Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    didn't DC try to bring these characters back together in a team book in the 90's? I can hardly remember it and it's driving me nuts....something like L.A.W. maybe.....I'm totally drawing a blank.
    L.A.W. - Living Assault Weapons six issue mini-series by Bob Layton and Dick Giordano. I don't think that anyting that happened in that mini ever was mentioned again.

Peace

Big fan of Ted Kord and Vic Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    didn't DC try to bring these characters back together in a team book in the 90's? I can hardly remember it and it's driving me nuts....something like L.A.W. maybe.....I'm totally drawing a blank.
    It was called The L.A.W. (Living Assault Weapons) and it was a 6 issue mini-series.
    Let me say I was overly excited to hear that a comic was coming out featuring the Charlton characters as a team. This was something I was waiting years to see come to fruition. Unfortunately it was doomed from the start...beginning with the title. I often wondered if DC could've used The Sentinels of Justice moniker instead. In any case, the story was not that great and some of the characters went through changes that were not in their best interest. Take Nightshade, she ended up looking like a Zebra and was devoid of any personality. Judomaster's sidekick, Tiger, became a villain with powers that didn't seem plausible for him to possess. Also, a new peacemaker was introduced, which lacked the spirit of the original that had died sometime ago.

I would've liked to have seen the group come together in an attempt to rescue the original Peacemaker, found alive and held captive in an undisclosed place. Perhaps if writer, Bob Layton, kept the story and characters as close as their original Charlton concepts as possible [see picture to the right] The L.A.W. might've went farther than it did.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That's a great look for her, and she's got a great distinctive powerset (tons of shadow/darkforce villains, but pretty rare for a hero). I like it better when darkness manipulators are a little more subtle, and not just 'black Green Lanterns' with all the dark-constructs, but even that's kind of cool.

Always loved the Charlton characters. My introduction to them actually came in the form of two comics published by Americomics in the 80's. Interesting that the Blue Beetle comic cover is pencilled by Pat Broderick, who'd go on to draw Captain Atom for DC.

For those of us who dig Captain Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Always loved the Charlton characters. My introduction to them actually came in the form of two comics published by Americomics in the 80's. Interesting that the Blue Beetle comic cover is pencilled by Pat Broderick, who'd go on to draw Captain Atom for DC.

My introduction was also the Sentinels of Justice comic, which I liked a lot, but I never got the Blue Beetle one. Did Broderick also do the interior art. If not, who did? My second introduction to Captain Atom, who eventually became one of my favorite heroes, was a DC Comics Presents starring Cap, Superman and Firestorm, with art by Dennis Cowan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape and Cowl View Post
    For those of us who dig Captain Atom.

I LOVE Captain Atom. His post-crisis book was, up till around #50, one of the best books DC has published. Love the intrigue, the supporting cast (Goz, DOc Megala, Babylon, his children), the conturbated relationship with Ewing, the action and Cap himself, so powerful, yet human in every way you can think, and a true hero. The Dr. Manhattan New 52 version, not so much. Felt like a waste of potentila going with a subpar derivative version of a derivative version. The art was cool, but that was it. Felt soulless. A shame.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I LOVE Captain Atom. His post-crisis book was, up till around #50, one of the best books DC has published. Love the intrigue, the supporting cast (Goz, DOc Megala, Babylon, his children), the conturbated relationship with Ewing, the action and Cap himself, so powerful, yet human in every way you can think, and a true hero. The Dr. Manhattan New 52 version, not so much. Felt like a waste of potentila going with a subpar derivative version of a derivative version. The art was cool, but that was it. Felt soulless. A shame.

Peace
    I agree with every word of the above. I think you should always humanize Cap, always ground the character. And like you, I think the less he reads like Dr Manhattan the better.

It's good to see there is love for these characters but as I read about the Charlton heroes, but I just discovered than beyond the Ghost I didn't know a lot about Charlton villians. Which one was the most relevant?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post

Man I have always loved Pat Broderick. From the first time I saw his work when he was doing Micronauts to Firestorm, Captain Atom, Doom 2099, and all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Man I have always loved Pat Broderick. From the first time I saw his work when he was doing Micronauts to Firestorm, Captain Atom, Doom 2099, and all the rest.
    He first REALLY caught my attention in Batman and in Legion of Super-Heroes, before Giffen took over.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It's good to see there is love for these characters but as I read about the Charlton heroes, but I just discovered than beyond the Ghost I didn't know a lot about Charlton villians. Which one was the most relevant?
    The Smiling Skull was seen fighting Judomaster and then Sarge Steel.

Punch and Jewelee - Jewelee makes a great arch enemy for Nightshade.
    P&J have been rooted the most in the DCU than other Charlton villains.

Doctor Spectro

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

The Mad Men are foils of Blue Beetle/Ted Kord

Lynx gave Sarge Steel a bit of trouble.
    Last edited by Herowatcher; 06-21-2014 at 03:53 AM.

I loved how they worked Doctor Spectro into the Post Crisis Captain Atom, as a part of his cover story that became real.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Cape and Cowl View Post
    I agree with every word of the above. I think you should always humanize Cap, always ground the character. And like you, I think the less he reads like Dr Manhattan the better.
    co-signed.
    Below has to be one of my top favorite pics of Captain Atom.