Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oink tpb darkhorse art dump

Hey all,

I have an entirely NEW edition of OINK out and I wanted to share some art and answer questions. The book's official release date is now 3/18 and you can ping your local retailer or you can pick up a signed edition from me and also my collector's edition. We are calling this the 20 year anniversary edition, but an improtant thing to know is I have completely repainted the entire book, so it's not just the old book with a new cover...oh no, not hardly.

I'm really proud of how the project came out, the book I have to say is pretty striking and I'm really excited to partnered with Dark Horse. I think they're the perfect publisher for a book like this, but mostly what I'm happy about is that new copies of OINK will continue to open minds instead of being tucked away in peoples personal collections. OINK is also getting some really nice foreign language editions that I'm working on directly wit the publishers. OINK is about education...or lack there of and I think we are entering an amazing age of opportunity to change the face of education. I think a better world is ahead of us and I think it starts with doing away with institutionalized education. You can read more about this topic on my blog where I got into detail about the true real life story behind my Orwellian Fantasy

Kitchen Sink Press was the original publisher of the book and when they went out of business so did any chance of getting a reprint. I could have just brought the film to another publisher and had a straight reprint...but that would have been to easy and I don't like doing things 'easy'. So I spent 5 years of my nights and weekends and completely re-did the book. I did not rush or hurry myself, I took as much time as I wanted with every panel. I'm glad I did and I think it will be a great addition to anyone's collection.

Let the Art Dump begin!

HB_0001_promo_01.jpg
    000_interior_variant.jpg006oink.jpg

I hope you enjoy the book!

John

007oink.jpg sorry this one got out of order- if you want to read the entire 6 page preview you can see it on my site.

process1.jpgprocess2.jpghb_b1_pg_renumber_012.jpg

This is a bit of my process, I added over a dozen new pages into the edition that were not in the original...ontop of re-painting everything.

008oink.jpgside_by_side.jpgoink_mueller.jpg

Here are some examples of before/after pages from the series. The new book for me is just more of what I always envisioned. The first book has it's own unique character, but I was 22 years old when I painted it and I was still wearing a lot of my influences on my sleeve like Simon Bisley, Glenn Fabry. This edition is really all me with a lifetime of making images under my belt.

ps628_before.jpgps628_after.jpg

There were a lot of shots that I just didn't really feel capable of translating what was in my head to the paper, it took a lot of years but when I envisioned a monolith of institution like P.S 628 this is more of what I had in mind.

moleskin_05.jpgmoleskin_06.jpgmoleskin_08.jpg

I always start in my trusty moleskine sketchbook, when I was re-imagining the Warden character I wanted him to emote self-contempt and that subtle look of inbreeding.

moleskin_09.jpgmoleskin_012.jpgmoleskine_2.jpg

For whatever reason it seems I always need to draw things three times to get them the way I want them.

moleskine_14.jpgmoleskine_3.jpgmoleskine_4b.jpg

Spigot who represents every kid ever publicly punished and humiliated for the benefit of control in an institution. My father was telling me over dinner tonight when he was in school the nuns would just whack them for no particular reason whenever they felt like it. While OINK is actually not really an indictment of religion it is about the evil of institutions.

moleskine_13.jpg

Judas and his Angels represented the collective of bullies that roamed the halls of my highschool. These Machiavellian characters that surface in every institutional environment, prison, corporate offices...they're all the same. They travel in packs and they prey on the weak.

color_sketch_1.jpg

I did a bunch of water colors early on to prepare for the new book, get back into the character again.

moleskine_24.jpgmoleskine_25.jpgmoleskine_23.jpg

Even though I do a lot of my work digitally these days I love painting...