at a cop so hard that he misses all his shots, guess it was added because other than the sex scene the theatrical cut is so light on comedy. The only big thing that seems to added anything is the Hollis Mason scenes. The only thing is they don't added anything, because Hollis Mason's death was folded into Rorschach's death in the movie...which means in the directors cut you have the same thing happen two times in a row. Mason's death also only further illustrates how much Zack Snyder does not get the material he's adapting. He took a scene of an old man being beaten by random punks that was juxtapositioned against his glory days of beating masked villains, and turned it into a scene of old man Manson kicking ass with every hit flashing back to him kicking ass.

Watchmen is a pretty awful movie, with the only good thing in the whole thing being the Doctor Manhattan sequence with the Koyaanisqatsi music. It's weird how focused Snyder is on the mystery aspect of the Watchmen comic, (which is the least interesting part of it) but then precedes to remove parts of the comic that would make that stronger. It's also weird how completely humorless the movie is, the comic isn't without humor, but besides some unintentionally funny scenes (like the sex scene) Watchmen might be one of the morosest movies ever made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    So they never team up and keep them in separate universes.

Mina never divorced, and is happily married with child free of any connection to Dracula.
    Quatermain never faked his own death or became an opium addict.
    Likewise Griffin never stages his own death by using another albino he turned invisible as a guinea pig, as a stand in for his own beaten to death self.
    Dr. Jekyll doesn't transform under stress Bruce Banner style.
    Nemo never allies himself to interests of an Imperialist nation.
    ..etc

It's hard to team them up if they're almost all dead.

Would we get Edward sodomizing anybody? Would the movie have very uncomfortable parts? Will there be hidden penises everywhere? Will part of the the movie be in 3D?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Would we get Edward sodomizing anybody? Would the movie have very uncomfortable parts? Will there be hidden penises everywhere? Will part of the the movie be in 3D?
    We could only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    We could only hope.
    I'm not intending to be crass or distill LOEG into something it's not, but I don't think anybody is going to make a movie that does 3 of those 4 things.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I'm not intending to be crass or distill LOEG into something it's not, but I don't think anybody is going to make a movie that does 3 of those 4 things.
    They don't all happen in the same story, so that's ok.

BANNED

Watchmen Director's Cut is worse than the theatrical cut. It adds nothing new of importance, and only serves to make the movie longer. I can't even begin to imagine why some things were added to the directors cut. Oh here's a new dumb scene of Rorschach looking at a cop so hard that he misses all his shots, guess it was added because other than the sex scene the theatrical cut is so light on comedy. The only big thing that seems to added anything is the Hollis Mason scenes. The only thing is they don't added anything, because Hollis Mason's death was folded into Rorschach's death in the movie...which means in the directors cut you have the same thing happen two times in a row. Mason's death also only further illustrates how much Zack Snyder does not get the material he's adapting. He took a scene of an old man being beaten by random punks that was juxtapositioned against his glory days of beating masked villains, and turned it into a scene of old man Manson kicking ass with every hit flashing back to him kicking ass.

Watchmen is a pretty awful movie, with the only good thing in the whole thing being the Doctor Manhattan sequence with the Koyaanisqatsi music. It's weird how focused Snyder is on the mystery aspect of the Watchmen comic, (which is the least interesting part of it) but then precedes to remove parts of the comic that would make that stronger. It's also weird how completely humorless the movie is, the comic isn't without humor, but besides some unintentionally funny scenes (like the sex scene) Watchmen might be one of the morosest movies ever made.
    The movie is an excellent example of making it look 'like the comic' and missing the point of the source material.
    I will agree with you on the Dr. Manhattan sequence, that was the only soundtrack decision that was well done. The rest of the soundtrack was laughingly bad..Sounds of Silence at the funeral? Boogie Man to show that it was the 70s? Ride of the Valkries (from Apocalypse Now) for the Vietnam scenes..and the capper, 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen for the completely unnecessary sex scene. Really, the movie is hilariously bad, I mean MST3K bad.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Do an actual faithful adaption.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    The movie is an excellent example of making it look 'like the comic' and missing the point of the source material.
    I will agree with you on the Dr. Manhattan sequence, that was the only soundtrack decision that was well done. The rest of the soundtrack was laughingly bad..Sounds of Silence at the funeral? Boogie Man to show that it was the 70s? Ride of the Valkries (from Apocalypse Now) for the Vietnam scenes..and the capper, 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen for the completely unnecessary sex scene. Really, the movie is hilariously bad, I mean MST3K bad.
    That's the only sex scene in the comic, the rest were all pre- or post-coitus (or interuptus, hiho!). It actually has a thematic reason to be shown (comic and film). Using music most people associate with an era to bring home a point is no more jarring than juxtaposing real people (like Nixon) into the comic was when it came out. I remember reviews of Moore much like what you have said about the movie (lazy to use obvious touches). The lyrics of Hallelujah intertwine the impotence motif of Dan very well, so it was a great song choice, culminating in his return to sexual and spiritual potency. I think the music is one of the few things that nailed the point of the source material. I think there are other flaws in the film that illustrate Snyder's lack of understanding of the source material (the ending with Dan/SSII, for example) better than the inspired music choices.

But back on the topic of doing a LOEG film, I'm with the poster that said, "DON'T!"

BANNED

That's the only sex scene in the comic, the rest were all pre- or post-coitus (or interuptus, hiho!). It actually has a thematic reason to be shown (comic and film). Using music most people associate with an era to bring home a point is no more jarring than juxtaposing real people (like Nixon) into the comic was when it came out. I remember reviews of Moore much like what you have said about the movie (lazy to use obvious touches). The lyrics of Hallelujah intertwine the impotence motif of Dan very well, so it was a great song choice, culminating in his return to sexual and spiritual potency. I think the music is one of the few things that nailed the point of the source material. I think there are other flaws in the film that illustrate Snyder's lack of understanding of the source material (the ending with Dan/SSII, for example) better than the inspired music choices.

But back on the topic of doing a LOEG film, I'm with the poster that said, "DON'T!"
    The sex scene could have been handled more tactfully, I think, than the Cinemax version Snyder used. And, he omitted the scene with Dan and Laurie in the artic, thinking it would be better to have Dan run out and watch Jon murder Rorschach. The scene where Laurie and Dan grasp for each other in the aftermath of the knowledge of what had happened, the death and destruction would have given the death of New York some emotional resonance. As it stands, it was just some CGI people dying.
    The soundtrack was boring as ****, to be honest. They could have at least used Dylan's version of All Along the Watchtower.

BANNED

There's no way you can be serious, the sex scene with that music is completely ridiculous and unintentionally funny. Unless Zack Snyder wanted people laughing out loud during that moment it doesn't work at all.

Can you blame him? They've all been pretty terrible.
    Except for the Justice League episode adaptation of his "For the Man who has Everything".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Except for the Justice League episode adaptation of his "For the Man who has Everything".
    But that isn't a movie. Anyways, I heard somewhat that he actually liked that, not sure if it's true.

But that isn't a movie. Anyways, I heard somewhat that he actually liked that, not sure if it's true.
    That was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    The sex scene could have been handled more tactfully, I think, than the Cinemax version Snyder used. And, he omitted the scene with Dan and Laurie in the artic, thinking it would be better to have Dan run out and watch Jon murder Rorschach. The scene where Laurie and Dan grasp for each other in the aftermath of the knowledge of what had happened, the death and destruction would have given the death of New York some emotional resonance. As it stands, it was just some CGI people dying.
    The soundtrack was boring as ****, to be honest. They could have at least used Dylan's version of All Along the Watchtower.
    See, those are stronger arguments for missing the point. And I totally agree with you about the movie needing more Dylan!
    There's no way you can be serious, the sex scene with that music is completely ridiculous and unintentionally funny. Unless Zack Snyder wanted people laughing out loud during that moment it doesn't work at all.
    The sex scene was completely ridiculous and intended to be funny in the comic book. Come on, sex in a super book? Climaxing with a stream of fire shooting out of Archie? That wasn't the norm then and it's not the norm (yet) in superhero movies. The song brings that point home while also tying into Dan's problems. It's great and I think the humor flies over people's heads. Maybe if the film had more (or better) delivered humor scenes, the satire would be more obvious. But I enjoy the subtleness of the humor in the scene.