View Poll Results: What is your general consensus on Batman Eternal?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am loving Batman Eternal, excited for this long awaited ending.

18 40.91%
  • Batman Eternal has been okay, it's a decent story.

14 31.82%
  • I am not liking Batman Eternal, I can't wait for this weekly series to be over.

4 9.09%
  • I quit Batman Eternal a long time ago...

8 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batman Eternal: Wrap up Retrospective

Batman Eternal wrapping up now is slowly becoming one of my favourite Batman books. It's a love letter to Batman, those who are close to him (Jim Gordon, Alfred, Bat Family, etc.), a solid string of stories that involves a lot of the notable rogues gallery (as well as not so notable like Signalman and Cluemaster) and in the end there's a method to the madness. You have new key players such as the new Robin in training Harper, Alfred's daughter Julia Pennyworth, as well as Spoiler which is an interesting anti-hero type character and Jason Bard who essentially sends Jim Gordon to jail and takes his place as commissioner. The art has been consistently really well done (despite artists changing every book or so) and shout-out to Jason Fabok for making solid covers for the series.... What are your thoughts CBR community?

I find Eternal very hit and miss. Some issues i like, usally ones that tend to evolve Julia, while others just bore me. I do kind of like that its kind of been an experimenting grounds for artists. The range of different styles we have seen has been rather interesting.

Only read a few issues. I liked it but I got too far behind after a while and didn't wanna blow so much money on this series. Yall think it would be worth reading whenever it comes out in trades?
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Incredible Member

I've enjoyed the book a lot. Also one of my favorites. Good job everyone!

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

With the series nearing conclusion I have to say I've been disappointed in Batman Eternal, but that was probably to be expected. I've never been particularly excited by big stories with casts of thousands, the only pleasant surprise of which has been Julia Pennyworth. Of course I was sold on getting this series because my favorite character, Steph Brown, would return to the universe and appear in a "pivotal" role. And to be fair there have been a half a dozen or so issues with enough Steph Brown action to make buying them worth my while. However the character as portrayed here is not nearly enjoyable as the Batgirl Steph from before the new 52 or in the Future's End one-shot. I'm still holding out hope that somehow Steph's participation will be as integral to the plot and conclusion of Batman Eternal as the promotions led me to believe, but that leads to the question I want to ask.

Do you feel that Steph's role in this mess has been truly integral to the plot? Or is it more ancillary in nature; more for the purpose of simply introducing the character and dragging folks like me into buying the series? Has the knowledge Steph discovered really been important in what has happened thus far? Or has it just been a red herring reason for people to chase her around? Have I missed something important?

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Only read a few issues. I liked it but I got too far behind after a while and didn't wanna blow so much money on this series.
    Same here. I lost interest in the middle when it became all Batman all the time for multiple issues in a row and fell behind. Decided to save my money and pick it back later if it sounded like it got more interesting and just haven't. I like Batman ok, but was mostly interested to read about everyone else. Is there enough going on in all the B-characters' plot lines at the end to make it worth reading through once the series is complete?

I wish the art had been more consistent. Losing Fabok midway through was particularly bad, since he felt like a good artist for the "core" issues. In fact, I wish that the "core" issues had been a little more cleanly separated from the "side quest" issues.

I've come to accept the fact that it's probably going to end on a cliffhanger. Honestly, it makes the ending a whole lot more enjoyable. It's been an okay read so far. Pacing definitely killed a lot of momentum for this title, maybe next year Tynion or Seeley can take over plotting instead of Snyder. Their issues tend to be the strongest.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

A cliffhanger? That would be awful given that "Endgame" is supposed to be post-Eternal. How long after Eternal isn't clear, but surely it can't be that long.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It was very hit and miss to me with there being far more misses. Honestly, there have been entire issues by certain writers that I've skipped completely and I actually got bored with it about half way through. If I had it to do over I think I would just trade wait it instead. I probably wouldn't have gotten as bored as quickly that way.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I havent missed a week yet. Although it's definitely had its ups and downs ive enjoyed it, there were a fair share of good if not great issues and mini arcs. Really enjoyed the Architect issues and the Hush/"league of losers" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    A cliffhanger? That would be awful given that "Endgame" is supposed to be post-Eternal. How long after Eternal isn't clear, but surely it can't be that long.
    Oops, I forgot about Endgame, I haven't been reading it.

Maybe not a cliffhanger then. But I definitely think they're not going for a cut and dry "Batman saves the day" ending given how coy they've been with revealing the mastermind's identity.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

I like it, but there are pacing and focus problems.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Has been okay. It's a decent story.

That said, I probably won't pick up volume 2 because a lot of it is drawn out.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 03-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Eternal like the rest is just too bloated. Too inconsistent. Too hot and cold.

Too many characters as well. Shows you how many new characters aren't worth the panel space, like Joker's Daughter.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”