Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Roman View Post
    Maybe Ross will take the role of Reed Richards on the SHRA side. Perhaps we could have hints at the Red Hulk during Civil War too. Or at least some kind of Hulkbuster squad forming. I'm glad that Ross now has a big, connective presence in the MCU in Phase 3, similar to Coulson in Phase 1.

Considering that in the MCU... S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more, I see Ross taking on the role of Maria Hill rather than Reed Richards.. in charge of enforcement of the Registration Act and containment of any superhero that doesn't comply. I'm sure Ross has developed plenty of toys that were intended to counter the Hulk that could be used against any rebellious hero that confronts his enforcement.

Regarding the Red Hulk' s appearance in Civil War, I do think there's a legitimate possibility. The natural assumption is the Red Hulk could cause some late night destruction and collateral damage and have it blamed on/frame the Hulk to further the Registration Cause (just like everyone thought Bruce's Hulk had killed the Abomination and destroyed that Russian village in Hulk #1).

And then at the end of the film, after the heroes have assumingly reconciled, Captain America & Stark finally learn who was really pulling the strings and pitting heroes against heroes .. and Red Hulk teams up with Baron Zemo & Crossbones (an assumption made because neither of these villians were in the original Civil War comic either) in a final Good Guys versus Bad Guys battle.

Now how does Ross become the Red Hulk in Civil War you ask? I'd bet on Ross injecting himself with a mixture of Banner's blood collected from Stern's lab AND the Extremis virus.
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 05-14-2015 at 09:35 AM.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheStrongestOne View Post
    Considering that in the MCU... S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more, I see Ross taking on the role of Maria Hill rather than Reed Richards.. in charge of enforcement of the Registration Act and containment of any superhero that doesn't comply. I'm sure Ross has developed plenty of toys that were intended to counter the Hulk that could be used against any rebellious hero that confronts his enforcement.

Regarding the Red Hulk' s appearance in Civil War, I do think there's a legitimate possibility. The natural assumption is the Red Hulk could cause some late night destruction and collateral damage and have it blamed on/frame the Hulk to further the Registration Cause (just like everyone thought Bruce's Hulk had killed the Abomination and destroyed that Russian village in Hulk #1).

And then at the end of the film, after the heroes have assumingly reconciled, Captain America & Stark finally learn who was really pulling the strings and pitting heroes against heroes .. and Red Hulk teams up with Baron Zemo & Crossbones (an assumption made because neither of these villians were in the original Civil War comic either) in a final Good Guys versus Bad Guys battle.

Now how does Ross become the Red Hulk in Civil War you ask? I'd bet on Ross injecting himself with a mixture of Banner's blood collected from Stern's lab AND the Extremis virus.
    I can se this happening. And I so want this to happen. Maybe an apparent Hulk rampage, which destroying small town could be the 'Stamford' disaster that kicks of the War?
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

I can se this happening. And I so want this to happen. Maybe an apparent Hulk rampage, which destroying small town could be the 'Stamford' disaster that kicks of the War?
    Me too my friend! And you may be right about the Hulk rampage being the cause of the childrens' deaths. I saw pictures over the past few days of the crew curently filming the infamous funeral scene.. but I couldn't tell if that church was supposed to be in Africa or not. So we'll see. Can't wait to get more clues of how this will play out!

I always loved the incredible rage and cosmic infused gamma power displayed in this panel. Ed McGuinness at his best!

Amazing Member

here's some recommended reading/where to start for Red Hulk:
    Thunderbolts Vol 2-
    I can't agree. It looked to be a goofy fun series at the start, especially with the 'Thunderbolts' being led by 'Thunderbolt', but it very quickly took the humanising and heel-face turn done by Jeff Parker and flushed it down the john. It let me know that not only were Ross's days as the Red Hulk suddenly a lot more limited, but that folks at Marvel absolutely couldn't stomach having a developed character and had to revert him to a snarling, one-dimensional villain as soon as they could. Compare that wind-up from Mayan Rule posted a couple of pages back - with him chillin' with Annie, A-Bomb, Machine Man etc. - with the sudden switch to the constant 'horrified revulsion' from writer and characters of pretty much anything Ross said or did. (Heck, what about the megalomaniac proto-Maestro Doc Green Hulk calling him 'always a monster' in Hulk #15?)

This is why I'm extremely sceptical about Rulk reappearing in comics anytime soon, let alone as a burgeoning hero and Avenger. If he does, I don't think I'm gonna like it unless the two words 'Jeff' and 'Parker' feature in it somehow. The news about Ross appearing in two upcoming movies are interesting and have potential, but I'm cynical about that leading to Rulk appearances, too. I have a feeling a lot of people going to see these movies aren't even aware there was ever a red version of the Hulk, and are only familiar with and want to see a Ross who's a 'mean military-industrial complex guy who wants to experiment on the Hulk'. So they'll have something in common with the Marvel editors and writers, then. (Heck, four movies in and the Hulk is still the mindless monster - who can barely even articulate a "Hulk smash!" more than once a movie - that he hasn't consistently been since, what? The late eighties? Early Nineties?)

I'm gonna go buy TPBs of Jeff and Gabe's run on Hulk, reread them every few months, and that'll do me 'til such time as some future writer wants to revisit this particular 'classic comics moment of their youth'. If it ever is, for any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I can't agree. It looked to be a goofy fun series at the start, especially with the 'Thunderbolts' being led by 'Thunderbolt', but it very quickly took the humanising and heel-face turn done by Jeff Parker and flushed it down the john. It let me know that not only were Ross's days as the Red Hulk suddenly a lot more limited, but that folks at Marvel absolutely couldn't stomach having a developed character and had to revert him to a snarling, one-dimensional villain as soon as they could. Compare that wind-up from Mayan Rule posted a couple of pages back - with him chillin' with Annie, A-Bomb, Machine Man etc. - with the sudden switch to the constant 'horrified revulsion' from writer and characters of pretty much anything Ross said or did. (Heck, what about the megalomaniac proto-Maestro Doc Green Hulk calling him 'always a monster' in Hulk #15?)
    In my opinion the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Axel Alonso. This is a case where the new head honcho comes in (eager to impress) and messes with the successful status quo quite simply because none of the status quo were his ideas. At the time Jeff Parker's Red "HULK" comic was pushing 60 issues and its sales were still middle of the pack / at a respectable level, right around where the current HULK run has been selling (excuse me, I mean current Doc Green run). In that time, Jeff Parker had earned a loyal readership and Red Hulk was certainly deserving of a new re-launched title under Axel "eager-to-make-changes" Alonso's new MARVEL NOW re-numbering. But Axel had an agenda to push which was more female heroes... so Axel came up with the brilliant idea to have Jeff Parker shift his Red Hulk book title character to Red She-Hulk (without changing the numbering) hoping that readership will keep following the book like lemmings.. with no clear understanding of what made the original Ross monster so compelling over Betty. I'm all for giving more female characters their due, but this was not the way.

Then to add insult to injury, as you stated Marvel disregarded all this terrific character growth that Jeff Parker established in order to fit in Axel's new Marvel Now THUNDERBOLTS team with their theme being the color red (isn't that cool??) Now, regardless of this, I liked the team concept and looked forward to reading it... but felt it was destroyed by poor writing and art.

Now all this rich history has been totally reversed. The Red Hulk has been depowered, among other gamma beings, with Doc Green proclaiming Gamma creatures are too dangerous to keep in the world... while never consenting or coming to the gripping conclusion (like a good writer would do) that based on Doc Green's new theory... Doc had become Ross. And Ross was right. He was always right.

Of course it was completely ridiculous that while A-Bomb was being heroic and saving a train, Doc Green explained to Rick he must be depowered because he was too dangerous!

The news about Ross appearing in two upcoming movies are interesting and have potential, but I'm cynical about that leading to Rulk appearances, too. I have a feeling a lot of people going to see these movies aren't even aware there was ever a red version of the Hulk, and are only familiar with and want to see a Ross who's a 'mean military-industrial complex guy who wants to experiment on the Hulk'. So they'll have something in common with the Marvel editors and writers, then.
    I think the appearance of the Red Hulk as a villain is very possible. First, in developing the first draft of The AVENGERS, Joss Whedon revealed he played with the idea of adding both the Wasp and the Red Hulk. But regardless of that, I don't feel the lack of audience numbers aware of the Red Hulk has a direct correlation with the chance of a cinematic appearance. I don't believe neither Vision nor Scarlet Witch was high on the public "awareness scale". But anyone who watched "The Incredible Hulk" can tell that Ross covets the Hulk's power... and would go with the notion that Ross would inject himself with a mixture of Banner's blood and the Extremis virus... if push came to shove.

(Heck, four movies in and the Hulk is still the mindless monster - who can barely even articulate a "Hulk smash!" more than once a movie - that he hasn't consistently been since, what? The late eighties? Early Nineties?)
    You are so right. Preach my brother! PREACH!

Amazing Member

In my opinion the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Axel Alonso.
    Now I have a name for my voodoo dolls!

Aah... All the ranting I've done over the last few days has been a kind of release. I think I'm moving on to acceptance now.

so Axel came up with the brilliant idea to have Jeff Parker shift his Red Hulk book title character to Red She-Hulk (without changing the numbering) hoping that readership will keep following the book like lemmings.. with no clear understanding of what made the original Ross monster so compelling over Betty. I'm all for giving more female characters their due, but this was not the way.
    I hear that. I've nothing again Betty as Red She-Hulk, but the sudden switch of characters jarred a bit, and the whole arc with the - what was it? Ancient-society cosmic SHIELD doohickey? Bored me silly.

Marvel Now THUNDERBOLTS team with their theme being the color red (isn't that cool??)
    Lol! I think I raised an eyebrow at that, when Venom morphed his white bits to red.

Now, regardless of this, I liked the team concept and looked forward to reading it... but felt it was destroyed by poor writing and art.
    Ayup. Some of the concepts were relatively solid - especially the overarching one of Ross making up for past mistakes - but it just got a bit too... scapegoaty.

while never consenting or coming to the gripping conclusion (like a good writer would do) that based on Doc Green's new theory... Doc had become Ross. And Ross was right. He was always right.
    You know, I've been obsessing over the Hulk/Doc Green (even as far back as Planet Hulk) as moving towards his Maestro persona. But you're absolutely right. He'd become the Ahab!

Of course it was completely ridiculous that while A-Bomb was being heroic and saving a train, Doc Green explained to Rick he must be depowered because he was too dangerous!
    I'm gonna say that while I thought there were a few too many Hulks running around, I liked A-Bomb and what he became. Both Hulk and Rulk were broody, grumpy hulks (well, Rulk starting at Scorched Earth) but A-Bomb was like the male version of Shulkie: revelling in his power and confidence. I think A-Bomb was what a lot of us would've been like, with hulk powers and our wits about us. It was less of a surprise that he was depowered (along with Reshul... Red She... Betty), but still a shock that it was done so readily with little fanfare, and a pointer to what would eventually happen to Ross.

I don't believe neither Vision nor Scarlet Witch was high on the public "awareness scale".
    Heh! True. On trips to see Marvel films, I'm the one who has to explain who the heck half of these people are...

But anyone who watched "The Incredible Hulk" can tell that Ross covets the Hulk's power... and would go with the notion that Ross would inject himself with a mixture of Banner's blood and the Extremis virus... if push came to shove.
    Aye. With Sterns' guidance, that could be a way to go about it. A bit like the Avengers cartoon version.

You are so right. Preach my brother! PREACH!
    I think I'd settle for a few more 'smashes' and 'punies' at this point, but I was hoping for a few more extended one-liners about Thor or Stark being a jerk or whatever. With pronouns! Give Lou Ferrigno something a wee bit meatier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    I think I'd settle for a few more 'smashes' and 'punies' at this point, but I was hoping for a few more extended one-liners about Thor or Stark being a jerk or whatever. With pronouns! Give Lou Ferrigno something a wee bit meatier.
    I just watched "Age of Ultron" for the second time this weekend and I still can't get over Hulk didn't have a single line of dialogue. It's like he regresses in every cinematic appearance. I believe he had three lines in The Incredible Hulk : "Betty", "Hulk Smash!" and my personal favorite.. the eerie "Leave me alone". But now his verbal skills are reduced to nothing? Don't get me wrong.. I love my Hulk savage... but not a mute!

Spectacular Member

I just watched "Age of Ultron" for the second time this weekend and I still can't get over Hulk didn't have a single line of dialogue. It's like he regresses in every cinematic appearance. I believe he had three lines in The Incredible Hulk : "Betty", "Hulk Smash!" and my personal favorite.. the eerie "Leave me alone". But now his verbal skills are reduced to nothing? Don't get me wrong.. I love my Hulk savage... but not a mute!
    Hulk was not the main focus of the movie this time. They made Hulkbuster more popular than Hulk. This might be the reason for him not having any dialogues. But I agree with you. Few classics such as "Hulk Smash" would heave been great.
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Spectacular Member

I always loved the incredible rage and cosmic infused gamma power displayed in this panel. Ed McGuinness at his best!

I have this as a poster in my room...
    Green vs Red...
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

BANNED

In my opinion the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Axel Alonso. This is a case where the new head honcho comes in (eager to impress) and messes with the successful status quo quite simply because none of the status quo were his ideas. At the time Jeff Parker's Red "HULK" comic was pushing 60 issues and its sales were still middle of the pack / at a respectable level, right around where the current HULK run has been selling (excuse me, I mean current Doc Green run). In that time, Jeff Parker had earned a loyal readership and Red Hulk was certainly deserving of a new re-launched title under Axel "eager-to-make-changes" Alonso's new MARVEL NOW re-numbering. But Axel had an agenda to push which was more female heroes... so Axel came up with the brilliant idea to have Jeff Parker shift his Red Hulk book title character to Red She-Hulk (without changing the numbering) hoping that readership will keep following the book like lemmings.. with no clear understanding of what made the original Ross monster so compelling over Betty. I'm all for giving more female characters their due, but this was not the way.

Then to add insult to injury, as you stated Marvel disregarded all this terrific character growth that Jeff Parker established in order to fit in Axel's new Marvel Now THUNDERBOLTS team with their theme being the color red (isn't that cool??) Now, regardless of this, I liked the team concept and looked forward to reading it... but felt it was destroyed by poor writing and art.

Now all this rich history has been totally reversed. The Red Hulk has been depowered, among other gamma beings, with Doc Green proclaiming Gamma creatures are too dangerous to keep in the world... while never consenting or coming to the gripping conclusion (like a good writer would do) that based on Doc Green's new theory... Doc had become Ross. And Ross was right. He was always right.

I have to say that you're exactly right. Yet how ironic it was for the roles to be switch. Here's hoping the Red Hulk returns someday in the Post Secret Wars world.

At least in time for the Civil War movie.

BANNED

I prefer this splash.

'Cause we all know that green always beats, or rather SMASHES, red.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    I prefer this splash.
    'Cause we all know that green always beats, or rather SMASHES, red.

Yep, and the latest Greenie win over Red came with the help of hand-to-hand combat training, a radiation assorbing inhibitor and the assistance of Deadpool! [Hulk (2014) #14-15]

I guess you couldn't resist to be a Mr. Troublemaker my good friend but please remember that in THIS Appreciation Thread... we only prefer Red things ripping appart Green!!

Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 05-26-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I have to say that you're exactly right. Yet how ironic it was for the roles to be switch. Here's hoping the Red Hulk returns someday in the Post Secret Wars world.

At least in time for the Civil War movie.
    I'm hoping for that as well, I loved his solo series.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thad937 View Post
    I'm hoping for that as well, I loved his solo series.
    That is a great image Thad. It really shows Red's leadership abilities. Is that from AvX?