Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Default Red Hulk Appreciation: The incREDible Hulk

I've recently been reading through Jeff Parker's Red Hulk run, and I thought that it was about time that Red Hulk finally got some appreciation!

Who is The Red Hulk?
    The Mysterious Red Hulk first appeared in 2008, and killed the classic Hulk enemy, the Abomination, beginning the long running mystery: Who is Red Hulk? Since then, the rampaging Red giant has been a hero, villain, Avenger and leader, as well as starring in 3 ongoing series.

Soon, in a shock revelation, the Red Hulk was revealed to be the Hulk's ultimate nemesis spoilers:
    Thunderbolt Ross.
    end of spoilers After the Hulk War, The Red Hulk was arrested by SHIELD, but was soon released, and given a second chance by Steve Rogers, Director of SHIELD. Soon, he joined the Heroic Age Avengers, and began his quest for redemption. In Marvel NOW, the Red giant has became the leader of The Thunderbolts, another group of Anti-heroes looking for redemption. On the run from his own past, and blamed for the murder of his own secret identity, he has a new team, and a new mission. Rulk Smash!
    As Thunderbolts has just ended, where will The Red Hulk appear next? And with Doc Green depowering the Hulks, will The Red Hulk survive?
    Let the appreciation and celebration begin!
    Last edited by Mighty Roman; 03-09-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

I have appreciation for the title of this thread. I like how you put the RED in IncREDible. Was that used on the Covers of Red Hulk? If not, it should have been!
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    I have appreciation for the title of this thread. I like how you put the RED in IncREDible. Was that used on the Covers of Red Hulk? If not, it should have been!
    It was only used on the title of the first trade (pictured above), but I thought that it was too good not to include on here.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    It was only used on the title of the first trade (pictured above), but I thought that it was too good not to include on here.
    Oh yeah, now I see it! Ha! Really good, they should have played about with that some more!
    Red is often used as the colour of ANGER so the Red Hulk does make a lot of sense on that level.
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Yep. Interesting fact: In the 1970s Hulk TV show, the studio was originally going to change the Hulk's skin colour to red, because it was the colour of anger.
    Also, red is the colour of heat, which is one of the Red Hulk's other powers-they're based around heat, as well as rage. I can't find a scan of the page, but in one issue of Hulk, Red Hulk's heat level is so high, that when he's in the desert, he turns sand into glass, just by walking on it.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have been reading through Jeff Parker's run on Red Hulk, so I thought that I'd share my thoughts on the latest issue that I've read.

Red Hulk #30
    'Marvel Two-In-One'
    What Happens: The Hulk's old enemy Xemnu, the Living Hulk finds his way back onto Earth. After effortlessly beating both Hulk and Red Hulk, the Impossible Man, (who is broadcasting the fight on galactic TV), combines the 2 Hulks together. Needless to say, Red and Green don't mix well together.
    What Did I think of it:I really enjoyed this issue. It's a nice 'breather' story between arcs (the 6-Part Scorched Earth arc had just finished), and lets Red Hulk encounter a villain he wouldn't normally meet. The 2 Hulks arguing with each other as they fight for control of their shared body is great, and so is Red Hulk's reaction to the Shakespearean-Speaking Hulk clone, Kluh:
    'C'mon Banner, we can't be beaten by something that ridiculous.'However, this issue felt like a very quick read, and Xemnu didn't really seem to have a motivation other than 'I will destroy this world!' However, all in all, it was a good issue, with a nice change in tone from the serious action-thriller tone of previous stories.

I loved his on-going book. I hope that he survives Omega Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad937 View Post
    I loved his on-going book. I hope that he survives Omega Hulk.
    Same here. Judging by solicits and covers though, Red Hulk is having his appointment with the good doctor very soon....

Meanwhile, here's some recommended reading/where to start for Red Hulk:
    Hulk Vol 2 #1-24:Red and Green/Fall of the Hulks-This ongoing series features the first appearance of The Red Hulk, and the long-running mystery of who he is. Although the title is (at first), shared with his green counterpart, the series mainly features Red Hulk, with Green Hulk only appearing occasionally, then not at all. The early issues show just how powerful Red Hulk is, including an amazing battle with Thor on the moon.
    Red Hulk #25-58- This series shows The Red Hulk's quest for redemption. The first arc shows Red Hulk trying to stop doomsday protocols he nearly activated, and later stories shows The Red Hulk in a more sympathetic light, as well as showing more about his early days and childhood, as well as spoilers:
    his life as Thunderbolt Ross.
    end of spoilers It gives Rulk some new friends and foes, but is still a pulse-pounding thriller, especially when he's on the run for the murder of his own secret identity!
    Avengers Vol 4 #7-12: Infinity Quest/Who will wield The Gauntlet? Red Hulk is thrown through the window of Avengers tower, after being beaten by an infinity gem-wielding Hood. Forced to team up with The Avengers, there's some great Red Hulk action in these issues, as well as The Avengers not quite trusting Red Hulk.
    Avengers Vol 4 #14: Fear Itself: Red Hulk SMASH!- Although this battle appears in the Fear Itself chapters of Red Hulk, this Avengers tie-in tells it in a far better way. The Red Hulk has an epic battle with the hammer enhanced Thing, and fights for his life to protect the Avengers, to try and finally earn their trust. Highly recommended.
    Thunderbolts Vol 2-Red Hulk leads a team of Anti-Heroes consisting of himself, Deadpool, Elektra, Agent Venom and The Punisher. This series also follows on some themes from Red Hulk, such as the Scorched Earth Protocols.

Astonishing Member

Loved, loved, loved what Parker did with Red Hulk in his run. He really tried to humanize Ross and move him forward as a character, something that I find increasingly rare in Marvel comic book universe.

A part of me still wished has had just retired with Annie by his side. Also, I did not read Thunderbolts. What ever happened to her?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Loved, loved, loved what Parker did with Red Hulk in his run. He really tried to humanize Ross and move him forward as a character, something that I find increasingly rare in Marvel comic book universe.

A part of me still wished has had just retired with Annie by his side. Also, I did not read Thunderbolts. What ever happened to her?
    I don't think that Annie appears in Thunderbolts. That said, Red Hulk's solo series had some pretty amazing supporting characters-Annie and Reggie Fortean spring to mind.
    Parker definetely helped humanize Ross. I still love that issue where he's hiding in a barn, sees an old plane and reminisces about his childhood. It was really well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

Annie hadn't appeared since the end of Mayan Rule (one of my favorite arcs). Annie was great but she was a Life Model Decoy. Looking back I wonder if Jeff Parker wanted Ross and Annie to be a couple like Vision and the Scarlett Witch? I like them as great friends but not a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad937 View Post
    Annie hadn't appeared since the end of Mayan Rule (one of my favorite arcs). Annie was great but she was a Life Model Decoy. Looking back I wonder if Jeff Parker wanted Ross and Annie to be a couple like Vision and the Scarlett Witch? I like them as great friends but not a couple.
    I preferred them as friends too. I thought that Parker implied that they could become a couple but they never actually would. I always thought that it was kind of sad how nearly all of Red Hulk's friends were LMDs. Although if Red Hulk gets another solo series, I'd definitely like to see what happens to Annie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    I preferred them as friends too. I thought that Parker implied that they could become a couple but they never actually would. I always thought that it was kind of sad how nearly all of Red Hulk's friends were LMDs. Although if Red Hulk gets another solo series, I'd definitely like to see what happens to Annie.
    This is the last time that I saw Annie was Mayan Rule. I loved Dale Eaglesham's art.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I liked Eaglesham's Art, but I didn't like the way he drew The Red Hulk himself. My favourite Red Hulk artist is probably Gabriel Hardman. He really made Black Fog look terrifying, and was really great at drawing action scenes. I love some of his covers for the series-here's one of my favourites:
    Hulk_Vol_2_30_1_Textless.jpg

I'll soon post my thoughts on Red Hulk 30.1, the issue which introduces one of my favourite Red Hulk villains-Reggie Fortean. After finding this poster on a website, that got me thinking-Rulk's been in some epic battles over the years-who is your favourite Red Hulk enemy?
    imagesP4F0UDUC.jpg
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line