Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Avengers, #42

Jonathan Hickman's epic storyline confidently rolls towards its conclusion in "Avengers" #42 as Stefano Caselli and Frank Martin capture an attractive and fascinating array of personas and technology.

Full review here.

Spectacular Member

ANd I for one, can't wait for it to end. And then hopefully we can get Secret Wars into full gear and get it done with so there might be some small semblance of normalcy in whatever comes out the other end.

Mighty Member

I don't know what a "normal" comic book is, but it sounds terrible.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

Have Avengers comics ever been "normal"?
    We need better comics

Spectacular Member

I'm just getting very tired of how huge this whole thing has become. I liked Avengers so much more when they numbered in the teens and they fought things that I could understand, not all of this cosmic level crap.

All-New Member

*SPOILERS* I am not a fan of the Living Tribunal being taken out by a bunch of Beyonders, who supposedly are just as strong as maybe the Infinity Gauntlet--which the Living Tribunal is stronger than! (he didn't partake in the Infinity Gauntlet conflict because he didn't think it was worth fighting over) I seem to recall either a comic or guide stating that the LT is supposedly the only one who watches over the multiverse--so if you have ever seen him in a "What If?" or parallel universe tale, it's all the same being! Now it looks like they're going to use his body for something, and I'll keep reading but the whole concept bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldnite View Post
    *SPOILERS* I am not a fan of the Living Tribunal being taken out by a bunch of Beyonders, who supposedly are just as strong as maybe the Infinity Gauntlet--which the Living Tribunal is stronger than! (he didn't partake in the Infinity Gauntlet conflict because he didn't think it was worth fighting over) I seem to recall either a comic or guide stating that the LT is supposedly the only one who watches over the multiverse--so if you have ever seen him in a "What If?" or parallel universe tale, it's all the same being! Now it looks like they're going to use his body for something, and I'll keep reading but the whole concept bothers me.
    Hickman has been using too much "in media res" dialogue in his stories and it's starting to annoy. The whole section of Hulk and Captain Britain discussing how they're going to somehow use the Living Tribunal's body for some multidimensional function specifically. As if the reader is supposed to have any inkling what they are talking about.......

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    Hickman has been using too much "in media res" dialogue in his stories and it's starting to annoy. The whole section of Hulk and Captain Britain discussing how they're going to somehow use the Living Tribunal's body for some multidimensional function specifically. As if the reader is supposed to have any inkling what they are talking about.......
    It's not that complicated. They're probably going to use his skin as part of the redundant shielding on the ark that T'Challa designed.

You had an inkling. Which is all he wants you to have at this point. And if you combine their discussion with Reed and T'Challa's as MisterFranklin did, you maybe have an even better idea.

I can understand that it can be frustrating not to have things fully explained...I agree that sometimes that is a bad way to tell a story. However, with this it worked. We're wondering how they can possibly survive what is coming. It's made clear to us that it isn't about winning anymore...now it is simply a question of surviving.

So to keep us wondering, Hickman throws out some ideas, but doesn't fully explain. I think that's exactly what he intended, and I think it was the right choice.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'd really like to know what comics Jim Johnson has been reading where "Namor looks out for number one, as always." Cause it certainly hasn't been in Hickman's books, where Namor has been looking out for Atlanteans and then multiple universes, while other members of the Illuminati looked after their own personal desires and morals.

This is the first time I've seen Namor state his goal is his own survival -- which was very much out of character, even with the way Hickman has been writing him. I'm hoping this is more misdirection / a facade for dealing with Black Swan.

I do agree with Jim Johnson about Caselli's art. It's amazing. He's great with the figures and the landscapes and the cosmic , while still able to capture emotions and expressions skillfully.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Reed View Post
    I liked Avengers so much more when they numbered in the teens and they fought things that I could understand, not all of this cosmic level crap.
    Yeah! Avengers should never have anything to do with Cosmic. I mean, it's not like they have a history with that type of material so...

Oh.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misterfranklin View Post
    It's not that complicated. They're probably going to use his skin as part of the redundant shielding on the ark that T'Challa designed.
    The Tribunal's (allegedly) dead but his body (skin) is still capable of providing protection? Why not just cut him up and make new costumes/jumpsuits for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    The Tribunal's (allegedly) dead but his body (skin) is still capable of providing protection? Why not just cut him up and make new costumes/jumpsuits for everyone?
    I imagine it would be very difficult to cut up a cosmic entity. lol.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

I agree with you in part. There's been times when Hickman is ambiguous or leaves out stuff or doesn't explain enough. I think when it leads to confusion or it's an important plot point, it's annoying. But in this case, it seems more about the reader being patient for a few pages until the point is expanded on with Reed and T'challa. Of course, that's if the Living Tribunal's skin is actually going to be used on the ark and not for another purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    You had an inkling. Which is all he wants you to have at this point. And if you combine their discussion with Reed and T'Challa's as MisterFranklin did, you maybe have an even better idea.

I can understand that it can be frustrating not to have things fully explained...I agree that sometimes that is a bad way to tell a story. However, with this it worked. We're wondering how they can possibly survive what is coming. It's made clear to us that it isn't about winning anymore...now it is simply a question of surviving.

So to keep us wondering, Hickman throws out some ideas, but doesn't fully explain. I think that's exactly what he intended, and I think it was the right choice.
    I'm not sure if it was necessarily the right choice here (as it's a little confusing), but it seems the way Hickman writes.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    I don't think there's enough skin to protect the billions of everyone.