Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superman '78?

Default Superman '78?

We have Batman 66. And now Wonder Woman 77. Any chance DC Comics will create a series set in the Christopher Reeves movies universe? It seems a lost opportunity if Superman 78 isn't included along with Batman and WW.

Is there any enthusiasm for a Superman 78 series? Any hints or rumors of one from DC?

What a charming idea. I would give a it a try for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    What a charming idea. I would give a it a try for sure.
    It is a neat idea, since I associate my best memories of the character with Reeve and that movie (and the first sequel).

Not sure how far you could go with it. Batman '66 and even Wonder Woman '77 have the benefit of three seasons worth of stories and characters to pay homage to, while Superman '78 really has two movies (that were good), and a handful of characters.

Not saying I wouldn't buy it, because I definitely would. Maybe a maxi-series of 12 issues or so?

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    It is a neat idea, since I associate my best memories of the character with Reeve and that movie (and the first sequel).

Not sure how far you could go with it. Batman '66 and even Wonder Woman '77 have the benefit of three seasons worth of stories and characters to pay homage to, while Superman '78 really has two movies (that were good), and a handful of characters.

Not saying I wouldn't buy it, because I definitely would. Maybe a maxi-series of 12 issues or so?
    I dunno, I think the lack of content (relatively speaking) could be a benefit. Depending of course, on the writer.

A Superman 78 title could do a lot of original things with the Super-mythos that just wouldnt fly in the main continuity, as well as taking some of the failed concepts (Nuclear Man springs to mind) and developing them into something worthwhile. It'd be nice to see some of the extraneous fat cut off from those films and turned into something beneficial, that perhaps might even end up being used beyond the 78 title itself.

There's a very clear style and tone to the Donner films, a solid writer could introduce things like Brainiac and Bizarro and Parasite and stay true to the spirit of the films without being slaved to the failed sequels.

I wonder if Donner himself would be interested in writing it?

Either way, I'd give it a chance. As much as I dont want to see the comics retread that old ground and be stuck in Reeves nostalgia, I love those films and would certainly give a 78 title a shot.

If we were to then do the same for Shazam, we'd have the makings of a retro-JLA too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno, I think the lack of content (relatively speaking) could be a benefit. Depending of course, on the writer.

A Superman 78 title could do a lot of original things with the Super-mythos that just wouldnt fly in the main continuity, as well as taking some of the failed concepts (Nuclear Man springs to mind) and developing them into something worthwhile. It'd be nice to see some of the extraneous fat cut off from those films and turned into something beneficial, that perhaps might even end up being used beyond the 78 title itself.

There's a very clear style and tone to the Donner films, a solid writer could introduce things like Brainiac and Bizarro and Parasite and stay true to the spirit of the films without being slaved to the failed sequels.

I wonder if Donner himself would be interested in writing it?

Either way, I'd give it a chance. As much as I dont want to see the comics retread that old ground and be stuck in Reeves nostalgia, I love those films and would certainly give a 78 title a shot.

If we were to then do the same for Shazam, we'd have the makings of a retro-JLA too.
    You make some valid points. Donner writing with Alex Ross art (I can dream, right?) would be incredible, I think.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It is a pretty neat idea. I think a similar thread was started sometime last year.

The nearest that I think you'll get to this was the Geoff Johns Superman run from around 5-6 years ago (possibly longer). It was an unabashed homage to both the Silver Age tropes of Superman mythology and the Richard Donner movies. I'm thinking of the following runs: Secret Origin - Superman & The Legion Of Superheroes - Last Son (actually co-written with Donner) - Brainiac - New Krypton - World Of New Krypton (where Johns handed the reins over to James Robinson and the momentum started to flag but it was still decent enough) - Last Stand Of New Krypton - War Of The Supermen.

When Johns was handling the run, alongside Gary Frank, Superman was even drawn to resemble Christopher Reeve. It was an epic run that effectively threw everything and the kitchen sink in there (the only thing missing was Mxyzptlk). Legion Of Super-Heroes. Mon-El. The trinity of evil (Luthor, Zod, Brainiac). The bottled city of Kandor. Krypto. I'm not one to permanently wallow in comic-book nostalgia, and I'm glad the current Superman titles aren't plowing the same furrow, but the big kid in me loves that run. I know it didn't end as well as it might have done but still....
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 03-07-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: No such villain as Brianiac

BANNED

I started a similar thread last year. I think it's a no-brainer for DC, and while I'd also love to see a Superman '53, I don't think it would do as well as one based on the Reeve films.

My suggestion was to get Geoff Johns to write the first arc, with Gary Frank on covers and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez on interiors. The first arc could adapt the abandoned plot for Superman V, which was to involve Brainiac.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'd read it. I'd like to see more branching out with the books put out for Superman. The new Bizarro book (mini) is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    It is a pretty neat idea. I think a similar thread was started sometime last year.

The nearest that I think you'll get to this was the Geoff Johns Superman run from around 5-6 years ago (possibly longer). It was an unabashed homage to both the Silver Age tropes of Superman mythology and the Richard Donner movies. I'm thinking of the following runs: Secret Origin - Superman & The Legion Of Superheroes - Last Son (actually co-written with Donner) - Brainiac - New Krypton - World Of New Krypton (where Johns handed the reins over to James Robinson and the momentum started to flag but it was still decent enough) - Last Stand Of New Krypton - War Of The Supermen.

When Johns was handling the run, alongside Gary Frank, Superman was even drawn to resemble Christopher Reeve. It was an epic run that effectively threw everything and the kitchen sink in there (the only thing missing was Mxyzptlk). Legion Of Super-Heroes. Mon-El. The trinity of evil (Luthor, Zod, Brainiac). The bottled city of Kandor. Krypto. I'm not one to permanently wallow in comic-book nostalgia, and I'm glad the current Superman titles aren't plowing the same furrow, but the big kid in me loves that run. I know it didn't end as well as it might have done but still....
    Wasn't the Byrne Superman drawn to resemble Reeve, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'd read it. I'd like to see more branching out with the books put out for Superman. The new Bizarro book (mini) is a good start.
    I've long been a proponent of a "Channel 52: Featuring Lois Lane" book. Sort of like Gotham Central, but with reporters and global (Khandaq, Bialya, Metropolis, wherever the story is!) instead of limited to one city.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I agree a min featuring Superman 78 would be good. with Lois and Clark 94 would be good, involving the romantic adventures of our favorite couple would be good.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Wasn't the Byrne Superman drawn to resemble Reeve, as well?
    I honestly don't know. Obviously there's a strong resemblance but I don't think it's the identical likeness brilliantly depicted by Frank. I wonder what the copyright issues would have been like at that particular time.

Just moved house last week and, checking through all my comic-book stuff, I find a couple of things missing. One of them is a British reprint of 'The Man Of Steel' #5 (I think). The one where Clark returns to Smallville, reconnects with Lana and, rather traumatically, learns of his Kryptonian heritage. What a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    I agree a min featuring Superman 78 would be good. with Lois and Clark 94 would be good, involving the romantic adventures of our favorite couple would be good.
    The biggest problem I could see either a '94 OR '78 book run into is that the images would HAVE to be the visual duplicates of those actors, and I think there could be a royalty issue there. I know it's why The Enchanted princess is not included in the Disney Princess line.

FTR, I could easily see the Christopher Reeve estate agreeing to the use of his visual image, but I have no clue about Margot Kidder or the other actors (Jimmy, Luthor, Perry). The same would hold true for Teri Hatcher (who seems to be busy enough these days that I'm not sure I could imagine her consenting to it.)
    Last edited by UltraWoman; 03-08-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Did DC need permission from the Reeve estate when Gary Frank was drawing Superman to resemble him?

As I said (in last year's thread) I would like to see this happen. Of course there would be Superman 78. Set in the continuity of the four Reeve movies + one Slater Supergirl movies. Also there is Superman 78; the Donner cut. Superman Returns would be Superman 06. And if Donner is on board there could be Superman 78; Donner's original vision.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.