Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

There is nothing at all subtle about the Watchmen movie.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Indeed, sorry, my last sentence should've read in the comic. The movie was more over-the-top about the humor. If there was more in the movies, it would have be more humorous, as it was, it still was pretty funny to me at least.

I guess part of my post got cut out when I was flipping around.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 03-10-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I don't think that scene in the movie is meant to be funny, I'm like 99% sure the humor their is completely unintentional. We aren't meant to be laughing at the characters in that moment, as it plays it feels like it's just making fun of them, and I don't think that's what Zack Snyder intended. There's also stuff in the movie that's clearly meant to be funny, like when they tell the story of the guy that liked getting beat up...that's a joke with a punch line, and it isn't funny at all in the movie. Watchmen is a movie devoid of intentional humor, it even removes funny bits from the comic like the different ways Rorschach surprises Moloch.

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed the LOXG movie. Granted, it strayed from the original work, but just seeing all of these literary characters on screen together was great! Again, not an 'epic' movie by any means, but taken as just a movie, I loved it.

As for how to revamp it. Maybe they could use more noticeable characters. Not sure if they all belong to public domain, but how about a team along the lines of: Lone Ranger, Tarzan, Zorro, John Henry, Robin Hood, and Doctor Syn (okay, not that popular a character, but a great visual).

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post

As for how to revamp it. Maybe they could use more noticeable characters. Not sure if they all belong to public domain, but how about a team along the lines of: Lone Ranger, Tarzan, Zorro, John Henry, Robin Hood, and Doctor Syn (okay, not that popular a character, but a great visual).
    Well the LOEG is British so ... that's a lot of Yankees. And isn't Robin Hood from a different time than all the others? Doctor Syn was in the 1780s LOEG.
    1780sLeague.jpg
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well the LOEG is British so ... that's a lot of Yankees. And isn't Robin Hood from a different time than all the others? Doctor Syn was in the 1780s LOEG.
    1780sLeague.jpg
    Let's think like a studio for a moment: But do they need to be British?

Let's think like a studio for a moment: But do they need to be British?
    Well since the thread it how I would reboot the League, yes. They need to be British characters (as in BritLit). We already got the Americanized LXG and it didn't work out so well. Time to try something new, adapt it more faithfully.

BANNED

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed the LOXG movie. Granted, it strayed from the original work, but just seeing all of these literary characters on screen together was great! Again, not an 'epic' movie by any means, but taken as just a movie, I loved it.

Not the Lone Ranger per se, but what about the black inspiration for the Lone Ranger, Bass Reeves?
    Last edited by gwangung; 03-13-2015 at 03:50 PM.

BANNED

It is subtle as a gorilla on crack swinging a sledgehammer.

BANNED

I don't think that scene in the movie is meant to be funny, I'm like 99% sure the humor their is completely unintentional. We aren't meant to be laughing at the characters in that moment, as it plays it feels like it's just making fun of them, and I don't think that's what Zack Snyder intended. There's also stuff in the movie that's clearly meant to be funny, like when they tell the story of the guy that liked getting beat up...that's a joke with a punch line, and it isn't funny at all in the movie. Watchmen is a movie devoid of intentional humor, it even removes funny bits from the comic like the different ways Rorschach surprises Moloch.
    Yeah, the joke about the villain that wanted to be beat up completely fell flat..of course, the delivery and wooden performances didn't help.

That would be great to see, except for Doctor Syn it wouldn't be the LXG movie though . Just other random pulp heroes put together. Might as well be called Masks, or Pulps!
    As for public domain, Tarzan, Lone Ranger, Zorro are all heavenly protected by their respective estates/rights holders and/or companies they licensed the brand to - Sony/Disney/etc.
    There are plenty of Victorian and pulp era heroes who have lapsed though as you suggest, and can and have been used in such a way.
    John Henry, Robin Hood are folk heroes so definitely available, but of completely different time periods to each-other.
    So great derivative idea, but why call it LXG.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-15-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    You do know that Alan Moore has never supported any adaptations of his work, right?
    "For The Man Who Has Everything," according to Dwayne McDuffie & Bruce Timm.

EDIT: also see Eddie Campbell's adaps of his stage work, and Anthony Johnston's of The Courtyard and Fashion Beast (assuming they count)

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Oh, and I used to wonder about Terrance Stamp for Quatermain and Amanda Donahoe for Mina, but I wonder about age being a factor now.

Maybe animated?

So apparently missed this when announced - http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-pilot/191103/
    Don't know where it stands today.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    "For The Man Who Has Everything," according to Dwayne McDuffie & Bruce Timm.

EDIT: also see Eddie Campbell's adaps of his stage work, and Anthony Johnston's of The Courtyard and Fashion Beast (assuming they count)
    I think he tends to not care much about stories he doesn't own or with characters he didn't create.
    I have to imagine that Eddie Campbell treated Alan like a human being when asking to adapt his work.