Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking back at Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

With as many images and posts that have come up on the Lane and Kent appreciation board (I'm including myself in this) I thought it might be enjoyable to have a more open forum to talk about Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Supermanas a whole. The concept (originally conceived to be only about the Daily Planet and Lois until the end episodes until they got the OK to use Superman), the execution over it's four season run, the abrupt ending and the concepts that had to be left hanging and what they might have meant had there been a fifth season. Everything is on the table. I expect there will be plenty of official photos to post but don't take those as the end-all/be-all of this topic. There's a LOT of stuff to cover. It's take on the characters and their interactions, the story-lines that we loves/hated. Everything about the show is on the table.

I guess I'll have to start. The first season is my favorite, but there is definitely a distinct difference in tone in the first season versus the others when it came to the action scenes. Some of them were better later, some weren't. I'm actually torn on the New Kryptonian arc (end of Season 3-beginning of season 4). On the one hand, I dislike how much Clark/Kal had to choose to leave behind when it comes to his Kryptonian heritage. On the other, what happened to that betrothal was never clearly addressed. For all we know, Kal/Clark was still married to Zara when she left (despite never consummating).

I always had a soft spot for the show, as a Superman fan. While the quality can be debatable, it's held up decently in my eyes. I still watch it on the Hub whenever I can

Incredible Member

Love the first season with Lois & Clark competing for stories and their banter. I also enjoyed Clark's interaction with Martha & Jonathan. Loved the interaction between Lois, Clark, Perry and Jimmy. Didn't like Lois agreeing to marry Lex though at the end she said no. Mason arc ended in tragedy, Clone Lois was a disaster and even now don't understand what was point of New Krypton arc. Overall when the series ended it felt incomplete.

Best live-action Superman representation. (I love Chris Reeve, but the plots kind of dragged on.) This show was what Superman was all about. It was lighter than all the crap we get today, with neck-snapping Clark and whatnot. It gave Clark an identity, and Lois was strong and independent. I also got a chance to meet Dean Cain at a convention and he was super (that was actually unintentional) nice.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I wish we could have found out where the baby came from on the last episode. My theory would be that it came from the future when human and Kryptonians DNA could be spliced, so he's Lois and Clark's.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Too many fake outs in regards to Lois and Clark marrying. The worst one was 'frog clone(?)' Lois. By the time they actually tied the knot, most of the audience had already left IIRC. The show went from all Luthor in season one to sporadic Luthor afterwards, at least in later seasons Luthor was bald as he should be. Too many of the villains were portrayed by campy sitcom stars. Ex: The Jeffersons, Bronson Pinchot, Shelly Long, Harry Anderson and Delta Burke.

I liked the show, but some parts of it were just awful. Like how they tried to make Clark's lame excuses for running off into an ongoing gag. One time he said he needed to go get some cheese. If I'm Dean Cain sitting at a table read and I get to that, I just say no way.

Still, there were some pretty good episodes. The ones with H.G. Wells were fun. So was Ultrawoman and Jimmy Olsen's dad being a spy.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Astonishing Member

IIRC the first season was the best.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    IIRC the first season was the best.
    I agree. The second was decent, overall the third and forth were just silly.

The first season was the best one. I actually prefer the costume Cain wore on the pilot compared to suit worn in the rest of the series. But yeah the later seasons just got silly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    overall the third and forth were just silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    the later seasons just got silly.
    No one appreciates frog-eating clones any more...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    No one appreciates frog-eating clones any more...
    I liked the Vatman ep. Kind of wish they'd followed it on the next season somehow. Maybe that we find out Luthor had a BUNCH of Super-clones hiding in the tunnels beneath Metropolis that Intergang has access to (maybe through Nigel).

I, too, stopped watching regularly by the third season. All the sabotaging of Clark and Lois' relationship in those latter seasons just made it tedious to watch, to the point that I stopped caring.

It was more of a Superman for the 35-49 soap opera-watching crowd, but it had a lot of enjoyable moments before things started coming apart at the seams.

I always enjoyed it. And it did give me my favourite Superman scene from across any medium he's ever appeared in...