Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Superman '78?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Cosmic View Post
    I started a similar thread last year. I think it's a no-brainer for DC, and while I'd also love to see a Superman '53, I don't think it would do as well as one based on the Reeve films.

My suggestion was to get Geoff Johns to write the first arc, with Gary Frank on covers and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez on interiors. The first arc could adapt the abandoned plot for Superman V, which was to involve Brainiac.
    I remember that thread.

The thing with the Superman movies is that there were adaptations done in the past. Not of the first two Superman movies, but of III and IV. The first two movies were under some restriction--I think it had to do with Mario Puzo having written the original screenplay for both (although a lot of that was completely rewritten for the movies).

I'm guessing those restrictions no longer hold. I think the whole Puzo thing also caused a problem with Brando (they were a package deal) and as a consequence his scenes could not be used in SUPERMAN II. But since those scenes have been used in the restored Donner cut of SUPERMAN II and in SUPERMAN RETURNS, that would suggest that the Brando/Puzo restrictions no longer apply.

When SUPERMAN THE MOVIE was cast, the AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS No. 14 pointed out the similarity of Chris Reeve to Curt Swan's Superman: https://myfavouritefunnies.files.wor...smtreport2.jpg <--this is posted on my extra blog page Another You Revue--more about that there.

While I know John Byrne took some inspiration from the movies, I don't really think his Superman looks anything like Reeve. And he certainly contradicted a lof of the elements in those movies.

DC also adapted the SUPERBOY TV show. I realize that show isn't exactly in continuity with the movies, but the Salkinds intended it as sort of a spin-off from them. As well, I thought that Tom Welling looked a lot like Christopher Reeve--more than Jeff East.

BANNED

Reeves was picked for likeness of Swan SuperMan art. I think Brynes version had a bigger Jaw. Bryne also made the logo bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    DC also adapted the SUPERBOY TV show.
    They were some fun books.

Ah, the cover of issue 1...heh

Superboy learning he's bullet-proof (I can still remember that scene. Tee Hee).

Alas, we only had the first two seasons here in the UK. I've never gotten round to seeing the others (I think I have them somewhere, though).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dr3821 View Post
    We have Batman 66. And now Wonder Woman 77. Any chance DC Comics will create a series set in the Christopher Reeves movies universe? It seems a lost opportunity if Superman 78 isn't included along with Batman and WW.

Is there any enthusiasm for a Superman 78 series? Any hints or rumors of one from DC?
    An excellent suggestion! I would buy it without a second (or a first at that matter) thought.