Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Mattie Franklin in Spider-verse?

Did Martha 'Mattie' Franklin appear in the Spider-Verse?

Thanks.

She died in Grim Hunt and absolutely nobody cared, so likely no.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

Thanks.
    She appeared in her original costume in one panel during a big fight scene involving a bunch of spider-people. She didn't speak or do anything of note.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Unfortunately not, barring that one-panel background appearance in Spider-Verse #2 (I think). And yes, even with J. Jonah Jameson having been her guardian and honorary uncle in her series, the only one who actually cared about her death was Peter Parker, so much so that his guilt-induced nightmare in the issue following Revenge of the Spider-Slayers of all the people he couldn't save included her among them. Of course, she wasn't the only Spider-Woman who got shafted; pretty much any Spider-Woman that wasn't Jessica Drew (in the 616) got utterly ignored in Spider-Verse, and that pissed me off greatly as someone who grew up on Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

[deleted.]
    Last edited by xpyred; 04-22-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I've been reading Spider-Man for 20 years now and this is the one thing i never understood. What was Mattie's connection to Norman Osborn (i never understood that portion of the Gathering of Five/The Final Chapter) and also her connection to Jameson? I never got a chance to read her series either.
    It was her father's connection, actually. Not sure what it was precisely, but he was originally supposed to be the one participating in the Gathering of Five with Osborn. Somehow, he ended up indisposed and Mattie took his place for whatever reason.

Thanks.
    You know they should make a trope for Mattie Franklin.
    "Character that is relevant for one decade, only to be killed off in another and never to be heard or mentioned again."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    . . . Of course, she wasn't the only Spider-Woman who got shafted; pretty much any Spider-Woman that wasn't Jessica Drew (in the 616) got utterly ignored in Spider-Verse, and that pissed me off greatly as someone who grew up on Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman.
    "Spider-Gwen" is actually the Spider-Woman of Earth-65.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    "Character that is relevant for one decade, only to be killed off in another and never to be heard or mentioned again."
    Mattie Franklin was relevant for two years, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Mattie Franklin was relevant for two years, tops.
    I was considering the number of series she appeared in for a time frame.
    It's around a decade but I agree she wasn't remotely relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    They already have, it's called 'C-List fodder'.

Technically also comes under 'Women in Refrigerators'.

Honestly even if she never had her own book again, there was plenty that could be done with her as JJJ's niece and superhero as a supporting character - you could have her hanging out with Anya as a big sister of sorts, have her continue her own private investigation work as she was set up doing in Excelsior (maybe teaming up with Jessica Drew), maybe getting a job at city hall to keep an eye on her uncle and stay up to date on current events, giving Spidey an informant in city hall... But no, she was killed off because lazy writers. Bendis was able to tell good stuff with her in Alias - and the events in that story really indicate how ridiculous that NOBODY noticed her going missing or reacted to her death, since she went missing once before and was in dire straits and Marla & Jonah beat themselves up over not noticing sooner, so honestly Mattie going missing AGAIN should have seen Jonah doing whatever it took to bring her home. Hell, if Mattie died than it'd be logical for Jonah to actually genuinely start hating Spider-Man (think that one BTAS episode where Batgirl dreamed she died and Gordon went after Batman with both barrels)-she was emulating his example AND he failed to save her. But nope, he doesn't even mention her again.

Killing off a character is something that should be undertaken if it's felt it serves the story and the surviving characters, not 'there's too many Spider-Women, stuff some in the fridge.' Kraven's death worked, since he'd become practically a joke in the old days, and it allowed him to bow out with dignity (Kraven's Last Hunt is the ONLY iconic Kraven story). Gwen & Norman's deaths worked because they'd roughly hit dead ends (since the climate at Marvel was such that Peter Parker wouldn't be allowed to get married at that time, and excuses for Norman to repeatedly remember/forget his Green Goblin identity were running thin). Mattie's death was just...there. Especially since the guy who was resurrected by her death was killed at the end of the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzy_D View Post
    She appeared in her original costume in one panel during a big fight scene involving a bunch of spider-people. She didn't speak or do anything of note.
    Thanks.

I thought her 'Gathering of Five' powers were pretty potent; she didn't need the combined spiderwomen powers. She could have been called Marvel Woman instead and still worn a spiderman-like costume.

I fear they are going to erase her from history. Nice gift to her fans.

(On the other hand, she did get 'ultimate power' from the Gathering 5 so she may be alive and forgotten. ??)
    Last edited by scary harpy; 03-06-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    if Mattie died than it'd be logical for Jonah to actually genuinely start hating Spider-Man (think that one BTAS episode where Batgirl dreamed she died and Gordon went after Batman with both barrels)-she was emulating his example AND he failed to save her. But nope, he doesn't even mention her again.
    This is a great point: It really was a missed opportunity to give Jonah a renewed reason to hate Spidey as much as he does. The fact that she saw him as a role model and ultimately died because of it would've been a perfect reason for Jonah to campaign against Spidey's heroics.

I thought her 'Gathering of Five' powers were pretty potent; she didn't need the combined spiderwomen powes.

(On the other hand, she did get 'ultimate power' from the Gathering 5 so she may be alive and forgotten. ??)
    I only picked up a few issues in her series. Did Byrne ever get into what exactly she received from the Gathering of Five? She received "power" - meaning what, exactly? I always assumed, based on her ability to absorb the spider-powers of others, that it was some sort of wish-fulfillment ability, or at least some sort of absorption ability.

Considering both her abilities and her death were ultimately magical in nature, she'd be an easy resurrection. We just need a writer who has a story about her to tell.

-Pav, who would do it himself if given the chance...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I only picked up a few issues in her series. Did Byrne ever get into what exactly she received from the Gathering of Five? She received "power" - meaning what, exactly? I always assumed, based on her ability to absorb the spider-powers of others, that it was some sort of wish-fulfillment ability, or at least some sort of absorption ability.
    Mattie possesses "ultimate power" obtained from the Gathering of the Five ceremony including flight, superhuman strength (able to lift up to 10 tons), speed, reflexes, stamina and agility.

That's what I learned from other sources. All of her other powers she gained from the spiderwomen as best as I can understand...with the possible exeception of enhanced senses; I can't be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Spider-Gwen" is actually the Spider-Woman of Earth-65.
    That's why I added "in the 616." Spider-Gwen may be the Spider-Woman of her universe, but it's an alternate universe to the main Marvel continuity. As far as Spider-Women coming from the 616, unless you count Silk, Jessica was the only one Dan Slott actually used in Spider-Verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    They already have, it's called 'C-List fodder'.

Technically also comes under 'Women in Refrigerators'.

Honestly even if she never had her own book again, there was plenty that could be done with her as JJJ's niece and superhero as a supporting character - you could have her hanging out with Anya as a big sister of sorts, have her continue her own private investigation work as she was set up doing in Excelsior (maybe teaming up with Jessica Drew), maybe getting a job at city hall to keep an eye on her uncle and stay up to date on current events, giving Spidey an informant in city hall... But no, she was killed off because lazy writers. Bendis was able to tell good stuff with her in Alias - and the events in that story really indicate how ridiculous that NOBODY noticed her going missing or reacted to her death, since she went missing once before and was in dire straits and Marla & Jonah beat themselves up over not noticing sooner, so honestly Mattie going missing AGAIN should have seen Jonah doing whatever it took to bring her home. Hell, if Mattie died than it'd be logical for Jonah to actually genuinely start hating Spider-Man (think that one BTAS episode where Batgirl dreamed she died and Gordon went after Batman with both barrels)-she was emulating his example AND he failed to save her. But nope, he doesn't even mention her again.

Killing off a character is something that should be undertaken if it's felt it serves the story and the surviving characters, not 'there's too many Spider-Women, stuff some in the fridge.' Kraven's death worked, since he'd become practically a joke in the old days, and it allowed him to bow out with dignity (Kraven's Last Hunt is the ONLY iconic Kraven story). Gwen & Norman's deaths worked because they'd roughly hit dead ends (since the climate at Marvel was such that Peter Parker wouldn't be allowed to get married at that time, and excuses for Norman to repeatedly remember/forget his Green Goblin identity were running thin). Mattie's death was just...there. Especially since the guy who was resurrected by her death was killed at the end of the story.
    You have just singlehandedly reminded me of all the wasted potential in Mattie Franklin's death. I simultaneously thank you and curse your name.