Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BillyN831

Default What's your favorite indie comic?

What's your favorite indie comic? I'm subscribed to Doctor Who and Calbian and was wondering what are a couple of favorite comics you guys have? Limit to a couple so I don't get ten posts with ten picks resulting in one hundred options to choose from haha. I would like to do some research and choose a few to pick from.

Thanks!

Oh duuuuude, too many to name! Anyway, I'd put Michael DeForge as one of my favouite current comic creators, so I'll nominate his Lose series. Funny, heart warming, heart breaking, gross, endearing... Short stories, longer ones... Everything I want in comics. The story in Lose #5 about a guy going to extreme lengths to avoid awkward conversations, and how it shapes his life into that of a struggling auteur is a personal favourite.

DeForge_Border.jpg

BANNED

It's tough to choose just one, but I'd say Love And Rockets.

Default Independent Recommendations?

Anyone have any great indie recommendations? I'm not talking about Image books either. I mean small press or self published books that you support regularly?

I'm really digging Rachel Rising at the moment.

The black and white simplicity of it gives it a classic Walking Dead feel.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

It swings between 2000 AD and Weekly Shonen Jump these days. Depends if One-Punch Man is running in WSJ this week or not.

BANNED

Afterlife with Archie is amazingly good.

Screenshot (18).jpg

Last edited by hondobrode; 05-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.

BANNED

Fukitor - Crude humor comic, severe gore and nudity. Mostly spoofing old horror comics.

Song Of Songs The Manga Series - Canadian self published action hip hop comic.

Slam Bang - Small press anthology comic. At one time a who's who of small press. Still worth checking out today.

Tim Corrigan's Comics And Stories - The ongoing monthly comic featuring Mightyguy

The Sound Of Drowning - English comic, pretty difficult to explain. Some humor, some drama, and some weirdness for weirdness sake. Mostly digital photo clip art, some pen and ink illustration as well. An anthology style collection of short stories, all written by the same author though.

Ralph Snart Adventures - Former headline act at NOW comics, now a digital only self published comic that comes out less frequently but has kept it's quality at the highest level. My favorite humor comic.

Worth mentioning that these are all mini comic or ashcan format except for Song Of Songs, which is a manga digest (basically still a minicomic but more pages) and RSA, which is digital only.

battlefields.jpg

Battlefields
    Last edited by hondobrode; 05-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.

My favorite indies from the bigger companies excluding Image:

Mind MGMT from Dark Horse
    Rachel Rising from Abstract
    Letter 44 from Oni

From smaller companies:

Flesh of White from Inverse Press (Inverse Press is generally awesome: Clown Town, Roadkill Du Jour)

Scam and Oxymoron from Comix Tribe (another solid small press company with great books regularly)

Nix Comics have put out some great books including the recent Rock and Roll Will Never Die one shot

We're a small press comic company if you ever want to peruse some of our stuff at www.grayhavencomics.com
    www.grayhavencomics.com
    For Creators, By Creators

It varies but Mind MGMT and Rachel Rising usually battle for the top.

For me, almost anything Image puts out is golden. I think I'm getting 90% of their output now and Lazarus, Clone, Black Science, Velvet, Minimum Wage, Sex Criminals, Satellite Sam, Walking Dead, Savage Dragon, Alex + Ada, and Sidekick are right at the top
    www.grayhavencomics.com
    For Creators, By Creators

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Stray Bullets
    Mind MGMT
    Prophet
    Alex+Ada
    Last edited by eye of all; 05-01-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Saga.

who doesn't love lying cat?

Prophet
    Morning Glories
    Saga