Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheStrongestOne View Post
    That is a great image Thad. It really shows Red's leadership abilities. Is that from AvX?
    Yes it's from Avengers vs X-Men. I loved when Rulk was on the Avengers roster. I hope that Marvel brings Rulk back after Secret Wars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thad937 View Post
    Yes it's from Avengers vs X-Men. I loved when Rulk was on the Avengers roster. I hope that Marvel brings Rulk back after Secret Wars.
    Yeah, Steve and Ross had a real nice connection and mutual respect during that time. Too bad it didn't last...

Amazing Member

Good times...

Here's one of my favourite moments. (Also something I mentioned in another topic, for Anarchist's benefit) Dunno if it's the done thing to scan and show five pages, but that's the problem with sequential art...

Continued...

Amazing Member

That last page still tickles me. There's so much you can read into it. He has to keep a low profile because of SHIELD's parole and Fortean's pursuit, but even so he looks a bit embarrassed and unsure about the townspeople's reaction. He's doing what he can because he's got the power to help, and falling back on his duty of protecting the public (however misguided his pursuit of the Hulk was, it was at least on one level about protecting the public) only now he's actually being praised and thanked for it. For being a superhero. For being a hulk.
    But not the Hulk. Did the people know about recent shenanigans in Washington? Even if they did, it might seem like small potatoes compared to a few decades of the other guy throwing Richter-scale tantrums. Not to say the Hulk never saved anyone, or was never lucid; but here Rulk's relatively calm and coordinated, making clear he's there to help, not rampaging and ranting in the third person. (Or doing his thing in sullen silence) That was one of the first inklings of what's been said often enough, and of what Thad's and TheStrongestOne's scans show: the potential of a reliably rational hulk, a team-player and team-leader, eager to make up for his misdemeanors and getting a taste of what 'legitimate' superheroics feel like. I was happy that Bendis in the Avengers seemed to get it too.

Also: Gabriel Hardman! Lush.
    Last edited by Vermis; 05-29-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    That last page still tickles me. There's so much you can read into it. He has to keep a low profile because of SHIELD's parole and Fortean's pursuit, but even so he looks a bit embarrassed and unsure about the townspeople's reaction.

That is such a great moment! You can feel how just disturbingly uncomfortable Ross is around people.. and uncomfortable with emotions in general (no pun intended). No matter how cool, calm and calculated Ross portrays himself to be, throw a little gratitude his way and he is lost like a little child in a grocery store. Jeff Parker was so awesome at channelling that. And the fact that Ross felt more comfortable with L.M.D.s and Machine Man rather than other humans? So compelling. Boy I miss Jeff Parker's Rulk!!!

Did the people know about recent shenanigans in Washington? Even if they did, it might seem like small potatoes compared to a few decades of the other guy throwing Richter-scale tantrums.

I would imagine everyone in the United States knew about Red's brief takeover of Washington D.C. because he broadcasted live over National television from the Oval Office. But after listening to the things Rulk said like.... "I have no intention of disrupting things that make this country great"... we need to "fix things that have gone wrong"... and "I will continue to serve and protect these United States"... in a world overrun with super beings I not only wonder how much of the population were NOT actually seeing Rulk as a 100% out & out villain but I wonder how much of the anti-government population was actually agreeing with what Red was saying.

Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 05-30-2015 at 02:17 PM.

That last page still tickles me. There's so much you can read into it. He has to keep a low profile because of SHIELD's parole and Fortean's pursuit, but even so he looks a bit embarrassed and unsure about the townspeople's reaction. He's doing what he can because he's got the power to help, and falling back on his duty of protecting the public (however misguided his pursuit of the Hulk was, it was at least on one level about protecting the public) only now he's actually being praised and thanked for it. For being a superhero. For being a hulk.
    But not the Hulk. Did the people know about recent shenanigans in Washington? Even if they did, it might seem like small potatoes compared to a few decades of the other guy throwing Richter-scale tantrums. Not to say the Hulk never saved anyone, or was never lucid; but here Rulk's relatively calm and coordinated, making clear he's there to help, not rampaging and ranting in the third person. (Or doing his thing in sullen silence) That was one of the first inklings of what's been said often enough, and of what Thad's and TheStrongestOne's scans show: the potential of a reliably rational hulk, a team-player and team-leader, eager to make up for his misdemeanors and getting a taste of what 'legitimate' superheroics feel like. I was happy that Bendis in the Avengers seemed to get it too.

That was early with the new creative team Gabriel Hardman and Jeff Parker. Jeph Loeb had Ross' character grow after Code Red and he started helping people. I miss Red Hulk's book there was so much potential.

Rumor: A New Hulk May Appear In The MCU
    According to our friends over at We Are Wakanda, a new Hulk will be appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe soon. In the article, they claim that their sources are telling them that a new Hulk would be due to...
    http://mcuexchange.com/rumor-a-new-h...ar-in-the-mcu/

Yeah, I think I already read a dozen articles postulating this rumor. I try my best to keep my hopeful expectations in check however. I do try to keep in mind that some websites create these "rumors from credible sources" based on conjecture, with the ultimate goal to increase traffic to their site. And now that General Ross has been confirmed for "Civil War", it's a logical direction to go. So I try to keep a level head and refrain from jumping around the house, bouncing off the walls with excitement while my girlfriend wonders... "What's wrong with him??"

However in hope that the Red Hulk does indeed make an appearance, it was very positive to hear a month ago that William Hurt was seen reporting to the set at the beginning of filming. Usually with big Special Effects laiden films, the scenes that require the most FX are filmed first, so the cgi team has the most amount of time possible to finish their shots. So William being there so early is a good sign. Of course it's no definitive smoking gun, but it's a good sign. << FINGERS CROSSED >>
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 06-02-2015 at 06:44 AM.

I've always liked Red Hulk as a character, but I have one gripe/complaint: why doesn't his mustache stay when he hulk's out? Has that ever been explained? Because a Hulk with a 'Stache would be so bad ass, and would really make him stand out even more (well, even more than a giant red Hulk.)
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post
    I've always liked Red Hulk as a character, but I have one gripe/complaint: why doesn't his mustache stay when he hulk's out? Has that ever been explained? Because a Hulk with a 'Stache would be so bad ass, and would really make him stand out even more (well, even more than a giant red Hulk.)
    Here's a link to a podcast containing a Jeph Loeb interview. http://wordballoon.blogspot.com/2010...executive.html
    Fast forward to minute 32:00. The official answer from Loeb is :

LOEB : "The hair on his body contracts within the layer of skin that are building up on top of it".

And when Loeb says hair he not only means the mustache, but the eyebrows, chest hair, arm hair, etc. I guess the hair on his head is too long and only contracts half way which makes it short and spikey. And why Red transforms differently than the Hulk is because the Rulk is part cosmic energy where the Hulk is only gamma.

Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 06-02-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Amazing Member

Personally, I think the real reason was so the 'tache wouldn't give it all away in the 'who is the Red Hulk?' mystery. Which is fine by me.

The last issue of Thunderbolts finally had Rulk with the white moustache and (partially?) white hair. Dunno why exactly, something to do with his powers being messed with. But still one of the few redeeming features of that series, IMO. I'd post up a scan, but I was clearing out a load of dissatisfying comics recently, and, well...

Quote Originally Posted by TheStrongestOne View Post
    So I try to keep a level head and refrain from jumping around the house, bouncing off the walls with excitement while my girlfriend wonders... "What's wrong with him??"

Of course it's no definitive smoking gun, but it's a good sign. << FINGERS CROSSED >>
    Ditto!

Personally, I think the real reason was so the 'tache wouldn't give it all away in the 'who is the Red Hulk?' mystery. Which is fine by me.

The last issue of Thunderbolts finally had Rulk with the white moustache and (partially?) white hair. Dunno why exactly, something to do with his powers being messed with. But still one of the few redeeming features of that series, IMO. I'd post up a scan, but I was clearing out a load of dissatisfying comics recently, and, well...

Ditto!
    I don't think that Red Hulk was fully powered? I'm still disappointed in how Thunderbolts ended. After the brilliant character growth Jeph Loeb and Jeff Parked created was mostly ignored. I hope that Rulk gets a new book after Secret Wars.

Ending.jpg

BANNED

I have to say...one would think that in Ross is mind this could be what Banner felt when the Hulk does something good for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad937 View Post
    I don't think that Red Hulk was fully powered? I'm still disappointed in how Thunderbolts ended. After the brilliant character growth Jeph Loeb and Jeff Parked created was mostly ignored. I hope that Rulk gets a new book after Secret Wars.

Ending.jpg
    I agree. At that moment, I believe Ross is depowering.. basically not at a stage of a fully powered Rulk. If he was fully powered, Ross would have had the mustache as Red Hulk for that entire issue.

Now regarding a new Red Hulk book, I would simply loooooove it. Even more if Jeff Parker would resume writing duties, continuing his good work before Axel Alonso forced that lead character change in his run (Red She-Hulk).

But right now, I'm pretty doubtful it will happen. Not under the current post-secret wars climate. In a universe where it seems not even Bruce Banner will be a Hulk, it hardly seems likely Ross will be one (unfortunately).
    Last edited by TheStrongestOne; 06-04-2015 at 08:32 PM.

On another thread someone asked for funny comic panels... and since I pulled this out I figured I would share it here too. Here's a hilarious favorite of mine from (Red) HULK Issue #52 :