Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I think this curse is ludicrous for two reasons: 1-I don't believe in curses and 2-I don't see how these guys' lives were "ruined."
    Hence the "so-called" bit. And their lives may or may not have been ruined, but their acting careers were most definitely affected for the worse in every single case.

Reeves took his life, but had issues prior to portraying Superman. Reeve was injured in an accident and turned that around to inspire millions of disabled people to aspire to not only function again, but flourish. Kirk Alyn had problems outside of casting that had nothing to do with playing Superman.
    Alyn was straight-up typecast. Whenever he did non-Superman roles, the audience just couldn't take him seriously.

Reeves had had serious acting aspirations, and actively loathed what he perceived his role of Superman had to done to them. His role as Superman contributed big-time to his depression.

Holiday had a successful run as Superman on Broadway, became a home builder, had a successful career, and now enjoys retirement and making convention appearances.
    Holiday's acting career peaked with Superman, at a time when Superman was not taken seriously at all by adults. He needed to change careers to find success, as Superman killed his acting career.

Haymes-Newton and Gerard's careers have not been "ruined;" both have enjoyed TV and stage work and I don't think they were necessarily huge talents that were somehow held back by typecasting.
    Haymes-Newton and his feud with the Salkinds on that show actively led to him being fired and a lot of long-standing bad blood. As with Gerard, both of their acting careers took a nosedive after playing Clark Kent.

The same goes for Cain, Welling, and Routh; they're all working in various projects and will continue to receive some percentage of royalties from products/media sales of their respective series or films.
    I'm pretty sure any of these gentlemen had been told with certainty what would happen to their acting careers after their involvement with Clark Kent, all three would never have taken the role. Cain has had to go outside acting (possibly conservative politics). Welling is doing what since SMALLVILLE exactly? His HELLCATS tv show was cancelled and he's gone through a bad divorce. He's out of Hollywood.

The only person, IMO, who had tremendous acting potential that might have been affected by playing Superman is Christopher Reeve, but he stated in more than one interview that it was an honor to play Superman and that he was grateful for the opportunity to change people's lives by the role.
    I'm pretty sure most actors like Christopher Reeve get into the acting game not to be known only for one role. If even Reeve, whom I agree had tremendous acting potential, couldn't escape typecasting, then there's reason to be concerned about Henry Cavill's career.

If he was able to move beyond the initial frustration he likely felt from being typecast and see the role of Superman as a blessing rather than curse, who are we to feel any differently?
    One, he'd look like a real d-bag if he publicly bitched about what missed opportunities Superman was responsible for (like Brandon Routh did when he learned there'd be no sequel to SUPERMAN RETURNS) and he's smarter than that. Two, if I was Henry Cavill, I'd look at each of the previous 9 guys' careers as examples of what not to do.

Well there is the man of uncle coming out next year.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Looking at the most recent picture of Henry again I realized he reminds me a lot of Doug Mahnke's Superman. It's probably the killer jawline.

Henry Cavill is fantastic! Definitely my favorite actor to play Superman! Love the new picture of him from 'Dawn of Justice'!

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Well there is the man of uncle coming out next year.
    THE MAN FROM UNCLE is a movie remake of a TV show franchise that was popular a few decades ago.

Hmmm .... What's the track record on these things?

How did the modern movie remakes of THE AVENGERS (Emma Peel version, not Marvel's), GET SMART, BEWITCHED, STARCHSKY & HUTCH, DUKES OF HAZZARD and THE A-TEAM perform? I don't think they were career-ending by any means, but I doubt any of them were very successful ....

Oh, wait! MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE. But neither Cavill nor Arnie Hammer have even a fraction of Tom Cruise's drawing power. Hope for the best, but we'll see ...

Quote Originally Posted by Clois_Kent View Post
    Henry Cavill is fantastic! Definitely my favorite actor to play Superman! Love the new picture of him from 'Dawn of Justice'!
    Agree that Henry Cavill is fantastic, he's my second favorite actor to play Superman.
    My favorite actor to play Superman is Christopher Reeve and IMHO I think he would have liked Henry too in the role of Superman.

BANNED

So...

http://henrycavill.org/images/Films/...o/Superman.jpg

Guess we finally see the benefits of Henry's recent bulking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois View Post
    Agree that Henry Cavill is fantastic, he's my second favorite actor to play Superman.
    My favorite actor to play Superman is Christopher Reeve and IMHO I think he would have liked Henry too in the role of Superman.
    I definitely like Christophers portrayal too whenever I see the movies.
    Pull list DC: Action Comics. Superman. Grayson. Teen Titans. Superman/WonderWoman. ~ More to follow
    Pull list Marvel: Loki: Agent of Asgard. ~ More to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    So...

http://henrycavill.org/images/Films/...o/Superman.jpg

Guess we finally see the benefits of Henry's recent bulking up.
    Link didn't open for me. But I think this is it, right?

Looks more like Super-Bad-Ass to me!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Link didn't open for me. But I think this is it, right?

Looks more like Super-Bad-Ass to me!
    Looking forward to Henry Cavill as Superman. But why does it have to be Batman vs Superman? Batman won't even see what hit him.

BANNED

I've liked Henry for a long time. He's very gracious and polite, and while I enjoyed him in MOS, I couldn't help but while watching him think he would have been a much better Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I'm pretty sure any of these gentlemen had been told with certainty what would happen to their acting careers after their involvement with Clark Kent, all three would never have taken the role. Cain has had to go outside acting (possibly conservative politics). Welling is doing what since SMALLVILLE exactly? His HELLCATS tv show was cancelled and he's gone through a bad divorce. He's out of Hollywood.

I'm pretty sure most actors like Christopher Reeve get into the acting game not to be known only for one role. If even Reeve, whom I agree had tremendous acting potential, couldn't escape typecasting, then there's reason to be concerned about Henry Cavill's career.

One, he'd look like a real d-bag if he publicly bitched about what missed opportunities Superman was responsible for (like Brandon Routh did when he learned there'd be no sequel to SUPERMAN RETURNS) and he's smarter than that. Two, if I was Henry Cavill, I'd look at each of the previous 9 guys' careers as examples of what not to do.
    I see your point but I don't think that will happen with Cavill. He has a bit more of a following than Cain, Welling and Routh. And from what I've heard/read Dean Cain and Tom Welling aren't exactly the nicest guys around. And if what you mentioned about Routh publicly complaining is true. Then I am sure that their lack of or shortage of parts has much to do with their unpleasant character than it does with being type cast.

Of course things might change. But I know that there are many Bond fans who hope that he will get the role after Daniel Craig steps down. If anything Henry will probably be type cast in leading man roles on tv or made for tv dramas. Similar to what Reeve was doing prior to his accident.

Amazing Member

One, he'd look like a real d-bag if he publicly bitched about what missed opportunities Superman was responsible for (like Brandon Routh did when he learned there'd be no sequel to SUPERMAN RETURNS) and he's smarter than that.
    Link please?

BANNED

I wanna see him wearing shorts in superman vs batman

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I wanna see him wearing shorts in superman vs batman
    Me too! <GRIN>
    Sound good, but, then I might not be able to see the whole film. *faints* *thud* LOL

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lois View Post
    Me too! <GRIN>
    Sound good, but, then I might not be able to see the whole film. *faints* *thud* LOL
    Lol. I was just thinking he would be more relatable/more human if he also wears shorts from time to time.